Great article on the History of Miami uniforms

Advertisement
Jim Otto, not many centers in Canton Ohio. Those face masks were the best!
Only picture I've ever been able to find of Jim Otto in a Miami uniform.

I saw a roster recently of one of the big Texas schools from the mid-1950's. I can't remember which one--I don't know if I posted anything here about it. I was just amazed at the sizes. Running backs around 150-60. Linemen under 200. Your fat older sister of today might attract recruiting interest since she would be considered massive.

Pro linemen of Otto's era would be considered a good size if they were about 250. If you look at Otto's Raider pictures of that era you see that he did not have massive arms like today's linemen have. I believe they did weight-training, but it was nowhere near like the way they do it now.

A friend of mine who played on some of our very good late sixties teams told me that some of our players lifted but it was more optional, not a mandatory part of college football training like it is now. (Although I suspect that there might still be a few guys on our teams who do not lift all that regularly--one skinny backup QB, in particular.)

I Understand your feeling on this but I really like these throwbacks a lot.... The Helmets are awesome... Give me the flags all day long...
View attachment 130493
throw up team america GIF

Really into that chit man; that’s my nerd side....history. Some fans be like leave the past in the past, but I like when companies honor our sports history & bring out classic jerseys, even if they look “goofy” in today’s current jersey format. Do I wanna see them every game? Fck no; but I don’t mind a classic throw back from times past to mark a significant event.
Yeah; would love to know where we got these schemes from. Looking at other Universities’ jersey history, our color scheme has changed drastically over the years. Other schools may have changed patterns, hues, designs, etc., but the color scheme has remained pretty consistent. We’ve remained consistent w the O, G, & W since like 70’s, so I can see why fans be like don’t touch our chit. Lol.
That’s a question for @TheMatador

Advertisement
Yeah, those old time green and gold uniforms are hideous. I’m ok with leaving those in the past. I mean gold isn’t even one of the university’s colors.
True, but it’s part of our history. I always try to respect, appreciate and learn from history and tradition....the good with the bad.

For a lot of you who never lived through the ups and downs of the decades before we blew it wide open in the early ‘80’s, you just cannot have the appreciation I have for the many successes of the years since.

Sure, we’ve had some real disappointments and frustrations over the last couple of decades, but I also have a lot of hope and optimism for the future as a result of my experience.

That’s a question for @TheMatador
I don’t really know why we had gold pants and helmets up until maybe 1964. I think we replaced the gold with white around ‘64-5.

I think George Mira, the real Matador, wore a gold helmet.

We used to wear green, not orange, jerseys.
Just not sure about the changes....have to think about it and maybe try to research it.

I don’t really know why we had gold pants and helmets up until maybe 1964. I think we replaced the gold with white around ‘64-5.

I think George Mira, the real Matador, wore a gold helmet.

We used to wear green, not orange, jerseys.
Just not sure about the changes....have to think about it and maybe try to research it.
Right; and like ur above post referenced, I too appreciate our history, even if it’s not based upon what we now know it as “The U.” So no lie, when we broke out the Hurricane Flag unis, I was baffled. I thought Nike was doing some gimmick chit; then I did research and saw that was a classic uniform. Immediately fell in love b/c it was a homage to our past. Lotta guys came through & paved ways that dawned these past uniforms...so if we get a retro here & there to pay homage, I’m for it. OSU, Meeechigan, UNC, UF, and several others have done so in yrs past. Just as long as it’s for a commemorative moment, I’m good w it....if it’s in our archive. Another reason why I didn’t have a problem w/ the green lids (albeit it should’ve been solid green) or the burnt orange lids (which could’ve been darker)....simply b/c once upon a time, we rocked those lids.

Advertisement
Always loved the white on orange. Used to like the green tops til 03 Fiesta bowl. The storm troopers were always nice to me. Think first time I noticed them was 99 vs fsu... Santana game

Advertisement
You may need to ask one of the historians here or maybe one of the old timers who can remember that long ago but I do believe the university didn't make Orange, green and white the official colors until the 1970's. Once again, I may be remembering it wrong as it was before my time for sure.
Nope I looked it up in an actual book I have many years of the miami media guide from back when they still had it in print . The colors were selected in 1926 and they represent the colors of an orange tree.by the way we chose the hurricanes in 1927 after a devastating storm in 1926

Advertisement
Nope I looked it up in an actual book I have many years of the miami media guide from back when they still had it in print . The colors were selected in 1926 and they represent the colors of an orange tree.by the way we chose the hurricanes in 1927 after a devastating storm in 1926
Any knowledgeable Cane fan has known these since forever...

Yeah, the official colors were always green, orange and white but for some reason in the 50’s and 60’s they played in green and yellow uniforms. We didn’t see the modern, orange uniforms until the 80’s.

Advertisement
Back