Grad Transfer WR Rico Bussey Jr

Advertisement
The fact that a single person agrees with NSOM's horrible take on our WR shows how little football sense some posters have . You just can't judge our WR when we haven't had an OC or QB . and even then Wiggins and Harley have shown flashes and Payton is beast . Pope I don't know about but again since we haven't anyone to get him the ball or an OC to scheme plays I give him the benefit of the doubt. None the less we must add 1 more WR for depth.

I thought it was almost universally understood here that our offensive coaches for the past few years have criminally misused and underutilized our talent on offense? Many on this board have complained about how our plodding, out-dated offense continually puts our players at a disadvantage, how our coaches don't know how to effectively get our playmakers the ball in space, how poor play calling and lackluster pace throw off our rhythm, how overused and ill-timed play-action passes force our OL to hold their blocks for too long and doesn't give our QB enough time to set up and go through his progressions.

My question is, how can you on one hand acknowledge that our coaches have been continually putting our players at a disadvantage while at the same time writing off the ability of those same players before seeing what they can do under competent coaches and in a better designed, properly run offensive system?

A majority of college football programs would have taken players like JT, Pope, Hightower, Wiggins and Harley when they were being recruited out of HS. What's more plausible to you, that we (and a ton of other programs) just did a bad job evaluating those players and they actually ALL suck, or that our incompetent coaches with their outdated offense system did a poor job of maximizing their potential?

I might be in the minority here but I'm actually pretty optimistic about our TEs and WRs next year and am excited to see what they can do in an attacking, ultra fast-paced offense under competent coaching and qb play. While I'd love to add a player like Bussey to the mix, I see him as more of a luxury than a need right now considering our more pressing needs at OL, cb and LB.

Advertisement
Those are all good points

But we also brought in King who has all the potential in the world. By not giving him every weapon possible we could be somewhat limiting him. Our Wr's are unproven and average. Maybe another quality receiver helps our OC and King do what they were brought in to do. Additionally, I will say the ACL tear isnt the best case scenario. I'd rather bring in a WR, who is injury free, through the portal that can fight for PT.
I don't disagree with that at all.

Like I said in my original comment, I'm not against taking him if we can get him, its just that the ACL issue & the fact we only have 1 scholly left (as of now) & we still have glaring needs at other spots is the only thing that raises some questions.

On the other hand, he's a very productive WR in very similar system we're going to be running so having another weapon never hurts. It also gives us a chance to redshirt kids like Worsham or Restrepo who are probably not physically ready to play day 1.

If this kid can get healthy & back to full speed & we can get him than you take him. All I was saying was we should be trying to land a OT or CB with just 1 spot left, both things can be true at the same time.

I like this Bussy kid would be a nice pick up moving to the spread! I'm tired of everyone talking down on our receivers like they didn't see that ****** *** horrible offence the last 2 years! Wiggins looked like he can fly an could be really good! Pope to me has the tools Enos offence didn't fit him! Peyton looks like he could be good also. Jury still out it's a new system there all gonna have more cathes than they did past couple years and our tight ends are gonna eat I could see Mallory split out alot like njoku.

This take is extremely retarded & has no context whatsoever, which is CIS in a nutshell.
Pope falls to like the 5th or 6th WR on the depth chart and has 277 yards in two years and couldn't even get in the main WR rotation over Harley and Wiggins but it's retarted right?

Advertisement

Like I said in my original comment, I'm not against taking him if we can get him, its just that the ACL issue & the fact we only have 1 scholly left (as of now) & we still have glaring needs at other spots is the only thing that raises some questions.

On the other hand, he's a very productive WR in very similar system we're going to be running so having another weapon never hurts. It also gives us a chance to redshirt kids Worsham or Restrepo who are probably not physically ready to play day 1.

