Greatest Miami Receiver

How good would Irvin be in the offenses today? It would be ridiculous. Jimmy Johnson had that guy in a 3 point stance for goodness sakes. All time favorite.

Reggie Wayne is the most underrated. Was not as fast as Moss and over shadowed by all the other stars but was just so productive. His greatest catch might have been a diving over the head catch vs Washington in the back of the Endzone but it has never been played on highlights because we lost that game. Even Wayne in the NFL has gotten overlooked having a hall of fame career. And people wonder why WR's dance in the endzone.

Most over rated is Andre Johnson. Won a title here but was not productive when needed in my opinion. Should have dominated Ohio St and instead had drops, one for and INT. Guys Physical gifts got him attention in the NFL but never had a 10 TD season. Production just never met the hype.

Not to sidetrack this thread but Irvin was so good that he even made a mediocre NFL receiver in Alvin Harper get paid just by being in his presence. I know some Bucs fans that are still ****ed that they thought he was good in his own right and overpaid him as a free agent.

Advertisement
So when you stop looking at the Greek god Dre Johnson was and look at his productivity and look at his numbers with Dorsey throwing to him and teams having to play strait man on him you think greatest of all time?

I think it is between Reggie Wayne and Irvin. Reggie had good numbers, he probably has the best hands and routes ever for us. Irvin also has those good attributes but what sets him apart is all the persona that comes with it. If you look at his production, he played with a good QB, and in the pros, he had 4 HOF OL, HOF QB, RB, TE. I mean you should be pretty good. But he is a stud you cannot deny that.

Pure WR:
Irvin
Wayne

Talent:
Andre (monster)
Brown
Moss
Hill

Advertisement
So when you stop looking at the Greek god Dre Johnson was and look at his productivity and look at his numbers with Dorsey throwing to him and teams having to play strait man on him you think greatest of all time?

Andre Johnson was quite productive here. Eddie Brown is the only other Hurricane to tally 1,000 yards in a season prior to the expanded schedules. Johnson had 1092 yards on 52 catches with 9 TDs in 11 regular season games in 2002. Bowl game stats didn't count at the time.

As a sophomore, he caught 37 for 685 yard and 10 touchdowns. Not counting the 7 catch, 199 yard performance in the Fiesta Bowl.

Maybe the numbers aren't mind boggling but considering two factors: The 2001 and 2002 teams were so good, he often didn't play in the fourth or even third quarter of games. The Miami offense was incredibly balanced. They averaged over 200 ypg rushing and didn't have to air it out nearly as much as teams with a more pass-heavy offense.

From 1980s till now....

These are the 5 that I feel you can debate as to who is the best all-time

Michael "Playmaker" Irvin
Andre Johnson
Santana Moss
"Downtown" Eddie Brown
Reggie Wayne

Then after that you got guys like....

Leonard Hankerson, Lamar "Lamartacus" Thomas, Phillip Dorsett, Brian Blades, Allen Hurns, Wesley Carroll, Horace "Hi-C" Copeland, Randal "Thrill" Hill, Kevin Williams, Dale Dawkins, Travis "TB3" Benjamin, Brett Perriman, Roscoe Parrish, Andre Brown, Rocky Belk, Yatil Green etc.

Who were all either great or good in their own right too.
Proof The U is WRU

Advertisement
Its amazing Andre Johnson had the career he had in the NFL when he had no legit quarterback year after year. Dudes a freak of nature

How good would Irvin be in the offenses today? It would be ridiculous. Jimmy Johnson had that guy in a 3 point stance for goodness sakes. All time favorite.

Reggie Wayne is the most underrated. Was not as fast as Moss and over shadowed by all the other stars but was just so productive. His greatest catch might have been a diving over the head catch vs Washington in the back of the Endzone but it has never been played on highlights because we lost that game. Even Wayne in the NFL has gotten overlooked having a hall of fame career. And people wonder why WR's dance in the endzone.

Most over rated is Andre Johnson. Won a title here but was not productive when needed in my opinion. Should have dominated Ohio St and instead had drops, one for and INT. Guys Physical gifts got him attention in the NFL but never had a 10 TD season. Production just never met the hype.

Agreed with you til i read your paragraph on Andre...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back