Gus Edwards

Called the post in this amazing thread yesterday during the game.

Dude gains some yards vs a trash *** defense and his delusional fanboys come out the wood work.

Advertisement
Called the post in this amazing thread yesterday during the game.

Dude gains some yards vs a trash *** defense and his delusional fanboys come out the wood work.

I agree there's an overreaction to how the RB's looked yesterday against UVA, who 's just bad defensively.

But just know that if you can't give credit to Gus for looking good yesterday, you can't give Walton credit for looking good either.

Ran well today. Hope he gets more carries next week

He ran pretty strong for a change, though Linder being out of there has helped quite a bit. The only concern I had was why Gus was yanked for the next series or 2 after picking up like 6-8 yards per carry. Regardless, he did pretty good once he came back again.

UM

Just don't understand the hate he gets. I hope he doesn't transfer next year. Miami has the most depth in the acc at running back 1-4 imo. Gus Edwards looks like a NFL back physically but he needs to be featured more. Yearby needs to get faster but he is who he is.. Walton needs better vision and a little bit more speed but other than that he's a really good player. He can make something happen out of nothing which is what I like. We seen that on that screen play.

Advertisement
Gus looked good yesterday he needs more carrys going forward and if he comes back then I think we have to move homer to corner.

Homer was 1 of my favorite recruits coming in. I dont know how he hasnt seen the field since that 1 fumble. I love him at RB. But im a defensive guy, and because of that I been salivating at the mouth at the thought of him at corner or safety. With our need at the positions next year, Id love to see him start taking reps there now. Huge upside, guys a playmaker.

Easily done. Just ask Travis- Do you know how much longer corners play in the league than running backs? Do you know how much more corners make in the league than running backs? Job over.

Ran well today. Hope he gets more carries next week

He ran pretty strong for a change, though Linder being out of there has helped quite a bit. The only concern I had was why Gus was yanked for the next series or 2 after picking up like 6-8 yards per carry. Regardless, he did pretty good once he came back again.

UM
I've wanted to see him get more carries even since duke played here. That size and speed combo is really ridiculous for Gus Edwards imo. Even on that screen play that was called back Gus looked very explosive

Gus Edwards should've been the starter since game 1.

Yes, I know blackvern owns the patent, but I've said this for a while too.

Could you tell us why Gus should've been the starter from day 1??

His size/speed combination is off the charts, and he has good vision. I guy like that needs touches - he should be allowed to get in a groove. He is a hoss that needs to be fed (the rock)

Advertisement

I've always been in the Gus should be our starter camp along with blackvern. I've also always said that Gus isn't a stud, he's just the best of what we've got. There's only a small separation in talent between the 3.

It's definitely a Hillary/Trump situation - people on the board like who they like, and nothing's going to change their minds.

But IMO my depth chart should be:

1) Gus - Yes, he has runs where he dances to much, or goes down WAY too easy for a 230 lb. back. But there are some runs where he carries defenders an extra 2 yards better than any RB we have. He's our biggest and fastest back, so IMO he's our best bet for both picking up short yardage and hitting a long run. You just have to live with some very frustrating runs in between.

2) Yearby - He's our quickest and shiftiest, the best at making something out of nothing. But he has no power and no speed. It's hard to get a clean shot on him, but when you do, he goes down easy. He's best used as a change of pace. He'll wear down if he gets too many carries, so best to try and keep him fresh and get those occasional bursts throughout the game.

3) Walton - I will say he's probably the best all-around RB with running, receiving, and blocking. He's also got great balance, which leads to his best runs when the defense thinks he's already gone down, but he's managed to stay up. It's just that his running style drives me insane. Balance should not be your best attribute as a RB. Even in his last 2 good games against Pitt & UVA, his style remains the same. He's slow and stiff. It's funny when people say Yearby has no speed when Walton has no speed either, but runs as if he thinks he does. His vision is maddening. He locks into one defender when he's running, causing him to totally misses holes/running lanes. He'll cut away from that 1 defender he's locked into no matter what, with no awareness of anyone else on the field - meaning he runs directly into his own guy or another defender over and over.

4) Homer - Can't say here. A couple 4th quarter carries against FAMU isn't enough to judge. I do agree that he's probably our best athlete at RB, but Choc is probably a better athlete than Homer, so what does that mean?

Bottom Line - Walton is Richt's guy. Love him or hate him, that's the RB who'll be getting the majority of the carries the next 2 years unless we recruit a stud. Gus's carries are coming at the expense of Yearby, not Walton. If Richt didn't make a switch when Yearby outperformed Walton 4 games in a row vs. GT-FSU-UNC-VT, then he won't ever be making a change. He's made up his mind, Walton is his guy. Everyone else is competing for the #2 RB.

And we should stop referring to any of them as NFL RB's. They're NFL RB's in the same way that Jarrett Payton, Javarris James, Mike James, or Damien Berry were. They may make a team for a year or two, which is a great accomplishment in itself, but none are going to have any sort of impact in the NFL.

Last edited:

His size/speed combination is off the charts, and he has good vision. I guy like that needs touches - he should be allowed to get in a groove. He is a hoss that needs to be fed (the rock)

"off the charts" ? Easy brother ...... let's if he can move from the 3rd option at RB to the 2nd spot before we get too excited .
- Kid has been injured - looked healthy yesterday - we have 3 more games including the Bowl to see what his upside is

Gus the bus on transferring at the end of the yr:

“I’ve been here since my freshman year,’’ he said. “This is home. All my brothers are here. A new coaching staff, but at the same time they’re family now, so I wouldn’t want to turn my back on them no matter what.”

True MuthaFuggin Cane!!

Advertisement
If we had a conventional pro style I back system where Gus always had his shoulders square to the line I think he should be the starter.
but we don't.....

Advertisement
Back