Coaching Guidry's defensive philosophy

His teams barely miss any tackles or give up any explosive plays…

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Advertisement
Like 3 miserable dudes. For ***** sake you guys who do what you are doing here need to stop attributing this crap to CIS posters as a whole.

And now you brought this negativity into this thread. Take it elsewhere please.
I think you are making a fair point, as I hate overgeneralizations (which happens a lot here), but the energy and posting level is very high on the "glass half-empty" crowd, which can give the impression it dominates the board much of the time.

All i know is this is huge + for guys like LT and JW. We need to hit the portal hard for some more secondary guys after watching a couple games of marshall last season. he puts a lot on the backend so they need to be ready. with that being said what i like so far from watching is how aggressive he is but not to the point of manny where he did it just to do it LG seems to be more methodical with it. plus seeing guys lined up in the right spots has been nice to see there were a couple plays in the ND game they were lined up wrong and they paid for it. That marshall defense pursuit to the ball carrier was insane they always had so many guys flying to the ball. He did have a decent amount of transfer talent on that marshall defense which doesnt surprise me how they looked vs ND. With how aggressive he is the deep shot is there every once in a while but i much prefer having the O have to work for their yards instead of the aggressive bend dont break where you get picked apart. excited to watch some more tape.
You are hitting on a key point here. I love more aggressive mindsets, but ultimately the name of the game (offense or defense) is keeping your opponent off-balance, and it seemed like Manny would be predictably aggressive, which led coordinators like Phil Longo to completely take advantage of it.

Based on that breakdown of his scheme, the author said he subbed to match personnel, not to change coverages. Yet he played alot of coverages out of the same personnel. I love that. It also means players gonna have to learn multiple coverages. His teaching will be tested year 1. Also means fans have to be open to his D being what it can truly be in year 2. Im open to that. Just nothing atrocious

Advertisement
Based on that breakdown of his scheme, the author said he subbed to match personnel, not to change coverages. Yet he played alot of coverages out of the same personnel. I love that. It also means players gonna have to learn multiple coverages. His teaching will be tested year 1. Also means fans have to be open to his D being what it can truly be in year 2. Im open to that. Just nothing atrocious
He may have to simplify a bit at first which will be interesting to monitor. This scheme should do wonders for tweener types like Cyrus Moss & Malik Bryant. And I’m curious how his scheme will impact the DT position. Still like the hire a lot.

He may have to simplify a bit at first which will be interesting to monitor. This scheme should do wonders for tweener types like Cyrus Moss & Malik Bryant. And I’m curious how his scheme will impact the DT position. Still like the hire a lot.
Yeah i do like it as well. It seems both sound where u can out talent teams, but also innovative to challenge good teams.

Advertisement
1. Manny’s D was aggressive but super undisciplined and he didn’t teach fundamentals. He just liked mass chaos and hoped for the results to pop up, which they did, until teams figured him out.

2. I believe Guidry likes to use 2 high safeties which limits explosive plays.

3. I just hope our corners can cover a simple slant route if we truly are this aggressive next year. Amazes me how many times I see slants wide open with 2-3 yards of separation on a consistent basis.

It is weird that his Defense, to me, looks like what we actually expected from Steele?

I mean.. 4-2-5, aggressive, stand-up ends, DBs hovering around the LOS..

Steele tried to play an aggressive man coverage def against MTSU and our CB's couldn't handle it. Also multiple coverage busts by the Safeties in a couple Zone Match looks. People blamed DJ Ivey but we had 4 diff CB's get burnt on deep passes that game. Going to be disheartening if Guidry comes and tries to do the same, but our Corners are still *** or too slow when you ask them to cover in press man. People are quick to blame the coaches/players for things but never like to break it down. Go look at how Al Golden DB's played in Man Coverage under Diaz, versus how Diaz DB's played in Man Coverage under Diaz (and now Steele).

Advertisement
1. Manny’s D was aggressive but super undisciplined and he didn’t teach fundamentals. He just liked mass chaos and hoped for the results to pop up, which they did, until teams figured him out.

3. I just hope our corners can cover a simple slant route if we truly are this aggressive next year. Amazes me how many times I see slants wide open with 2-3 yards of separation on a consistent basis.
I think manny’s failure as HC (and the last year as a HC where he ran the D) has clouded people’s memory of how good our defense was when manny was the coordinator

It wasn’t pure chaos and it was very disciplined and elaborate, we did very well in explosive plays allowed as well as pretty much every other important metric

I’ll be thrilled if we can have that same level of performance under guidry and pair him with a competent OC

Manny’s kryptonite is a delayed run lol

Advertisement
Steele tried to play an aggressive man coverage def against MTSU and our CB's couldn't handle it. Also multiple coverage busts by the Safeties in a couple Zone Match looks. People blamed DJ Ivey but we had 4 diff CB's get burnt on deep passes that game. Going to be disheartening if Guidry comes and tries to do the same, but our Corners are still *** or too slow when you ask them to cover in press man. People are quick to blame the coaches/players for things but never like to break it down. Go look at how Al Golden DB's played in Man Coverage under Diaz, versus how Diaz DB's played in Man Coverage under Diaz (and now Steele).
If Marshall can execute this defense and we cannot, I start to wonder whether this whole football program makes sense.

I'm not even kidding, its mindblowing how this can actually go wrong for us.

Advertisement
Back