Gore! [to retire as a 49er]

From being ignored by some colleges because he was misdiagnosed with learning disabilities to a job in an NFL front office... what an incredible story. I'm so happy Miami believed in him all those years ago.

Now imagine if he had decent knees.

IIRC, him and Roscoe Parrish weren't takes by Butch while still here. One of the few good things from Coker taking over.

Advertisement
His freshman year against West Virginia...wow! I was deployed to Kuwait and watched the game at 3 in the morning and it was worth it. Six carries for 120+ yards and 2 TDs. Also remember the game-winning TD against FSU in OT

IIRC, him and Roscoe Parrish weren't takes by Butch while still here. One of the few good things from Coker taking over.
That's simply not true whatsoever....Stop it...Soldinger was Gores recruiter...Butch most certainly would have taken him. @Brooklyndee this is the sh*t I was talking about....as if Coker was some Great recruiter...Lol....

That's simply not true whatsoever....Stop it...Soldinger was Gores recruiter...Butch most certainly would have taken him. @Brooklyndee this is the sh*t I was talking about....as if Coker was some Great recruiter...Lol....

Agree re: Gore.

But Larry Coker was a very good recruiter (wait for it)!

He signed highly ranked classes that everyone thought were full of studs. He landed many overall top 5 and 10 ranked kids, 5-stars, and high 4-star types that were recruited nationally by everyone like Kyle Wright, Greg Olsen, Tyrone Moss, Bryan Pata, Leon Williams, Antrel Rolle, Orien Harris, Frank Gore, Sean Taylor (just putting him in to trigger the people who say he wasn't a big recruit lol), Ryan Moore, Devin Hester, Eric Winston, Akieem Jolla, Curtis Justice, Nate Harris, John Wood, Tyler McMeans, Willie Williams, Lance Leggett, Charlie Jones, Bobby Washington, James Bryant, Andrew Johnson, Ryan Anderson, Dwayne Hendricks, Calais Campbell, Antonio Dixon, Reggie Youngblood, Kenny Phillips, DajLeon Farr, Spencer Adkins, Courtney Harris, Kylan Robinson, Ryan Hill, Sam Shields, LeSean McCoy and more.

Unfortunately for him he was a horrible and lazy talent evaluator, as you can see by the bust rate of everyone I named!

#popcorn

Last edited:
His freshman year against West Virginia...wow! I was deployed to Kuwait and watched the game at 3 in the morning and it was worth it. Six carries for 120+ yards and 2 TDs. Also remember the game-winning TD against FSU in OT
I remember Chris Fowler’s funny comment after Gore’s second long TD run, late in the game.

“He’s really…REALLY good!”

Advertisement

He signed highly ranked classes that everyone thought were full of studs. He landed many overall top 5 and 10 ranked kids, 5-stars, and high 4-star types that were recruited nationally by everyone like Kyle Wright, Greg Olsen, Tyrone Moss, Bryan Pata, Leon Williams, Antrel Rolle, Orien Harris, Frank Gore, Sean Taylor (just putting him in to trigger the people who say he wasn't a big recruit lol), Ryan Moore, Devin Hester, Eric Winston, Akieem Jolla, Curtis Justice, Nate Harris, John Wood, Tyler McMeans, Willie Williams, Lance Leggett, Charlie Jones, Bobby Washington, James Bryant, Andrew Johnson, Ryan Anderson, Dwayne Hendricks, Calais Campbell, Antonio Dixon, Reggie Youngblood, Kenny Phillips, DajLeon Farr, Spencer Adkins, Courtney Harris, Kylan Robinson, Ryan Hill, Sam Shields, LeSean McCoy and more.

Unfortunately for him he was a horrible and lazy talent evaluator, and you can see by the bust rate of everyone I named!

