Off-Topic Grocery shelf’s empty

There are empty spots here in WalMart not because of supply shortages but because they can’t hire enough people to stock the shelves. There’s a regional grocer with about 100 stores that have required their supervisors and managers to stock shelves for the same issue - can’t hire enough people.
They can hire but probably don’t pay enough to make it worth it. Hopefully the CEO and other high level employees have to march down there and stock some shelves too

Advertisement
I'm kind of curious of your experiences. Is this a Florida thing? I'm in MD and I go to Giant, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and have found virtually no issues the past several months. Plenty of everything and if something is low in stock, it will be in stock within days.
Publix has a complete Monopoly in Fl....whether people like to hear it or not. Winn Dixie for manyyyy yrs ran the show, until the late 80s, early 90s. I shop at Publix pretty much exclusively. Some are definitely better than others (but that's true with all stores) the prices have gone through the roof though...and pretty much everywhere else. @paksat isn't lying about Publix though. I have a close friend who was a Publix Store Manager for many yrs in Orlando...and worked for them for 39yrs. He said things started going South with them in 2012, so he retired, rather than put up with the BS.

Publix has a complete Monopoly in Fl....whether people like to hear it or not. Winn Dixie for manyyyy yrs ran the show, until the late 80s, early 90s. I shop at Publix pretty much exclusively. Some are definitely better than others (but that's true with all stores) the prices have gone through the roof though...and pretty much everywhere else. @paksat isn't lying about Publix though. I have a close friend who was a Publix Store Manager for many yrs in Orlando...and worked for them for 39yrs. He said things started going South with them in 2012, so he retired, rather than put up with the BS.
My wife went to Trader Joe’s off South Dixie across from Metro rail station and Shorty’s and it was bad she was surprised.
She simply asked manager up front and he wasn’t to responsive.

I told her these managers get a % of sales and if shelves empty his wallet is empty so to speak come this Friday.

Mangers and department mgr like at Publix can probably $200K plus if it’s like the Publix across from Dadeland which is nationally ranked , but they work like dogs 24-7 pure corporate pressure.

GOCANES

Isn’t it all full weird seeing empty shelves in every store you visit.

Just had to mention it scares me to see this , does this strike anyone as something you wouldn’t see in this country, 21/2 years ago thriving now Venezuela sad stuff.
Remember the baby food shortage? Well, our son is on a prescription for a nutritional drink (because he needs to get his daily vitamins and minerals and is a picky eater). Earlier this year we find out the drink is produced by Abbott (Nutricia).

Luckily, we had enough stocked up to survive about 4 months of the product being out (although we got close to running out). Then it was back in stock for a few months.

Well, now it's been 2 months and they are back to being back ordered on the product and we probably have about 1 month supply left.

This is getting ridiculous

Remember the baby food shortage? Well, our son is on a prescription for a nutritional drink (because he needs to get his daily vitamins and minerals and is a picky eater). Earlier this year we find out the drink is produced by Abbott (Nutricia).

Luckily, we had enough stocked up to survive about 4 months of the product being out (although we got close to running out). Then it was back in stock for a few months.

Well, now it's been 2 months and they are back to being back ordered on the product and we probably have about 1 month supply left.

Oh Man....do I remember the Enfamil days...

Advertisement
They can hire but probably don’t pay enough to make it worth it. Hopefully the CEO and other high level employees have to march down there and stock some shelves too
Pay "enough" relative to what?

Oh Man....do I remember the Enfamil days...
Oh snap, yeah we used to use that too... good times running to the store for those round containers, right?!?

I can't believe this baby formula thing is still going though... figured when some came back in stock they were back to full production. But maybe it bottlenecked or they only released chunks at a time to different distributors? Gotta be something like that, but when it starts getting close is when the panic sets in, ya know?

Wasn’t that also all on the fda? There were some reports of 2 or 3 kids but it wasn’t related to the formula. The fda kept them shut down and didn’t respond.

he would know it started right around when they took the benefits away from part time employees. I thought it was lol worthy when they started making it a big deal that, "oh look you became a full time employee how lucky are you!"

Advertisement
My wife went to Trader Joe’s off South Dixie across from Metro rail station and Shorty’s and it was bad she was surprised.

I told her these managers get a % of sales and if shelves empty his wallet is empty so to speak come this Friday.

Mangers and department mgr like at Publix can probably $200K plus if it’s like the Publix across from Dadeland which is nationally ranked , but they work like dogs 24-7 pure corporate pressure.

GOCANES
I know a produce manager that worked a 24 hour straight shift

I could care a less about money in that type of situation, corporate has lost their **** minds

he would know it started right around when they took the benefits away from part time employees. I thought it was lol worthy when they started making it a big deal that, "oh look you became a full time employee how lucky are you!"
That ****ed him off....and the problems he had in the Deli..(which as you probably know) is one of the main problems in alot of Publix's) everytime he'd get a quality Deli Manager, in a matter of a few months they'd transfer him. The 2 Publix's I frequented the most were both in Downtown Orlando. One on E. Colonial & Shine, the other at the bottom of the Paramount Condominium near Lake Eola. @TheOriginalCane is familiar with both....and till this very day, both have constant problems in their Deli's. I used to go out of my way to the Publix at Orange & Michigan, and the one in Baldwin Park, because their Deli's were superior to the ones close to my home.

Advertisement

GOCANES
Virtually any job that commands that sort of compensation will have you working non-stop.

Advertisement
That ****ed him off....and the problems he had in the Deli..(which as you probably know) is one of the main problems in alot of Publix's) everytime he'd get a quality Deli Manager, in a matter of a few months they'd transfer him. The 2 Publix's I frequented the most were both in Downtown Orlando. One on E. Colonial & Shine, the other at the bottom of the Paramount Condominium near Lake Eola. @TheOriginalCane is familiar with both....and till this very day, both have constant problems in their Deli's. I used to go out of my way to the Publix at Orange & Michigan, and the one in Baldwin Park, because their Deli's were superior to the ones close to my home.
The one in Baldwin Park is the tetas. Like the one on Orange & Michigan as well.

If they truly need more people, they'll pay.
Safe to say we can agree it’s these millionaire and billionaire owners that’s the real enemy of the working class. There is no reason elders have to stock shelves and worry about how their bills will get paid While the CEO “runs the company” from their yacht making 300x as much as the old lady stocking shelves for 8 hours a day

Not saying you but a lot people feel they are above working class people and see no problem with this but it should be different imo

One thing Publix has going there spotless clean.

Back in my high school days I worked for them BAGBOY part time .

We would pull the cash registers out and razor blade scrape underneath clean and of wax build up same with food shelves hands and knees scraping after hours.

Every night we bleach moped and every so often wax the whole store’s floor.

Produce and freezer pressure cleaned amazing .

Stock clerks would actually sanitize the shelves.

Publix does not play in cleanliness .

I was head of parking lot cleanliness and cart pick up and yes wash them along with bleaching the store entrance.

They did bust plums you actually worked none stop.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back