Gore! [to retire as a 49er]

All of Butch's assistants (beside Pagano) stayed on to atleast 2005...some 2007....Kehoe, Soldinger and Curtis were outstanding recruiters in their own right. Coker was OC from 95-2000....Not ONE quality kid came to UM during those yrs because of him. @Brooklyndee was 1st recruited by Erickson, then closed by Butch/Pagano...he'd be the guy to clear up any and all misinformation.
I think people forget he didn't just inherit the players, he also inherited a beast staff. I liked Larry. He is a good guy. But hes a pushover and everyone just walked all over him. The problem was he never should've been anything more than an oc. Is what it is now. But this whole revisionist history thing on here is rarely based on reality.

Advertisement
I give Coker credit for two things:

1. Being a good OC the entire period Butch rebuilt the program. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been on staff.

2. More or less getting out of the way as a HC to come within a horrible OT call of winning consecutive undefeated NCs. More, because he recognized the senior leadership on the team was so strong. Less, because once that leadership departed after 2002 he proved he did not have HC skills to run a program, especially one like Miami.
Larry was very good to me...Let me attend practices (even closed ones) through 2004....But Cot ****...he was handed the keys to a Lamborghini....and drove it off a Cliff named Chevy Vega....

IIRC, him and Roscoe Parrish weren't takes by Butch while still here. One of the few good things from Coker taking over.
Wasn't a take by Butch??... Why I outta.....
5B2050DD-B3AC-4922-8E2D-A2F64868578A.gif

You're just trying to fvck with people right? Comer was a horrible recruiter. That and the fact he didn't know how to delegate authority is the sole reason we went down this ****** asss rabbit hole. All he did was offer four and five star kids who sites were high on. Evaluations took a back seat to rankings add on to that he had a **** good staff at first. He just pushed everyone away within a few years because he needed a scapegoat for his flaws.

You realize you're agreeing with what I wrote, right? We're on the same page. Recruiting and talent evaluation are two very different things. You need to be good at both! Coker was able to get a lot of the top "list" guys. Huge names. Five stars. Look at my list. All puppy dogs and ice cream cones on NLOI day. Unfortunately that's also how he decided WHO to recruit too! Off lists created by failed journalists who weren't qualified to coach JV girls football or write for a real mag, let alone accurately "scout" for D1 colleges. If you've read enough of my posts over the years, I f'ing brutalize those guys, and the cooked star system. It's a joke.

Not to digress, but my favorite example is how the 38th and 338th ranked player in America are both 4-stars. Think about that. If the rankings are right and and it all goes chalk, that means a guy taken towards the top of the 2nd round of the NFL draft who becomes an instant millionaire had the same star rating coming out of HS as a guy who would be projected to the middle of the "11th round" of the draft, if it went that far, which basically means he's the 100th most desirable UFA!!! Both 4-stars. Absolute joke. They flood the market with stars so they have hundreds of darts to throw at the board.

As for the other stuff about Coker delegating and what he did to the staff to save his own ***, we agree on that as well. That's not even debatable.

Last edited:
All of Butch's assistants (beside Pagano) stayed on to atleast 2005...some 2007....Kehoe, Soldinger and Curtis were outstanding recruiters in their own right. Coker was OC from 95-2000....Not ONE quality kid came to UM during those yrs because of him. @Brooklyndee was 1st recruited by Erickson, then closed by Butch/Pagano...he'd be the guy to clear up any and all misinformation.

Tell me Coker didn't personally recruit and close Willie Williams! I dare you! He was all over Kyle Wright too. :)

I'm not sticking up or defending Coker, I'm just being intellectually honest and delineating between "recruiting" and "evaluating." Unfortunately for Coker his weaknesses specifically precluded him from being an effective head coach.

Clap clap clap!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Best Freshman back I can remember at the U, he was dazzling and then blew out his knees... Unbelievable comeback, truly one of the greatest Canes!
Knee not knees...both injuries were to the same knee. Doctors were flabbergasted when they went to surgically repair the 1st injury, they noticed his ligaments and tendons were severely underdeveloped (true story).....