#popcorn
All those names you mentioned didn't come to UM because of Coker. Pagano (with Butch's blessings), offered Hester when he was in 9th Grade. Sean would've came if Butch stayed as well. Butch was in Antrell's living room 2 days before he left for Cleveland. Anyone who thinks that Butch wasn't on to Gore, SeanTay etc....are loons. With Gore, Butch (rightfully so) was worried about the grades issue (learning disability) but it was Sarge who took control of the situation. It was actually Portis, if anyone, that Butch had to be talked into offering (by Sarge)

Last edited:
Comments:
  • Happy for Gore, and his HOF induction in five years.​
  • Shame we only got glimpses of his greatness as a Cane. Had he not been injured…wow….​
  • Who thinks he should have played against Ohio State after Willis went down? Or was that not a real option?​

All those names you mentioned didn't come to UM because of Coker. Pagano (with Butch's blessings, offered Hester when he was in 9th Grade. Sean would've came if Butch stayed as well. Butch was in Antrells living room 2 days before he left for Cleveland. Anyone who thinks that Butch wasn't on to Gore, SeanTay etc....are loons. With Gore, Butch (rightfully so) was worried about the grades issue (learning disability) but it was Sarge who took control of the situation. It was actually Portis, if anyone, that Butch had to be talked into offering (by Sarge)

We can surely nitpick a few kids, especially the 2001 class who Butch fairly gets the vast majority of the credit for, but most those guys are 2002-2005 and even 2006. He was a list guy. His downfall, but he brought in highly rated (by dumb internet jock sniffers) classes.

Advertisement
We can surely nitpick a few kids, especially the 2001 class who Butch fairly gets the vast majority of the credit for, but most those guys are 2002-2005 and even 2006. He was a list guy. His downfall, but he brought in highly rated (by dumb internet jock sniffers) classes.
All of Butch's assistants (beside Pagano) stayed on to atleast 2005...some 2007....Kehoe, Soldinger and Curtis were outstanding recruiters in their own right. Coker was OC from 95-2000....Not ONE quality kid came to UM during those yrs because of him. @Brooklyndee was 1st recruited by Erickson, then closed by Butch/Pagano...he'd be the guy to clear up any and all misinformation.

Saying Ricky Waters
And Aryon Foster

Were better
Gore is without question HOF worthy.

Last edited:
****...alot of Butchs kids were still at UM until the end of 2004....what a coincidence that once his kids were all but gone, things started spiraling out of control.

Advertisement
Is that dude serious? Butch and sarge had tutors working with Frank since his junior year at gables. Only reason Frank ever was considering ole miss is because admissions wasn't trying to let frank in due to his learning disability. He had horrible grades till butch got him a tutor to fix his scores. Dude really said Coker is why frank was a take. Lmfao

Is that dude serious? Butch and sarge had tutors working with Frank since his junior year at gables. Only reason Frank ever was considering ole miss is because admissions wasn't trying to let frank in due to his learning disability. He had horrible grades till butch got him a tutor to fix his scores. Dude really said Coker is why frank was a take. Lmfao
D.....please don't get me started, they'll Yank my *** off of this site by a Hook, Kicking & Screaming.....

Last edited:

Unfortunately for him he was a horrible and lazy talent evaluator, and you can see by the bust rate of everyone I named!

#popcorn
You're just trying to fvck with people right? Comer was a horrible recruiter. That and the fact he didn't know how to delegate authority is the sole reason we went down this ****** asss rabbit hole. All he did was offer four and five star kids who sites were high on. Evaluations took a back seat to rankings add on to that he had a **** good staff at first. He just pushed everyone away within a few years because he needed a scapegoat for his flaws.

Advertisement
****...alot of Butchs kids were still at UM until the end of 2004....what a coincidence that once his kids were all but gone, things started spiraling out of control.
I give Coker credit for two things:

1. Being a good OC the entire period Butch rebuilt the program. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been on staff.

2. More or less getting out of the way as a HC to come within a horrible OT call of winning consecutive undefeated NCs. More, because he recognized the senior leadership on the team was so strong. Less, because once that leadership departed after 2002 he proved he did not have HC skills to run a program, especially one like Miami.

Advertisement
Back