Great Article - The Athletic Miami State of the Program

It took Dabo a lot longer than 3-5 years. Took over halfway through 2008, first full year 2009.

Wound up winning the ACC year three (2011) only to get boat-raced in the Orange Bowl, 70-33 by West Virginia.

Looked like a national title contender in 2013, but rocked at home (as the #3 team in the nation) by #5 Florida State, 51-14. Lost in Tallahassee the next year, two—keeping the Tigers from winning the Atlantic in back-to-back seasons—after getting clobbered by Georgia in the opener, 45-21 and laying a late-season egg at Georgia Tech, 28-6.

Finally, fully turned that corner and became a power by 2015—his seventh full season at Clemson. Prior to that he was close, but still dropped key games that cost his teat the division or a shot at something bigger—the types of games our fan base would destroy a head coach over; falling to mid-tier in-conference foes, or taking those big beatings (West Virginia, Florida State) on the national stage that would have fans calling for his head the next day.

These comparisons of head coaches when they're on top—in comparison to on-the-rise coaches—is never a good jumping off point, as everyone only remembers Dabo circa 2015-2018. Nobody (but Clemson fans) remember 2009-2014 and all those years they were close, but **** the bed and laid eggs.

Manny has some talent on this squad, as well as familiarity with the defense—but it takes time to build contenders, as it does turning contenders into champions. Dabo had contenders—2012-2014—before finally turning that corner and fielding a champion.

Translation; the Canes are going to have to get to that big time place and lose before they learn how to win—hence why the goal this season is to win the lowly Coastal and to at least get a crack at Clemson in the ACC title game. Need to take some lumps and build for the future, while also getting some wins today.

So it took Dabo 6 to 7 years at win big at Clemson? This is Miami, in six years Manny will either have a NC title and starting his second year as NFL HC, or a DC again someplace else. If he doesn’t have a winning QBs on the team already, there better be one coming in next year’s and starting his freshmen year. Hype machines needs results fast, not grinding process.

Advertisement
Typical ah who's happy with corporate/wealthy welfare and too stupid to realize one can share paid for literature. Bet if you went to his house, the AH doesn't want you reading his newspaper because he paid for it.

Hey, can I be dead set against the corporate welfare and hate the FED protecting the rich with every breath, but still say buy your own paper? I mean, you are Cane brother and hate the swamp scum so you are welcome to it, but not many others.

Still, cutting Dabo’s time in half means 4-5yrs. Will the fan base have the patience to wait it out that long, especially if we take drubbings like Clemson did those early years, to realize that it’s an uphill climb to the mountain top and that we just don’t leapfrog up there or parachute in? I pray so, to me when Manolo moves the needle forward that hopefully all will see (or the vast majority) that we are moving in the right direction.

There will ALWAYS be noise after big losses.

This makes fan bases restless. Contrary to popular belief, Miami is not unique in this regard.

What does make Miami unique is the stubbornness of its coaches and weakness of our ad.

When most powerhouse teams have had success with persistent weakness that gets exposed in humiliating losses, coordinators and position coaches get fired.

Yeah fans of those schools talk hella **** about the HC, but revamping the staff gets most guys more time. They earned this time by taking steps toward the big picture goal and showing themselves to be self aware and willing to take responsibility for the setbacks.

Miami coaches get smashed and come out afterwards making excuses, throwing players under the bus talking about youth and that execution bullshyt.

Fans are ****ed about the losses, but it’s these guys arrogance and hubris that makes **** get so toxic so fast.

The thing I like about Manny is he doesn’t make a lot of excuses. When there is a problem he changes what HE is doing AND GETS RESULTS. Richt was talking that dumb **** about youth, execution, and needing more players. Never would even considered that the problem for playing beneath our talent level on offense was his philosophy and game planning.

Fans will be patient as long as there is consistent progress and problems with strategy are addressed. Social media has changed things, but a big loss in a vacuum won’t be Diaz’s undoing if it goes to ****. It will be doing dumb **** even casual fans know is stupid and acting like he isn’t the problem that will get him run out of town prematurely.

Still, cutting Dabo’s time in half means 4-5yrs. Will the fan base have the patience to wait it out that long, especially if we take drubbings like Clemson did those early years, to realize that it’s an uphill climb to the mountain top and that we just don’t leapfrog up there or parachute in? I pray so, to me when Manolo moves the needle forward that hopefully all will see (or the vast majority) that we are moving in the right direction.

It depends. If we keep making progress probably. It took JJ to year 4 and he inherited Howards team. You would have thought we made progress with how we ended 2016 and started 2017. Then last year happened. Another step back like last year would try everyone's patience.

Advertisement
It took Dabo a lot longer than 3-5 years. Took over halfway through 2008, first full year 2009.

