Gunter at Safety

edge

Junior
He played corner on his INT. Then he played S the rest of the game. Never seen him back there but he looked natural at the spot.

Advertisement
I like Gunter at safety. Looks more natural there.

Deon and Gunter looked good together there at safety.

I like the grouping of Howard, Artie and Elder at corner. Good turnaround by them. But must continue.

It's not really a turnaround. It's a finally letting these guys play football. CBS looked awesome all night in press coverage

Advertisement
He played corner on his INT. Then he played S the rest of the game. Never seen him back there but he looked natural at the spot.

I wonder if Tracey Howard assumes the Gunter role next season.
I think he is better suited for safety.

I like Gunter anywhere in secondary - not on the bench. Also like Elder and Crawford as corners, especially Corn.

From what I can see at the game Gunter played safety mostly when we blitzed the Weak side LB (Grace). And he rolled down to play man like a CB. Either way you look at it Dallas Crawford is not dependable out there in space when a play action can be run.

Advertisement
Burns needs to go back to safety

Agreed. I was just about to post that. I still think Burns is very capable of developing into an all ACC corner especially if we continue to run the defense like we did last night. He looks as if he is starting to settle in to the position. This was his best game yet. I just think he would be a more natural safety.

You could see last night how much more comfortable and natural these kids look in a more man oriented aggressive and downhill scheme.

Grace had his best game of the year as did Burns, Gunter, Kirby and Kamalu. It's Duke but it's a nice start. Now let's keep it going and get better every week.

I'm telling you. Give me Deon and Gunter at safety and sprinkle some Carter. And Howard, Artie and Corn at corner. With the scheme we ran last night. We will have a top flight pass Defense.

Idk about Dallas Crawford, but so far he's been very underwhelming. IDK man but with the way Gunter looked out there at the position. I'm liking Gunter out there at safety more and it allowed Deon to play very well, he looked great. And I want to see more of Carter too, he's a head hunter.

Antonio Crawford I call him the flip a coin. For every good play, he makes a bad one next.

Give me Howard, Artie and Corn at corner. Stick to it, I'm telling you.

I'm telling you. Give me Deon and Gunter at safety and sprinkle some Carter. And Howard, Artie and Corn at corner. With the scheme we ran last night. We will have a top flight pass Defense.

Idk about Dallas Crawford, but so far he's been very underwhelming. IDK man but with the way Gunter looked out there at the position. I'm liking Gunter out there at safety more and it allowed Deon to play very well, he looked great. And I want to see more of Carter too, he's a head hunter.

Antonio Crawford I call him the flip a coin. For every good play, he makes a bad one next.

Gunter was not playing safety. When we blitzed her rolled over to cover.

Whatever it was. He looked good at it. To me he looked like he was playing some safety. Few times he would line up at safety and drop back or come up.

Advertisement

Whatever it was. He looked good at it. To me he looked like he was playing some safety. Few times he would line up at safety and drop back or come up.

Keep in mind that Gunter had a simplified assignment during those coverage packages.

He did very well and your observations are correct. But if he moved over to an actual safety position would his skill set translate to the completely different techniques and assignments that a safety has?

From what I can see at the game Gunter played safety mostly when we blitzed the Weak side LB (Grace). And he rolled down to play man like a CB. Either way you look at it Dallas Crawford is not dependable out there in space when a play action can be run.

Were you sitting in section 116?

Keep in mind that Gunter had a simplified assignment during those coverage packages.

He did very well and your observations are correct. But if he moved over to an actual safety position would his skill set translate to the completely different techniques and assignments that a safety has?

That is what good coaching does, finding ways to put guys where they excel, Foster at VT finds scrubs all the time to make plays all over the field.

Advertisement
Gunter was indeed lined up at safety at times. Normal occurance, and I like it. We're really going to miss his versatility. I like Burns at corner. The times we were in man, did a great job staying with Crowder on crossing routes. No substitute for Artie's speed.

Were you sitting in section 116?

Yeah man section 116, row 12.

I thought that Gunter analysis sounded familiar. I was the guy sitting in front of you who you had that convo with. Good time mane.

Gunter lines up at safety @ times. He did it since last year... Artie does it as well.

Last yr Gunter played alot of safety vs Wake.

Raysean Jenkins coming back next year will be good...definate upgrade over Crawford/Fentress crew we trot out.

Advertisement
Back