Guess the DB depth chart next year.

cflacane2

Band
Banned
Curious to see who you guys think will be starting at each position next year. I have my top 5 guys but have no idea where they'll actually play. We'll be undersized for sure but these guys have a lot versatility.

Bandy/Young/Dallas/Redwine/Johnson

CB1
CB2
Nickel
FS
SS

Advertisement
Advertisement
FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles
(Possibly Latavious Brini)

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas
Michael Jackson (assuming he's still on the team)

NCB - Trajan Bandy
(Possibly Cedrick Wright)

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier
Ryan Mayes (assuming he's still on the team)

You can shuffle around guys the way you see fit, but there's still a lot of scenarios that are unknown depending on who we sign come February...

Redwine could stay at CB or move to FS...
If we land Brini & Collier, Brini could play either FS or CB...
If we bring back CJ that gives us more flexibility & allows us to move more guys around...
We absolutely need to add a JUCO or Grad Transfer CB...

Last edited:
FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas

NCB - Trajan Bandy

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier

You can shuffle around guys the way you see fit, but there's still a lot of scenarios that are unknown depending on who we sign come February...

If we bring back CJ that gives us more flexibility & allows us to move more guys around...

Agree with most of your list. Do you think James will be ahead of Knowles though? I have a feeling knowles gets a lot of playing time at one of the safety spots next year. Dude has the talent and came in as a guy who needed 2 years to develop. Hopefully Diaz and Banda get the most out of rob.

Nickel. Open competition of Wright Bandy and Dallas
Jaquan will drop down if they are confident in the safeties

Corner. Young opposite the winner of Jackson and Redwine with Mayes and other freshman battling for other time on the outside

FS. Jaquan then Dallas if Jeff James isn't ready. Knowles can play that spot too

Crapshoot at SS I can't remember if Carter is an EE. I think he could be ready if Finley or Knowles don't flash.

FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas

NCB - Trajan Bandy

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier

We absolutely need to add a. JUCO or Grad Transfer CB..

Yep. Depth chart won't look half bad, if, and only if, they add a JUCO or grad transfer that will help us out like Colbert has this year.

Advertisement
FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas

NCB - Trajan Bandy

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier

Agree with most of your list. Do you think James will be ahead of Knowles though? I have a feeling knowles gets a lot of playing time at one of the safety spots next year. Dude has the talent and came in as a guy who needed 2 years to develop. Hopefully Diaz and Banda get the most out of rob.
Idk, I think everything will depend on who we sign on NSD, then who ends up winning out the battles in Spring camp in the months following.

I think Jeff James is a much more natural FS & has good upside to get some PT next year, but the job is all Jaquan's.
I'm not sure Knowles will ever be much more than a Special Teams guy here, but as long as he adds depth that's fine with me.

yeah, i am not sure why i was so worried. looks like there is decent depth if a couple of (Finley, James, and the rooks develop- which i am betting on atleast half those guys living up to what we expect)

FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas

NCB - Trajan Bandy

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier

Idk, I think everything will depend on who we sign on NSD, then who ends up winning out the battles in Spring camp in the months following.

I think Jeff James is a much more natural FS & has good upside to get some PT next year, but the job is all Jaquan's.
I'm not sure Knowles will ever be much more than a Special Teams guy here, but as long as he adds depth that's fine with me.

Agree that James looks like he can contribute at this level. Hope you're wrong about knowles being a special teamer but time will tell. I'm routing big time for him. I think knowles w 2 years experience beats out any incoming safety (Gibson and Carter) for 2017 but EE factor might play a big role.

Advertisement
FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas

NCB - Trajan Bandy

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier

Why wouldn't Jackson still be on the team?

FS - Jaquan Johnson
Jeff James
Robert Knowles

SS - Romeo Finley
Amari Carter
Billy Gibson Jr

LCB - Malek Young
Deejay Dallas

NCB - Trajan Bandy

RCB - Sheldrick Redwine
Antwan Collier

Why wouldn't Jackson still be on the team?
I'm not saying he wouldn't... I just put that there assuming the roster stays the same & no one transfers before spring camp.

Last edited:
We will have an uncomfortably young DB unit next year

Need to bring in at least 1 impact Grad Transfer/Juco player

Advertisement
CB: Redwine, Young, Jackson, Bandy, Dallas, Mayes, Henley

S: Johnson, Knowles, Finley, Wright, Carter, James, Gibson

Advertisement
Back