Gray Crow should be moved back to QB

Advertisement
Didn't we head into one spring with just Dorsey and Ethnic? Been too long, can't remember. I'm not sure what having Crow back there really does for you, he's not a legitimate in-game option. I guess he's probably not at TE either, though, so maybe he can give Kaaya/Rosier a few breathers and theoretically give our #3 WRs better balls to catch than a walkon. Anyone have any idea if Lawson's an early entry guy?

We went into one year, maybe it was the NC year of '87, we had almost nobody. I think it might have been Steve Walsh, starting for the first time as a redshirt freshman, and maybe Bill Turkowski. I can't remember. I was at the Jimmy Johnson call-in show at that BBQ place in South Miami, and he announced that they had found a third QB who was coming in to provide depth. I think it was really Kirk Sandifer, who had graduated, left, but was persuaded to come back for a year to serve as a backup QB since he had played some QB in HS. We were pretty desperate that year, yet won a NC. I dunno, maybe it was the start of the '88 season, but I think it was '87, because that was also the year we lost Sileo just before the season started and I remember JJ praising Earnie Parrish as a DL for his work in practice. The fact was, we were in bad shape depth wise at both positions, had to play Greg Mark out of position as a 238 lb. DT, and we were lucky we stayed healthy enough to go through the season unscathed. This is nonsense about going through spring with two scholarship QBs. It would be nice to have more, but we've been in much worse position and came out of it OK.

We're allowed far fewer scholarship players now, yet people whine saying we don't have enough depth, when we really have more good depth now than we had with some of our top teams in the '80's.

Actually, the three QBs on roster in '87 were Walsh, Erickson and Sandifer. I checked it out. We would have been in big trouble had we been forced to go with Sandifer. I know Sandifer had been in the program the year before as a backup punter but I guess he was so bad he left the program. I don't ever remember him punting.

http://hurricanewarriors.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=345&Itemid=2

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
You can't go into the spring with two scholarship QBs.

Dang, Al must read your posts. He doesn't reply to my emails anymore. Do you think you could let him know that his offense is now as bad as his defense -- we have achieved continuity, can we trying winning now?

Advertisement
Didn't we head into one spring with just Dorsey and Ethnic? Been too long, can't remember. I'm not sure what having Crow back there really does for you, he's not a legitimate in-game option. I guess he's probably not at TE either, though, so maybe he can give Kaaya/Rosier a few breathers and theoretically give our #3 WRs better balls to catch than a walkon. Anyone have any idea if Lawson's an early entry guy?

We went into one year, maybe it was the NC year of '87, we had almost nobody. I think it might have been Steve Walsh, starting for the first time as a redshirt freshman, and maybe Bill Turkowski. I can't remember. I was at the Jimmy Johnson call-in show at that BBQ place in South Miami, and he announced that they had found a third QB who was coming in to provide depth. I think it was really Kirk Sandifer, who had graduated, left, but was persuaded to come back for a year to serve as a backup QB since he had played some QB in HS. We were pretty desperate that year, yet won a NC. I dunno, maybe it was the start of the '88 season, but I think it was '87, because that was also the year we lost Sileo just before the season started and I remember JJ praising Earnie Parrish as a DL for his work in practice. The fact was, we were in bad shape depth wise at both positions, had to play Greg Mark out of position as a 238 lb. DT, and we were lucky we stayed healthy enough to go through the season unscathed. This is nonsense about going through spring with two scholarship QBs. It would be nice to have more, but we've been in much worse position and came out of it OK.

We're allowed far fewer scholarship players now, yet people whine saying we don't have enough depth, when we really have more good depth now than we had with some of our top teams in the '80's.

Actually, the three QBs on roster in '87 were Walsh, Erickson and Sandifer. I checked it out. We would have been in big trouble had we been forced to go with Sandifer. I know Sandifer had been in the program the year before as a backup punter but I guess he was so bad he left the program. I don't ever remember him punting.

http://hurricanewarriors.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=345&Itemid=2

Ah, those were the days. Worrying about QB depth because we ONLY had two NC qbs, on the roster to replace our Heisman winner. Those were the days. Although I do remember wondering if JJ was every going to frigging win a Bowl game. I think the dude was 0 and 3 at the time with frigging Bernie and Vinny at QB and an All Pro defensive line. Love me some JJ but he should have won at least 3(I'll forgive him for being cheated by ND) not just one NC. But still what days those were.

I feel a lot better about the game on Saturday knowing he's back at QB. Everything has to be neat and in order on the rooster or I can't sleep at night.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back