You realize you're agreeing with what I wrote, right? We're on the same page. Recruiting and talent evaluation are two very different things. You need to be good at both! Coker was able to get a lot of the top "list" guys. Huge names. Five stars. Look at my list. All puppy dogs and ice cream cones on NLOI day. Unfortunately that's also how he decided WHO to recruit too! Off lists created by failed journalists who weren't qualified to coach JV girls football or write for a real mag, let alone accurately "scout" for D1 colleges. If you've read enough of my posts over the years, I f'ing brutalize those guys, and the cooked star system. It's a joke.

Not to digress, but my favorite example is how the 38th and 338th ranked player in America are both 4-stars. Think about that. If the rankings are right and and it all goes chalk, that means a guy taken towards the top of the 2nd round of the NFL draft who becomes an instant millionaire had the same star rating coming out of HS as a guy who would be projected to the middle of the "11th round" of the draft, if it went that far, which basically means he's the 100th most desirable UFA!!! Both 4-stars. Absolute joke. They flood the market with stars so they have hundreds of darts to throw at the board.

As for the other stuff about Coker delegating and what he did to the staff to save his own ***, we agree on that as well. That's not even debatable.
I didn't read anything but Coker was responsible for Frank and just went off that madness. Past that just random skimmings. If we're on same page I apologize for tagging you in that rant.

I didn't read anything but Coker was responsible for Frank and just went off that madness. Past that just random skimmings. If we're on same page I apologize for tagging you in that rant.

All good, amigo. You were on a roll. That wasn't me though. That was another poster. Though I see how once you read that, steam would come out of your ears and everything else would start to blur lol.

That's simply not true whatsoever....Stop it...Soldinger was Gores recruiter...Butch most certainly would have taken him. @Brooklyndee this is the sh*t I was talking about....as if Coker was some Great recruiter...Lol....

Who ****es in your cereal so much?! LoL

Re-read what I wrote: I said one of the few good things from Coker taking over. Not that he was a savior by any means. Which we all know he wasn't. And Sol being his recruiter makes sense since he remained on staff.

Last edited:
Advertisement
IIRC, him and Roscoe Parrish weren't takes by Butch while still here. One of the few good things from Coker taking over.

That's simply not true whatsoever....Stop it...Soldinger was Gores recruiter...Butch most certainly would have taken him. @Brooklyndee this is the sh*t I was talking about....as if Coker was some Great recruiter...Lol....

Then let me rephrase by saying neither were likely to be academic takes due to admissions while Butch was the HC. Were both not strong leans or committed to Ole Miss till the transition? Did it work out for them and us? Absolutely. Which is all that mattered.

Is that dude serious? Butch and sarge had tutors working with Frank since his junior year at gables. Only reason Frank ever was considering ole miss is because admissions wasn't trying to let frank in due to his learning disability. He had horrible grades till butch got him a tutor to fix his scores. Dude really said Coker is why frank was a take. Lmfao
Heard he worked hard to get the grades even with the learning disability. That’s the will to do whatever it takes to do what means something to you

I find it easier to believe that Coker was a good recruiter than that Butch was so bad he didn't want Gore. That just doesn't make any sense.

I give Coker credit for two things:

1. Being a good OC the entire period Butch rebuilt the program. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been on staff.

2. More or less getting out of the way as a HC to come within a horrible OT call of winning consecutive undefeated NCs. More, because he recognized the senior leadership on the team was so strong. Less, because once that leadership departed after 2002 he proved he did not have HC skills to run a program, especially one like Miami.
I've always appreciated Coker for #2. Most coaches would have come in and felt the need to change things and assert themselves. Coker let things ride and those 2001/2002 teams took care of themselves. Most guys would have f*cked that up.

Advertisement
Knee not knees...both injuries were to the same knee. Doctors were flabbergasted when they went to surgically repair the 1st injury, they noticed his ligaments and tendons were severely underdeveloped (true story).....

Wasn't Gore quoted saying his surgically repaired knee was stronger than before the injury?

From being ignored by some colleges because he was misdiagnosed with learning disabilities to a job in an NFL front office... what an incredible story. I'm so happy Miami believed in him all those years ago.

Now imagine if he had decent knees.
Learning disability shouldn’t hold any back from getting into an NFL front office gig. ****, Ive watched the NFL long enough to know being retarded is a prerequisite for most front office jobs.

Advertisement
Back