Coaching Guidry's defensive philosophy

Advertisement
It's funny you say this...

I've always been a front-7 guy but this year will be the first season in 17 years that I'll be coaching primary the back-end as a DC.

In today's game, with all the different passing game variables and coverage schemes, I feel like your DC has to be back there.
I appreciate your knowledge of the game so for you to highlight this means a lot.

Imo — The more offences spread defences out, use motion and different packages to scheme people open and of course pass the ball more often. Pre and Post snap it’s your safeties that have to have the football IQ to read and react.

With this change what I’m most excited to see is Kam Kitchens go to another level this season and James Williams show consistency to go along with his production.

Did Flo predict this?
His podcast did say some news would be dropping next few days. However, seeing how hires need to be made soon to prepare for Spring practice that was a safe prediction.

Advertisement
CIS
“Lazy hires we need innovation . Why hire an aging Dinosaur like Steele and strong. This is the U!! We need a younger dude who is creative. This is how we’ve won in the past. We’re trend setters!!

Again CIS
“Who??!!! We waited this long for this? Some leftover from Marshall with a gimmick defense. 8 million a year for this!!

Mfers in here wouldn’t be happy even with a winning mega millions ticket and a Penthouse in Rio During carnival!

CIS
“Lazy hires we need innovation . Why hire an aging Dinosaur like Steele and strong. This is the U!! We need a younger dude who is creative. This is how we’ve won in the past. We’re trend setters!!

Again CIS
“Who??!!! We waited this long for this? Some leftover from Marshall with a gimmick defense. 8 million a year for this!!

Mfers in here wouldn’t be happy even with a winning mega millions ticket and a Penthouse in Rio During carnival!
Like 3 miserable dudes. For ***** sake you guys who do what you are doing here need to stop attributing this crap to CIS posters as a whole.

And now you brought this negativity into this thread. Take it elsewhere please.

Advertisement
Like 3 miserable dudes. For ***** sake you guys who do what you are doing here need to stop attributing this crap to CIS posters as a whole.

And now you brought this negativity into this thread. Take it elsewhere please.

Exactly. Constant over generalizations and strawman arguments. It’s like it’s cool to blast the board they frequent.

No more holding LT56 back trying to play sound gap football pause! Turn him loose so he can get up the field & be the animal he is Pause
Season 2 Omg GIF by The Office
Why would u not want our DTs playing sound gap football lol, did we forget already what that can lead to?

All i know is this is huge + for guys like LT and JW. We need to hit the portal hard for some more secondary guys after watching a couple games of marshall last season. he puts a lot on the backend so they need to be ready. with that being said what i like so far from watching is how aggressive he is but not to the point of manny where he did it just to do it LG seems to be more methodical with it. plus seeing guys lined up in the right spots has been nice to see there were a couple plays in the ND game they were lined up wrong and they paid for it. That marshall defense pursuit to the ball carrier was insane they always had so many guys flying to the ball. He did have a decent amount of transfer talent on that marshall defense which doesnt surprise me how they looked vs ND. With how aggressive he is the deep shot is there every once in a while but i much prefer having the O have to work for their yards instead of the aggressive bend dont break where you get picked apart. excited to watch some more tape.

The main Guidry thread is growing too fast and covering too much to break down his defensive style and techniques.

Some interesting highlights from this article

Perhaps most jarring to the traditionalist, the Herd play with only two down linemen 69% of the time

and for those wondering about the soundness of his scheme

Praising the scheme does not tell the whole story. Marshall has both fundamentally sound and talented players. The Herd’s rate of broken or missed tackles ranks 2nd in the FBS (5.6%), and when only rushing four or fewer they rank 9th in sack percentage (14.8%).

Thank you for finding this article. After reading it, I get the feeling that “Miami” athletes will fit this well.

Advertisement
I will by no means claim to be an expert in football scheme but question for those that are smarter than me - how is this different than Manny’s defense? Didn’t he usually run with 2 LB’s and 5 DB’s with one of the DB’s in the “striker” position? Not opposed to that style at all - just wondering.

For years people were begging to bring the 4-2-5 here like what Gary Patt ran at tcu. well now we are getting it lol lets see how it goes

Advertisement
It’s an excellent hire.
Maybe that's why I'm getting dragged on the other thread. I saw it as a mediocre hire...but that's name only because I wanted the wow hire.

Is he bringing coaches with him and which position will he coach?

Advertisement
Back