Wound up winning the ACC year three (2011) only to get boat-raced in the Orange Bowl, 70-33 by West Virginia.

Looked like a national title contender in 2013, but rocked at home (as the #3 team in the nation) by #5 Florida State, 51-14. Lost in Tallahassee the next year, two—keeping the Tigers from winning the Atlantic in back-to-back seasons—after getting clobbered by Georgia in the opener, 45-21 and laying a late-season egg at Georgia Tech, 28-6.

Finally, fully turned that corner and became a power by 2015—his seventh full season at Clemson. Prior to that he was close, but still dropped key games that cost his teat the division or a shot at something bigger—the types of games our fan base would destroy a head coach over; falling to mid-tier in-conference foes, or taking those big beatings (West Virginia, Florida State) on the national stage that would have fans calling for his head the next day.

These comparisons of head coaches when they're on top—in comparison to on-the-rise coaches—is never a good jumping off point, as everyone only remembers Dabo circa 2015-2018. Nobody (but Clemson fans) remember 2009-2014 and all those years they were close, but **** the bed and laid eggs.

Manny has some talent on this squad, as well as familiarity with the defense—but it takes time to build contenders, as it does turning contenders into champions. Dabo had contenders—2012-2014—before finally turning that corner and fielding a champion.

Translation; the Canes are going to have to get to that big time place and lose before they learn how to win—hence why the goal this season is to win the lowly Coastal and to at least get a crack at Clemson in the ACC title game. Need to take some lumps and build for the future, while also getting some wins today.

underrated post.

@Canes21 appreciate the comment. typical liberal, wants everything free and handed to them. unable to work for it or figure out a way to read it. I am not copying the article cause the mods will ban you.

so I used this thing, and I know this may be above your reading comprehension, called a free trial. I signed up for the free trial period so I could read the article for free....imagine that! then I will cancel when the free trial is over. holy moly batman!! what a deal!
Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuusmeeeeeeee!!! Downvote for your “Typical liberal” comment. Being conservative does not make you better, more correct, or more Patriotic. I vote on issues, so not Republican or Democrat here. However, in my neck of the woods, it’s mostly republican voters in the food stamp line with 5 and 6 kids, while they find reasons to blame others for their plight. No one is calling them “Typical” anything. Matter of fact, the liberal State is more compassionate and helpful to all in need, without any bias. You conservatives need to pipe down with the sanctimonious denigration of anything not conservative. Last time I checked, one is free to bileve what they want, without persecution or targeting in any way, in this great country of ours.

Advertisement
Advertisement

I have patience as long as 1.) he recruits well and 2.) he fixes mistakes.

What did Golden and Richt in was their refusal to change something that was clearly broken (Defense for Golden and Offense for Richt), and recruiting started to suffer.

Manny seems like the kind of coach who will make adjustments as needed. If I have any questions about him, it's how well does he recruit? We ain't winning championships with a bunch of "underrated" 3-stars.

So it took Dabo 6 to 7 years at win big at Clemson? This is Miami, in six years Manny will either have a NC title and starting his second year as NFL HC, or a DC again someplace else. If he doesn’t have a winning QBs on the team already, there better be one coming in next year’s and starting his freshmen year. Hype machines needs results fast, not grinding process.
yes but Venerables being hired dcord is what helped Clemson take the next step.

The only thing he was bragging about on the football side was the coaches offices that are being done.

Something this nice only costs 1M

@Rellyrell
Now this is a minuscule upgrade but even this looks better than what Miami has. And when they build their football complex in 2021 they are getting a brand new locker room. Miami got to continue to upgrade its facilities. Truly believe the lockeroom/player lounge area is the last missing piece of what can make Miami’s facilities elite

Old

New

Last edited:
Advertisement
@Rellyrell
Now this is a minuscule upgrade but even this looks better than what Miami has. And when they build their football complex in 2021 they are getting a brand new locker room. Miami got to continue to upgrade its facilities. Truly believe the lockeroom/player lounge area is the last missing piece of what can make Miami’s facilities elite

Old
View attachment 90189

NewView attachment 90190

100% Facts

I saw Something today saying uf new football complex will be about 85 million dollars and I know FSU is getting one too. Miami better not getting complacent because their facilities will look outdated real fast and that’s just facts

The IPF was a start; but they need to upgrade the overall complex. And for all the naysayers, what always happens when a kid come here? They said, the campus was great love the smaller classes. They go to Athens, OSU, Bama, and their reply was “the facilities were amazing” They just embellish about that.

We’re not dealing w yesterday’s generation; these mofos are licking ice cream & putting it back on the shelf b/c they saw other kids do it via social media! They’re impressionable af! So yeah, I have to admit, all that chit matters. We need to upgrade the lockers & complex. Can’t pat the back b/c a IPF was built

Advertisement
Back