Got beat by a team that...

Advertisement
We can't beat GT because our BOT doesn't pay coaches, Shalala ruined the program, we have to get a bagman to keep GT from poaching our recruits, refs are biased for GT, our stadium is too far away from campus, and our weight room weights aren't heavy enough. Did I miss any excuses?

Is full of three-star players from GA who had few P5 offers and that run a high school offense.

* It's not a high school offense. That's the mythology. High school offenses are seldom that physical or relentless anymore. High school offenses these days are actually what the Canes are running now...a shotgun finesse mess with no identity whatsoever, other than to badly outman the opponent and enable prancing touchdowns without much stress or dirty uniforms required

So no kidding we are complaining when we think we badly outman the opponent but somehow it doesn't equate to prancing touchdowns all over the place.

* We are so sickeningly fragile. That's what gets me. From all the presnap penalties to Jeff Thomas getting shoved out of the way like a 5 year old after muffing the punt. That play symbolized this Canes season beyond anything else I can think of. First of all, it's the difference between a very good punt team and a laughably inept punt team. If Miami had punted in that situation the ball would have landed 20-30 yards further upfield. Then it's the difference between a stout team and a weakling team. I kept thinking about an Alabama return man in the same position. Do you think he gets abused like that?

Obviously Thomas is one of our best players but the South Florida weakling tendencies are all over the place. I attend those high school games and will continue to insist that the pantyhose tendencies I see on Friday night transfer to how the Canes play

* Awful defensive scheming by Diaz. You cannot run a 3-man line against an option offense like that, and leave such gaping holes for the B-back on either side of the center. As soon as I saw our alignment to begin the game I knew we were sunk. This needs to be emphasized more than anything. Our defense actually had great intensity but was compromised by the idiocy of our coordinator. You have to run an attacking 4-2-5 or 4-4-3 alignment against an offense like that, with pinched defensive tackles to cause penetration and prevent the cavernous gaps on so many pivotal plays, like those 3rd and 5 plays when Georgia Tech's biggest problem up the middle with the B-back was not to laugh. Clemson ran plenty of 3-man line against Georgia Tech early in the season and I think Diaz was overly swayed by that. There is no comparison between Clemson defensive personnel and our personnel. I also think Diaz was overconfident based on our game against Georgia Tech last season, which was payed in the muck on a field which compromised their offense. If we spent 5 seconds looking at that film it was 5 seconds too much.

* This Georgia Tech offensive line is superior to any of the past several years. That needs to be mentioned. It's the reason they can throw the ball so seldom. Some tweaks to the offense but notice they are not abusing the rocket toss anymore. They use that play only when Johnson has no confidence in the B-back aspect up the middle and otherwise doesn't think the quarterback can get to the corner. In their worst seasons Georgia Tech is stuck using that rocket toss all the time. In the 2018 offense they use it as changeup...not necessity

* With our offense I have no idea why we gave up on the midrange throws after it was obvious they were available. Those 10-25 yard throws looked like they would be there all night on the opening possession, especially if used on early downs. Somehow we brainstormed to go away from that and either throw screens or bombs. Brilliant. It took until late third quarter when we went midrange sideline again, successfully to Thomas.

* Yes, I lost a hefty wager on this game. More than normal because I was convinced the +4.5 would drop. It did drop, as low as -1 on the other side but I did not play for the middle. I let it ride on Canes +4.5. Actually my mistake was not playing the money line at +170 or thereabouts. That turned into a nice scalp.

If I were a halftime guy I would have gotten off the game at halftime, solely because of how soft we looked, and the stupidity of that 3-man line. But I seldom wager at halftime since that is subjectivity and not systems, which I prefer

* The +4.5 allows interesting room for cheap covers because sometimes with a 6 point margin like 27-21 the team with the lead will surrender a safety. That situation never presented itself tonight but I've seen it many times and benefitted a few times.

Advertisement
Need too blame everyone involved here no it just cmr.wish just once we'd field a fundamentally coached team from top to bottom.our team lacks the knowledge on how to play winning football.got to do the little right as well as the big thing this team doesn't known for a long time.next spring whoever the coach is close practices no spring game just every season teach fundamental s and run the players a$$ess off.get tough on the soft a$$ players

Is full of three-star players from GA who had few P5 offers and that run a 1980's high school offense.

edit: wanted to be fair to modern high school offenses; GT runs a 1980's high school offense.

You may not like the Triple O offense but GT is ranked #21 in total offense going into tonight's game.

Advertisement
Anyone have Nevin Shapiro's number? Maybe he can drop some more recruiting dirt to the NCAA and Rick will bolt to avoid being implicated.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back