Great record or great team for 2021 ?

Miami[]_[]Smoke

Recruit
IF we go 10-2 this year and lose to both Bama and UNC, the only two teams that are on our talent level or above, but we beat all the other unranked teams on our schedule, how will people honestly feel about the season? To me, it would be an accomplishment to get 10 wins and it would look good for recruits, but it would be very unsatisfying to have our best win be NC State or another 7ish win team (could be more if a team surprises but I dont see a 9+ win team on our schedule outside of the aforementioned two). Especially since this is our best and most experienced team on paper in 15+ years. Would this result be better or worse than 2017? To me it would be a very small step forward from last year, but still not reaching our potential. This schedule sets up for 11 wins for a great team and our future schedules dont facilitate great records IMO.

Advertisement
When we start to beat the teams we AREN’T favored against it would be the step to elite status. This past year we got out of the funk of losing a game or two to teams that shouldn’t sniff the field with us. Now the next logically step is to beat the guys we are considered equal or lesser to.

Need to beat teams that are equal to us. If we are a good team we go 1 loss to satan.

It’s hard to win football games in 2021. These other programs train just as hard as you, have just as good of facilites, coaches are insanely highly paid, etc. Very, very, very few programs just sleepwalk to 10 wins. Losing to both those teams would leave a small sour taste in my mouth but 10-2 is a very good year.

This program lost to FIU 21 months ago. 10-2 is a heck of a year.

Advertisement
It matters to me how we lose and how we win against each team. Losing to UNC or Bama could be battles or it could be no contest. Also we could play a bunch of close games against average teams like we did in 2017. These things matter to me. If we have improved in the trenches we should be able to run the ball v teams that are just not as good as us. If we haven't it will be battles and then i would be of the mind that we are still in the same boat. Now i don't expect us to smash every mediocre team but we should easily handle most of them as we are not only more talented, we are now more experienced than every team in the ACC.

It is absolutely crucial for this team to have the best record possible in order to show recruits that we are legitimately on our way and for us to keep signing the best possible talent. For this particular reason I didn't care for the idea of opening with Alabama. Lets say we lose to Bama. That gives us 11 more games and we would have to win out to go 11-1 and for many to be satisfied with our season. That doesn't give us much margin for error and as experienced as this team is there is still so much parity in college football that winning out the regular season after dropping the opener would be very difficult. Even going 10-1 for the next 11 would be tough to do.

For that reason if this team goes 10-2 in the regular season with losses to Alabama and North Carolina then I cant be that upset as much as it would hurt me to see us lose to Mack Brown again. Now in the above scenario where we go 10-2 with losses to Bama and UNC, you never know, we may still win the Coastal. However if we do not make the ACCCG then at 10-2 in that situation it will become imperative for us to win our bowl game which most likely will be a NY6 Bowl. Win that Bowl game and finish at 11-2 and I will gladly take that. It will also be enough to show elite recruits that we are a program on the rise.

Winning is hard man.

In 2019 nine Top 25 teams lost at least three games.

In 2018 that number was thirteen, more than half of the supposed best.

Last edited:
Advertisement
For me it's the same standard every season.

#1 - Defend the home turf.

#2 - Don't get blown out.

#3 - Blow out the teams you should blow out.

As long as we do those three things I'm good.

I couldn't care less if we beat VT, Pitt, UNC and UVA by one fücking point each. Just don't ******* lose to them. We have 30 losses to those four teams alone since joining the ACC. When it comes to those teams, a win is a win. Period.

I would prefer to lose to Pitt on the road as opposed to UNC if 10-2 is going to be the outcome. We need to kick their a**! Keeping it respectable against Bama, 10-15 points, and beating the brakes off of UNC should give us a NY6 bowl.

