Great Single Season Performance Nominations

Advertisement
Do you want a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini? Basically the same question. :)
For Gore, or anyone else for that matter, to have a better "Season" than McGahee's 2002 season, would be almost impossible to fathom....that would mean 29+ TDs....over 6.2yds a carry...and 2,000yds....I'm not buying it.

For Gore, or anyone else for that matter, to have a better "Season" than McGahee's 2002 season, would be almost impossible to fathom....that would mean 29+ TDs....over 6.2yds a carry...and 2,000yds....I'm not buying it.
True. Hard to imagine a better season.

Would have loved to have had both! :)

Advertisement
I remember talking to Phillip Buchanon 2 weeks after the NC game about what a Great yr Portis had, and that I couldn't wait for Gore to take over the reigns, and he said, Mannnn....McGahee is going to be the Man.....I'll never forget that.
I can’t argue that any running back will score 28 TD’s in an 11 game season no matter how great. I would not put that on Barry or Payton or Peterson.
But, we have to agree that Gore was going to be the starter in 2002 if he doesn’t get hurt in the Spring. So by that admittedly flawed measurement alone, Gore was expected to have the more productive season. What would more productive even look like? 2000 yard season?

On a side note, I don’t think Gore would have ever scored 28 TD’s. Why? McGahee was as good as any back in the last 30 years and converting in short yardage. He had a knack for getting low and was powerful. More powerful than Gore in that circumstance. But Gore might have run for more yards on that same team. A healthy Gore was as good a natural runner as I have ever seen; speed, vision, balance, lower body strength.

One overlooked thing is that a young Gore wasn’t as good at protecting the ball as McGahee was. Remember the late game fumble at BC in ‘01? That’s how BC was able to have that late opportunity to steal a win (right up until Rumph-Walters-Reed happened).

Advertisement
Tremain Mack's season (forget the year) was incredible. Seemed like he blocked a kick every week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back