Greatest UM Bowl Games

• Thread starter Deleted member 25719
  • Start date
I wonder if it was Schnellenberger or Saban who recruited Dennison from Beaver Falls. Counting back, it was probably Schnellenberger.

Irony is, that I believe it was Schnellenberger who recruited Namath for Alabama years before.

Advertisement
Both not that far from Youngstown.

We never recruit those areas anymore.

They used to be our bread-and-butter decades ago.

There is so much more speed down south, especially in Florida.
That is a different area since the steel industry went away. NE Ohio/ Western PA was a gold mine for talent and just tough kids, work ethic and talent was heavily recruited. In a 50 Mike radius you had Bernie, Kelly, Marino, Montana, Namath, Cavanaugh and add Dorsett and that’s just starters. The area still has decent programs but the population is less than half of the steel years.

I’m going with RB 2001. It felt like all the gloom from the previous 5-6 years was gone! I remember talking to my boys and we were like, we could win 3 in a row and start another dynasty! Rohan Davy( spelling), who was the QB for LSU was with us and he was like, Miami got some bad mofos 3 deep! ****! Boy, has time changed!

I wonder if it was Schnellenberger or Saban who recruited Dennison from Beaver Falls. Counting back, it was probably Schnellenberger.

Irony is, that I believe it was Schnellenberger who recruited Namath for Alabama years before.
Schnelly got Dennison over a Pitt and a few others. Howard also got Bernie by default after Kosar’s dream school Ohio State didn’t offer. Earl Bruce didn’t think the skinny kid with a so so arm and bad mechanics could be a major college QB. Earle was comfortable with Mike Tomczak and the rest is history.

Advertisement
Since it’s the eve of a bowl game, let’s review memorable UM Bowl games. My #1:
January 2, 1984 my boy Bernie and the Canes give college football a wake up call and upset Nebraska in the OB, winning the first NC in UM history. Great game and just the start of 10 of the best years in college football history.
Hands down the GOAT CANes game and the best sporting event i’ve ever attended. Magical night.

Advertisement
That is a different area since the steel industry went away. NE Ohio/ Western PA was a gold mine for talent and just tough kids, work ethic and talent was heavily recruited. In a 50 Mike radius you had Bernie, Kelly, Marino, Montana, Namath, Cavanaugh and add Dorsett and that’s just starters. The area still has decent programs but the population is less than half of the steel years.
I’m well aware of the history of talent from western PA, Ohio, northern W.Va, northern Indiana and western NYS. I’ve written about it on this board multiple times, especially the many outstanding contributions to UM football from those areas going all the way back to the 1950’s. It didn’t start with Kelly, Kosar, Dennison, etc. I also forgot to mention western upstate Maryland, where we used to recruit from the powerhouse area of Cumberland—now a sleepy small town. Some of the Univ. of Maryland powerhouses of the mid-50’s (incl. one NC as I recall) were built on Cumberland kids.

It’s not the collapse of the steel mills that have changed the talent levels. We used to recruit tough working-class white kids from those areas. Football has changed. It’s overwhelmingly a game based on speed, not just power. You cannot get that in abundance in western Pennsylvania. It means the talent has shifted to the south, especially Florida. It’s overwhelmingly a sport dominated by African-Americans, not PoItalians, Irish, etc. kids who predominated in the working class towns of western Pennsylvania. Those were the kids whose families worked in the steel mills or coal mines.

When I was a kid growing up in Florida in the early ‘60’s, I would know the names of so many small western Pennsylvania towns because I knew the entire UM roster top to bottom. We would have 20-30 western Pennsylvania boys on a typical roster.

And every year UM fans would lament that we always lacked fast breakaway backs (as that term was widely used back then). In the mid 60’s we got Vince Opalsky from Pennsylvania (as I recall). He never had the kind of career we hoped he would. I think he was hurt a lot. He was big and fast.

Agree. Electric night in the OB. If Cal doesn’t get a finger on that ball who knows,,,,,,
Bernie said that with the time left on the clock (around 50 some seconds)he felt like he could’ve moved the team down for a score. That being said, I think that was a perfect ending for Miami. Always respected Osbourne for going for 2. His own fan base gave him stick for not kicking the EP , tying the game, figuring they’d get voted the title with a tie, still being undefeated. That took some balls. Anyway... we won.

I’m well aware of the history of talent from western PA, Ohio, northern W.Va, northern Indiana and western NYS. I’ve written about it on this board multiple times, especially the many outstanding contributions to UM football from those areas going all the way back to the 1950’s. It didn’t start with Kelly, Kosar, Dennison, etc. I also forgot to mention western upstate Maryland, where we used to recruit from the powerhouse area of Cumberland—now a sleepy small town. Some of the Univ. of Maryland powerhouses of the mid-50’s (incl. one NC as I recall) were built on Cumberland kids.

It’s not the collapse of the steel mills that have changed the talent levels. We used to recruit tough working-class white kids from those areas. Football has changed. It’s overwhelmingly a game based on speed, not just power. You cannot get that in abundance in western Pennsylvania. It means the talent has shifted to the south, especially Florida. It’s overwhelmingly a sport dominated by African-Americans, not PoItalians, Irish, etc. kids who predominated in the working class towns of western Pennsylvania. Those were the kids whose families worked in the steel mills or coal mines.

When I was a kid growing up in Florida in the early ‘60’s, I would know the names of so many small western Pennsylvania towns because I knew the entire UM roster top to bottom. We would have 20-30 western Pennsylvania boys on a typical roster.

And every year UM fans would lament that we always lacked fast breakaway backs (as that term was widely used back then). In the mid 60’s we got Vince Opalsky from Pennsylvania (as I recall). He never had the kind of career we hoped he would. I think he was hurt a lot. He was big and fast.
Very true and UM was a large part of the revolution. The Canes are responsible for many of the major changes that took place in the 80s. BTW My favorite Cane name of all time was J.C. Penny a Youngstown kid in the 80s

Bernie said that with the time left on the clock (around 50 some seconds)he felt like he could’ve moved the team down for a score. That being said, I think that was a perfect ending for Miami. Always respected Osbourne for going for 2. His own fan base gave him stick for not kicking the EP , tying the game, figuring they’d get voted the title with a tie, still being undefeated. That took some balls. Anyway... we won.
Memory is not what it used to be but didn’t we miss a fg that would have put it on 10 before the Huskers last drive? And yes, Bernie did say that, Very competitive kid and was a really good baseball and basketball player.

Advertisement
If you were looking for F' the world kinda game, it has to be the Cotton bowl with the penalties and Hill's gun slinging in the tunnel to rub it in...

Advertisement
The lengths OP will go to to make himself look legitimate are hysterical.
Son you have absolutely no idea, zero. You are being played like a fiddle and keep coming back for more. You are way too easy and are out kicking your coverage. I guarantee you never heard of Dennison, dude and Bernie threw in the summers at Boardman High School when home on break. You are on the CIS all stars and with the outlaws, I’m with The Posse, and you never heard of them either. Picture was taken at some dudes ranch outside Homestead and be very careful cause there’s plenty more to follow! You’ll have to call all your pals to mess with The Posse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back