If this kid can healthy & back to full speed & we can get him than you take him. All I was saying was we should be trying to land a OT or CB with just 1 spot left, both things can be true at the same time.
Agreed. Would love to have Bussey in the mix at Wr. However, just looking at needs, it would be tough for me if we went ahead and pulled the trigger on Bussey with our one remaining scholarship (provided he's interested of course) and added him to a position group where I think we have enough talent already and then have to watch as a quality grad transfer OT or cb hits the transfer portal after Spring evals and we don't have a scholarship to offer him. Best case scenario is that we have some guys already on the roster step up and prove themselves serviceable at those problem positions and then we can better afford to add a luxury player like Bussey for depth and competition.

Just cuz hes a older productive player doesn't mean he's going to have those same results against p5 defenses......I'd rather go after Black....

Agreed. Would love to have Bussey in the mix at Wr. However, just looking at needs, it would be tough for me if we went ahead and pulled the trigger on Bussey with our one remaining scholarship (provided he's interested of course) and added him to a position group where I think we have enough talent already and then have to watch as a quality grad transfer OT or cb hits the transfer portal after Spring evals and we don't have a scholarship to offer him. Best case scenario is that we have some guys already on the roster step up and prove themselves serviceable at those problem positions and then we can better afford to add a luxury player like Bussey for depth and competition.
I don't think any quality starting grad Transfer OT is going to come to Miami to prepare for the NFL.

Advertisement
Austincane comes in and tests the waters to see if anyone is going to bring up the DM.

Just come on back bro. It's okay lmao

I don't think any quality starting grad Transfer OT is going to come to Miami to prepare for the NFL.
Would have been just as easy to say that about D. King, Osborne, Roche, ect...yet there they were, available, and we were able to add them. I don't think it's unrealistic to envision a scenario in which a talented 5th year senior OT, finding himself 2nd on the depth chart behind an even more talented player after spring, would look for another situation in which he stood a better chance of starting than where he's at. Our troubles at OT are well know throughout CFB after the absurd amount of sacks given up by the position last year. For me it's not hard to imagine a grad transfer looking at the performance of our OTs last year and thinking that it would be a pretty good situation where he could come in and start.

Advertisement
Would have been just as easy to say that about D. King, Osborne, Roche, ect...yet they were available and we were able to add them. I don't think it's unrealistic to envision a scenario in which a talented 5th year senior OT, finding himself 2nd on the depth chart behind an even more talented player after spring, would look for another situation in which he stood a better chance of starting than where he's at. Our troubles at OT are well know throughout CFB after the absurd amount of sacks given up by the position last year. For me it's not hard to imagine a grad transfer looking at the performance of our OTs last year and thinking that it would be a pretty good situation where he could come in and start.
Those actually made perfect sense. Miami constantly puts Pass Rushers in the NFL and Roche would be a perfect fit here. King also fit Rhett Lashlee system very well so that makes sense. WRs are always attracted to Miami.

Without reading every page, I think it's really this simple. Lashlee thinks his WR room needs help, so he's looking for another WR. I'll trust his judgement on it. Do we have other needs? Yes. If our new OC thinks WR is a problem, and he wants an older, experienced WR to help fix the room, so be it.

On the other hand, he's a very productive WR in very similar system we're going to be running so having another weapon never hurts. It also gives us a chance to redshirt kids like Worsham or Restrepo who are probably not physically ready to play day 1.

If this kid can get healthy & back to full speed & we can get him than you take him. All I was saying was we should be trying to land a OT or CB with just 1 spot left, both things can be true at the same time.

no doubt big bro. it's a tough decision to have to make.

Pope falls to like the 5th or 6th WR on the depth chart and has 277 yards in two years and couldn't even get in the main WR rotation over Harley and Wiggins but it's retarted right?
It's absolutely retarded because it's without context to his situation.

His Freshman season he didn't even play & last year he was behind upperclassmen like JT, KJ & Mike Harley & barely played. In the few instances when he did he made plays.

Just like how Mike Harley didn't do anything until his Junior season, to write off Pope coming into his Junior year while playing in awful offenses is premature & stupid.

Especially when he's going to be a starter this year, you'd be wise to wait & see how different he looks in an Air Raid/Spread offense before you declare him as a bust.

That's why it's dumb, it shows you're looking at it as though all things being even, when they haven't been.

Advertisement
Back