Gus Edwards Out For Season

It's just my opinion, but expecting them to produce same way a Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel will is unrealistic.

Georgia will likely get carries for 3-4 RBs, but Nick Chubb is the featured back - not Sony. So better hope Yearby puts up numbers comparable or better than Sony.

Sony had 400 yards last year. He shared time with Gurley and Chubb, missed 4 games with an injury, and only had 100 less yards than Yearby. Sony also ran for 4 more TD's than Yearby.

I expect Sony to have a better year as a backup than Yearby will as a starter. He's just a different level of talent than Yearby.

It's not a question of who's the better back, but who gets the most touches. The UGA backfield has more talent and more depth, including the return of former 5-star RB Keith Marshall, who was on par or better than Gurley before getting injured. You might be right, but if Sony, as Chubb's backup, outgains Miami's starter then it will be a really long season.

That's always been my argument against Yearby. He gained so many yards in HS because he was getting a ridiculous amount of carries - much more than anyone else. Per carry, his numbers don't stack up.

Keith Marshall - I feel bad for that guy. He tore his right ACL for the 2nd year in a row last September, so I don't see him as a threat to take carries from Chubb & Michel. It'll be a great story if he does, but he's just not the same back.

I think Michel & Yearby each get around 175 carries this year if their healthy. But Michel can do more when the ball is in his hands, so I think he'll have the better year.

Advertisement
You guys think Walton, Yearby or Choc will be able to pick up a blitz because they are coming often.....

In the Miami game, Cook had 7 carries, 2 runs over 25 yards, and 2 TD's. He has 40-1 odds in Vegas to win the Heisman.
In the ENTIRE Year, Yearby had 86 carries, 1 run over 25 yards, and 1 TD. He couldn't beat out Gus Edwards for a starting job.

Yearby vs. Cook may have been an argument at this time last year, but that ship has sailed.

Look - I hope Yearby, Walton, and Choc all ball out this year. I'm rooting for them. But I'm only expecting to see it in flashes. One game Yearby will look great, then average the next 2 games. One game Walton will get hot and we'll ride him. Then he doesn't do much the next 2 games. That's what I'm realistically expecting.

It's just my opinion, but expecting them to produce same way a Dalvin Cook or Sony Michel will is unrealistic. But I hope I'm wrong because if they do we're gonna have a great year.

So what? So Dalvin Cook breaks more long ones than Yearby. He also gets caught behind the line of scrimmage or after minimal gain than Yearby does, hence the same YPC average for both.

Their YPC was similar because Yearby gained 70% of his yards against our weakest opponents - FAMU, Ark St, Cincinnati & UNC. Yearby had 509 yards all season. Cook had 424 yds in the last 3 games he played - against Florida, GT, and Oregon.

Against ACC opponents their YPC was - Yearby 4.3, Cook 6.3. In High School Cook's YPC was more than Yearby every year by this much - Soph (2.2 yds), Junior (4.6 yds), Senior (1.4 yds).

You can keep arguing stats if you want, but do you have an argument as to why Cook has Heisman odds and Yearby couldn't beat out Gus?

Of course Cook is going to have Heisman buzz while Yearby doesn't. He played a lot more last year, and got tons more exposure. Yearby didn't "beat out" Gus because the intent was always to have a two back system with those two anyway, based on their different qualities, to keep the defenses off balance.

Cook played more than Yearby because he's more talented.

Do you think if Cook were at Miami, he'd be behind Edwards on the depth chart, and be getting a 50/50 split in carries with a healthy Edwards?

Cook played more than Yearby because Yearby was behind one of the all-time leading UM rushers in history, while Cook was behind much lesser backs, including some that got injured.

So what? So Dalvin Cook breaks more long ones than Yearby. He also gets caught behind the line of scrimmage or after minimal gain than Yearby does, hence the same YPC average for both.

Their YPC was similar because Yearby gained 70% of his yards against our weakest opponents - FAMU, Ark St, Cincinnati & UNC. Yearby had 509 yards all season. Cook had 424 yds in the last 3 games he played - against Florida, GT, and Oregon.

Against ACC opponents their YPC was - Yearby 4.3, Cook 6.3. In High School Cook's YPC was more than Yearby every year by this much - Soph (2.2 yds), Junior (4.6 yds), Senior (1.4 yds).

You can keep arguing stats if you want, but do you have an argument as to why Cook has Heisman odds and Yearby couldn't beat out Gus?

Of course Cook is going to have Heisman buzz while Yearby doesn't. He played a lot more last year, and got tons more exposure. Yearby didn't "beat out" Gus because the intent was always to have a two back system with those two anyway, based on their different qualities, to keep the defenses off balance.

Cook played more than Yearby because he's more talented.

Do you think if Cook were at Miami, he'd be behind Edwards on the depth chart, and be getting a 50/50 split in carries with a healthy Edwards?

Cook played more than Yearby because Yearby was behind one of the all-time leading UM rushers in history, while Cook was behind much lesser backs, including some that got injured.

So you do think Edwards would start over Cook? I hope you're right

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back