Greatest player you've seen in each sport?

Advertisement
Basketball: Bird (just because he killed everyone. And I mean everyone with no athletic ability). His game in 92 against the stud Trailblazers with a 42 point triple double while being old, no back, knees, anything, was one of the most incredible performances in basketball history. Guy was a cadaver at that point.
Soccer: Zidane
CFB: Randy Moss/Jerome Brown
NFL: Brady
Hockey: Lemieux
baseball: juiced up Barry

interesting options on the tennis. I would go more modern with Seffi Graf (WTENN) and Rafa or Djokovic (MTENN). Im guessing you put Laver because of the two slams and Navratilova bc she dominated singles and doubles.
Steffi; great one, almost forgot about her. I watched Laver play Natase in Miami in my youth and he gave his shoes to a buddy of mine who was a ball boy. He’s been my favorite ever since.

Steffi; great one, almost forgot about her. I watched Laver play Natase in Miami in my youth and he gave his shoes to a buddy of mine who was a ball boy. He’s been my favorite ever since.

Thats awesome, already miss that old venue.

Advertisement
A healthy Mario Lemieux is the most dominant/unstoppable offensive force in NHL history.
I did not have the guts to say that but you are probably right .....I saw Lemieux about 10 x.....in his prime ......I saw The Great one in the end when he was with the Rangers......I have always .maintained that Lemieux might be the most skilled player I have ever seen in any sport especially for his size he was simply a man amongst boys even in the NHL......teams would literally tackle him to stop him and he still dominated....

Maybe that's the key as crazy it seems

Some of the highest strung "get sh*t done" people I've ever met are functioning alcoholics

I just met a 70 year old army corp of engineers that fits this to the bill. Guy is in GREAT shape and drinks like a fish

My dad used to go through a 60-80 beers a week and he's 73 and can jog just fine. He still drinks like a machine, physically the doctors say he's in **** near perfect health

I remember seeing on the news about some 100+ year old who was still getting along decently fine saying the key was a 5th of whiskey a day.

There was another guy on the news who was approaching 80 and in similar situations as above, the news interviewed this guy and asked him what his secret was expecting some herbs or some stuff you'd expect a doctor to say... his answer? "oh wow... yah I did a lot of drinking, a LOT of drinking, a lot of smoking, did a LOT of partying..."

I agree that testosterone was different back then tho

Great point and I know a lot of dudes that drink all the time that are in great shape in their 60s and 70s. I always wonder though when you hear about the 100+ year olds. If they are 100% telling the truth or just BSing to make their feat seem more impressive.

NBA Jordan - hated him but respect
NHL Martin Brodeur
CBB Zion or Jay Williams
MLB Mariano Rivera
CFB Sean Taylor
NFL Ray Lewis/Revis/Barry Sanders

Advertisement
Sugar Ray
RAy Lewis
Secretariat
Larry Bird
Ted Williams (also considered best fly fisherman of all time by many)

NBA Jordan - hated him but respect
NHL Martin Brodeur
CBB Zion or Jay Williams
MLB Mariano Rivera
CFB Sean Taylor
NFL Ray Lewis/Revis/Barry Sanders
Martin Brodeur very interesting pick.....I like that choice I saw him play about 10 times as well......is it possible he was underrated......

Live?

Football. Troy Aikman-Emmitt Smith-Michael Irving (hard to choose)
Baseball. Chipper Jones (Mariano Rivera 2d place)
Basketball. LOL basketball

Zion or Jay Williams? You're seriously a Duke fan huh

I'm gonna give him some credit on jay williams

I watched him play FSU in his final season and it was like watching a masterful painting

I don't know if it's on youtube but if it is it's worth searching. Duke loses the game but even the commentators flat out said, "Is he human?"

Advertisement
I'm gonna give him some credit on jay williams

I watched him play FSU in his final season and it was like watching a masterful painting

I don't know if it's on youtube but if it is it's worth searching. Duke loses the game but even the commentators flat out said, "Is he human?"
Look I know all about Jay Williams. My best childhood friend is a huge dookie, so much he named his boston terrier Duhon after Chris Duhon. Williams was good but he wasn't the greatest ball player in college ever. Carmelo was ten times the player Williams was, **** JJ Redick was probably better

The best HS football player I’ve seen in person is Troy Davis out of Southridge. College football player: Sean Taylor and Peter Warrick. The best HS and College basketball player is Vince Carter. NBA is Lebron James.

Advertisement
Pro Wrestling? The Undertaker. Best gimmick ever. And arguably the best, most athletic big man (6’8+ish) in ‘sports entertainment’.

If not, then Bruno Sammartino.

Not to reiterate....But my Grandfather saw them all play...
Ruth
Gehrig
Dimaggio
Lazzeri
Jimmy Fox...etc...He told me before he passed in 1976 that Mantle was the best of them...which kinda surprised me. I thought he'd say Ruth...but he was adamant about Mantle...My Grandmother loved Gehrig...
If Mantle didn't tear his knee up during his rookie campaign, there would be absolutely No argument...Accomplish what he did, Long before Modern Day Surgeries is absolute Craziness...
****....your spelling....

It was JIMMIE FOXX, not Jimmy Fox.

And you do know he was a Hurricane, don't you?

I know there are certain required usage customs on this board. For example, you should never use "banned" when someone is band. You should never use they're when you can use "their."

But please don't mess up names like Jimmie Foxx. And he was a former Cane.

On the left, obviously.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back