Greatest Canes - NFL only careers

Advertisement
Only if you never heard of Ted Hendricks. It was said that he had over 100 QBs sacks while at UM, but they didn’t keep stats for sacks back then. He was the most dominant defender to ever play here, then has a HOF NFL career. There’s a reason an award is named after him.
He's part of the shiit load... one of the best ever in the NFL and at the U. A monster linebacker... would see him in the OB against the Dolphins... a wall and a nightmare for the Fins offense. Would chit-chat with him at Miami Springs bars in the 90's.

Advertisement
Lewis and Reed, because they are the two who can be argued as greatest ever at their positions.

Lewis would have to be first. He looked as dominant and scary in a more pass oriented era as Butkus in a run oriented era.

Reed is probably never going to win the all-time argument against Ronnie Lott. But very close. Reed more of a playmaker while Lott the enforcer who also had takeaway ability. Heck, he played cornerback as a rookie.

I actually think Kenny Easley belongs in the same conversation as Lott and Reed. But he won't be viewed that way due to the shortened career due to serious kidney issues.

Fortunately the Hall of Fame voters were wise enough to finally include Easley last year. He is almost certainly the greatest college safety of all time. I was a USC student parallel to the careers of Easley at UCLA and Lott at USC. During those years there was no question that Easley was the superior player. It was consensus even at USC. Lott made big strides as a senior but still nobody was asserting him as Easley's equal. Easley was so legendary in college that Stu Nahan of Fast Times at Ridgemont High fame had a weekly segment on his Sunday night sports show, spotlighting what Easley had done a day earlier. Try finding another college safety who had anything like that.

Prior to the 1981 draft I did an interview with Lott at Heritage Hall. He expected to be drafted by the St Louis Cardinals. That might have changed NFL history just a wee bit. They went with Alabama linebacker E.J. Junior instead. When I asked Lott if he thought he was Easley's equal, he didn't say a word. He looked at me as if I were nuts. I'll never forget that facial expression.

Easley was taken 4th by Seattle while Lott went 8th to the 49ers

It's amazing how these lists are generationally biased. Still trying to get my head around anyone who leaves Jim Kelly off these lists.

Advertisement
He's not one of the greatest, but in terms of guys who had really good NFL careers Dennis Harrah is on the list

Lewis and Reed, because they are the two who can be argued as greatest ever at their positions.

Lewis would have to be first. He looked as dominant and scary in a more pass oriented era as Butkus in a run oriented era.

Reed is probably never going to win the all-time argument against Ronnie Lott. But very close. Reed more of a playmaker while Lott the enforcer who also had takeaway ability. Heck, he played cornerback as a rookie.

I actually think Kenny Easley belongs in the same conversation as Lott and Reed. But he won't be viewed that way due to the shortened career due to serious kidney issues.

Fortunately the Hall of Fame voters were wise enough to finally include Easley last year. He is almost certainly the greatest college safety of all time. I was a USC student parallel to the careers of Easley at UCLA and Lott at USC. During those years there was no question that Easley was the superior player. It was consensus even at USC. Lott made big strides as a senior but still nobody was asserting him as Easley's equal. Easley was so legendary in college that Stu Nahan of Fast Times at Ridgemont High fame had a weekly segment on his Sunday night sports show, spotlighting what Easley had done a day earlier. Try finding another college safety who had anything like that.

Prior to the 1981 draft I did an interview with Lott at Heritage Hall. He expected to be drafted by the St Louis Cardinals. That might have changed NFL history just a wee bit. They went with Alabama linebacker E.J. Junior instead. When I asked Lott if he thought he was Easley's equal, he didn't say a word. He looked at me as if I were nuts. I'll never forget that facial expression.

IMO Sean Taylor was the best college safety I ever saw, and the most dominant athlete I ever saw play on defense, bar none. RIP.

QB- Kelly
RB- Gore, Edge
WR- Andre, Irvin, Wayne, Moss
TE- Graham
OL- Mckinnie, Carey, Searcy, Meyers, Romberg, ...
DT- Sapp, Wilfork
DE- Kennedy, Campbell
LB- Lewis, Morgan, Vilma
CB- Shields, Buchanan
S- ST, Reed
P- Feagles
KR- Moss, Hester
PR- Hester
PK- ?
Coach- Jimmy Johnson
I would win the SUPER BOWL every year
✋🏼🤚🏼 Already know

Advertisement

Easley was incredible. A great player comparable to other great players. No one was better.

Advertisement
Back