Great win but...

A win is a win no matter how you look at it. A blow out and a last second win both show up as a W in the win column.

Advertisement
Nothing is going to stop me from enjoying this win....regardless of how it happened.

I'm not gonna be crying about how UVA could and should done better and how incredibly lucky we were.

I've been on the other side of other teams winning against us that didn't deserve it and I seriously doubt that their fans were complaining about how they won....they just called us losers.

SO UVA you're losers ....and I hope that I will be able to say that often and continually to other teams the rest of this season and ALL that follow.

Here’s the deal: we had unrealistic expectations coming into this season. We told ourselves the 2 star freshman starting at the most important position on the OL wasn’t a problem. We ignored the fact that 98 times out of 100 first time coaching staffs don’t have good years. We ignored Inexperienced coaches with inexperienced quarterbacks and an inexperienced line. We ignored both of our NFL safeties leaving and our best two defensive lineman from last year

Those are meaningless specifics. Focus on specifics will only serve to lead astray. Next year there will be another batch of specifics to lead astray, if allowed.

Just evaluate the overall level of our program. Once that is accomplished, all the close games make perfect sense and the won/loss record will settle into logical territory.

The offseason around here is devoted to specifics. That's why it fails

We finally didn’t beat ourselves and some people still wanna act like the game was given to us. The fact is it wasn’t. They didn’t make plays and we did enough to win. That’s how football works.

If we ever become a true disciplined team, some of y’all aren’t gonna know what to do with yourselves. We could go 12-0 and there would still be these threads bc nobody is used to it.

Advertisement
It's quite simple.
1. Play Calling.
2. Poor offensive line play.
3. UVA has a very good defense. They created over 10 TLS's and got pressure on the QB all night.

I have play calling as #1. Just like we saw in the VT game, Enos goes thru these periods where the play calling gets stagnant. He had several series where he called long developing pass plays with no run plays. When he finally went back to a balanced attack with short quick throws and runs, we moved the ball. This is the formula we should be running. Balanced attack with run plays up the middle. We cannot run the ball outside as Enos tried several times unsuccessfully. We need to go to the short quick passing game and sprinkle in the deep and intermediate throws to stretch the defense. Again, at times Enos came out throwing deep on 1st and 2nd down which resulted in an incompletion or sack which put us in 3rd and long.

Virginia beat themselves with a lot of help from our defense and especially Greg. We cannot take anyone lightly and if we played Virginia again I'd bet on them. We were incredible defensively when they got into the red zone but we cannot depend on allowing teams there and expect the failures Va made but still credit to our defense. Our offense is a mystery too, how can we start the game by marching down the field as if we own the other team and then suck most of the game but then march down in the 4th quarter as if the light switch went on and we suddenly have an offense. We should without any doubt dominate GT regardless of who is QB, that is if we take charge early and consistently. Consistency has been our way we beat ourselves both Offensively and defensively. If we have a game where both sides of the ball show up, we could be awesome.

Interesting. I guess we can say the same thing about the UF and NC games.

We Beat ourselves. Ha has a nice ring to it.

GTFOH

Advertisement
Back