Great fans at the game

Advertisement
I heard the noise on TV. Especially when it started raining and Waters caught what has to be the single gutsiest call in Golden's tenure. Still, attendance has to improve and support for this team has to get better if we want to compete at the "big boy" level.

It was not a gutsy call. It was a no-brainier, bc kicking a FG in those conditions was futile, especially with our kicking woes throughout the game.

The only alternative was a pooch punt, but we were way too close in to try that.

No way that stadium was half full . It appeared loud through the tv though to the point I was certain they were pumping crowd noise for the telecast

I was there and really disliked the booing at the half. Give the boys some support, they are playing hard. No need to boo the players for coaching errors. I put the crowd at 40,000 at its peak before the rain fell.

Last edited:
Advertisement
View attachment 26015
This was posted from the corner last night but it's certainly not what the tv showed.
Yeeaaaa that looks way more than what it looked like on TV....it looked bad on TV

when they did the blimp shot it was 10 minutes before kick off and right after the second half….alot of fans our in the corridoors at those moments cause Miami doesn't have long lines for concessions so people use them a lot…..if the second QTR I think it was at its peak probably around 35-38k

Oh btw, don't know if anyone said it. The fans were booing when they were running off at halftime.

We had a really great time last night. VERY spirited crowd. :king-pour:In our section, they were booing the REFS who were totally pathetic. It looked from where we were sitting that the Duke player was going for Gadbois knees on the play he got hurt.

Oh btw, don't know if anyone said it. The fans were booing when they were running off at halftime.

Advertisement
I was at the game section 142. Early on stadium was emtpy (as is the case for all games save FSU). Stadium filled up and although I have no idea how about the number most of the lowerbowl filled up quite nicely. Rain dump emptied stadium for about 5 -10 minutes and the stadium emptied again once Waters hailed in the killer TD.

Crowd was loud, players were involved with the crowd and cane fans no matter how empty the stadium is are something to fear if you are opposing team fans.

THAT WILL NEVER GO AWAY.

We are some fans...

It was surprisingly crowded. The parking lot attendants were expressing the same thing when I arrived 40 minutes prior to kickoff. I heard them saying that they were already beyond the point they expected to reach when the game began. One guy said to the other that unless Miami defeats Duke, the crowds won't remain that size, especially for day games. Nobody should underestimate the difference between 7:30 and noon for our fan base. Unless there's an unusual excuse to show up the noon games are unoccupied, especially in the first quarter.

Keep in mind the dynamics of Sun Life Stadium. In the Orange Bowl your neighbors would be there throughout the game. In this stadium the people next to you technically have season tickets but you might see them an hour combined all season. That's not much of an exaggeration. I have 4 guys sitting immediately to my right who never show up until mid to late second quarter. Then they'll sit down until close to halftime. At that point they depart for beer and somewhere else. I never bother to ask. One guy occasionally returns for part of the 4th quarter but I never see the others. That type of thing goes on throughout the stadium. The number of cars and people is never expressed in regard to people actually in their seats and in view of the TV cameras, particularly beyond halftime. At Sun Life there is the halftime departure and also the post game departure. Late second quarter is the only semi representative view of actual crowd size.

In the Duke game it started to rain sporadically at halftime. That delayed the return to the seats, even among the fans who actually planned to return to their seats. Then the deluge during our drive early that quarter. I had to laugh at the suggestion it was a gutsy 4th down play call by Golden. He had absolutely no choice. No chance a field goal in that weather was covering 40+ yards. I haven't watched the tape of the game yet. Television might not have depicted it accurately. It was coming down so heavily that at least 80% of the fans scattered. That meant quite a bit of camaraderie from those of us who remained in our seats. It felt like an accomplishment. One guy from far away in my section raced toward me to slap hands after the touchdown catch. There was nobody else in his vicinity to celebrate with.

Parking was much fuller than the previous two games, I had to park further than usual. I saw the quote in the Miami Herald about fans booing before halftime. I sit in the WEZ, we were applauding the team, lots of love. DID NOT HEAR A SINGLE BOO, maybe where Greg Cote from the Herald sits there were a few jerks booing. I saw an engaged fan based, 45,000 for sure. Lets face it with 45,000 there are still 30,000 empty seats, no tarp can hide that. But I was proud of us that were there, we screamed and it was just like 1985, fans made a difference!, the defense feeds of the crowd and that has been the case since the day the greatest of all Canes played Jerome Brown!

Advertisement
As I've been saying on the other threads, the crowd was really into it, especially on 3rd downs, when Denzel did those pushups, and when it was pouring. When it rained, the student section was going absolutely crazy.
Now I can say that the student section was booing at half, but it wasn't that we were booing our guys. I can't remember exactly, but it was more of the refs and Duke running off (because the student section is behind the Away bench).
Also, I'm much happier about where the student section is. Going from goal post to the 35/40 yard line. Allows us to get a better view and hopefully get into the opponents heads.

Also, For basketball the student section will show up when we have big games, or if we are doing well. If we are playing Duke, UNC, FSU, ND...It'll be basically full. Especially considering this year we will be much better than last year. And even though I don't care much for basketball, The absolute best game I've been to was when we knocked off Duke when they were #1 and we stormed the court. The UF football game would be 2nd. but the energy at that basketball game was just unreal, just like how good we played.

Advertisement
Back