This program has one 10 win season in the last 15 years. I’d say any scenario where this team has 10 regular season wins is a positive. They made a nice step last year by beating everyone they were supposed to beat. I’d like to see them make the step to where they beat teams that may be favored against them like UNC, so that game does have meaning. But it’s not a be all end all game in the big scope. The most important thing, if we want to get this program back to contender status is that we continue to string together legit seasons. Whether that’s 10 wins or coastal champions or whatever, we need to show recruits that the days of Miami going 7-6 and finishing third in the division are over. We need to erase the mindset that Miami is a fraud and that even when we have a good season, we follow it up with a dud. This team needs to be a consistent 10 win squad if we’re going to stack the talent needed to break into that playoff group.

It matters to me how we lose and how we win against each team. Losing to UNC or Bama could be battles or it could be no contest. Also we could play a bunch of close games against average teams like we did in 2017. These things matter to me. If we have improved in the trenches we should be able to run the ball v teams that are just not as good as us. If we haven't it will be battles and then i would be of the mind that we are still in the same boat. Now i don't expect us to smash every mediocre team but we should easily handle most of them as we are not only more talented, we are now more experienced than every team in the ACC.

As an old OSU fan who used to post here used to say.....and as almost any woman will tell you.

How well you do....ALL depends on how well you do in the trenches

Advertisement
For the regular season, two simple requests:
Win on 10/16.
Win the Coastal.

THAT... is prahhhhhgress.

10-2 regular season really is the only acceptable minimum win total.

If we log in 10 wins or more, we are on the right road, recruiting will stay at its current high level or go even higher, etc., etc. But, if Manny only wins 9 (or less), oh boy... that will be a tough climb for him after this season. Blake won't care, not sure Blake even knows what the shape a football is, but everyone else will place what could be a permanent cloud over the rest of Manny's time as HC.

What do I think will happen?

We will get to 10 wins. Will we go above that....? Lots of questions to be answered. At this point, I don't know if we're good enough to have a Cinderella season and get into the playoff, but 10 wins and an ACCCHGM...? Yeah, we should and NEED to do that or Manny's seat, at least the national perception of it, will really heat up.

The flip is, if he wins 10, plays in the ACCCHGM, doesn't get blown out and wins his bowl game...? He will be in a great place to permanently put us in the top 10. He's definitely at a crossroads.

10-2 regular season really is the only acceptable minimum win total.

If we log in 10 wins or more, we are on the right road, recruiting will stay at its current high level or go even higher, etc., etc. But, if Manny only wins 9 (or less), oh boy... that will be a tough climb for him after this season. Blake won't care, not sure Blake even knows what the shape a football is, but everyone else will place what could be a permanent cloud over the rest of Manny's time as HC.

What do I think will happen?

We will get to 10 wins. Will we go above that....? Lots of questions to be answered. At this point, I don't know if we're good enough to have a Cinderella season and get into the playoff, but 10 wins and an ACCCHGM...? Yeah, we should and NEED to do that or Manny's seat, at least the national perception of it, will really heat up.

The flip is, if he wins 10, plays in the ACCCHGM, doesn't get blown out and wins his bowl game...? He will be in a great place to permanently put us in the top 10. He's definitely at a crossroads.
100% spot on

Advertisement
IF we go 10-2 this year and lose to both Bama and UNC, the only two teams that are on our talent level or above, but we beat all the other unranked teams on our schedule, how will people honestly feel about the season? To me, it would be an accomplishment to get 10 wins and it would look good for recruits, but it would be very unsatisfying to have our best win be NC State or another 7ish win team (could be more if a team surprises but I dont see a 9+ win team on our schedule outside of the aforementioned two). Especially since this is our best and most experienced team on paper in 15+ years. Would this result be better or worse than 2017? To me it would be a very small step forward from last year, but still not reaching our potential. This schedule sets up for 11 wins for a great team and our future schedules dont facilitate great records IMO.

1629385157806.png

10-2 is a success in my book. Seems to me that while winning is definitely the most important, how you lose carries more weight to fans and recruits. IF we lose to Bama and UNC the best we can hope is that it's a close affair and the ball doesn't bounce our way. Blowout losses let the air out of the balloon and makes selling the program to anyone a tall task.

Aside from that, we need to soundly beat teams we should beat in order to establish our 'floor' as a program.

Advertisement
Back