Good read on the Fiasco Bowl ten years later

VinnDogg

Senior
I still haven't been able to watch the replay of that game and most likely never will. This article is pretty cool in that some of the players from that game reflect on it.

Some choice excerpts-

On Ohio State's next offensive play, Krenzel threw deep down the middle a second before being sandwiched. Taylor tipped the ball and intercepted it as he fell onto his back near midfield.

KRENZEL: You had to know where he was at all times. He was a freak. His size, his speed, how much ground he could cover ... He's the best safety I ever played against.

QUADTRINE HILL, MIAMI FULLBACK: If I'm one-on-one against a 270-pound defensive tackle someone has made a mistake. Somebody messed up and I'm picking up the slack. I'm 212 pounds ... There was stuff going on that we weren't prepared for.

BRETT ROMBERG, MIAMI CENTER: We weren't finding solutions to the things that were going on up front. It wasn't that we weren't physically able to match up with them, there was no doubt about that. It was more adjustment-oriented. Expecting one thing, getting another thing and struggling to fix it. We never did get it right. (thanks kehoe)

SMITH: We moved our line a lot during that game ... We knew they were a great run-blocking team. We knew we had to stop their run game. If we could stop their run game we could get after Dorsey. No one ever had a chance to pass rush those guys because of McGahee.

McGAHEE: When someone gets hurt like that people are going to think that that person will never get back to playing football again. That was my situation. That was the hand that was dealt ... After that, they said I wasn't gonna make it in the NFL. Then they said I wasn't gonna last four years. Then they said I was done two years ago. Look at me now. (laughs) Still fighting. Still writing my own book.

VILMA: What really bothered us, our whole team, was that they kept showing that play over and over and over again on the Jumbotron and we were like, This is beyond football, the guy is seriously hurt. Just stop showing the **** play already. It ****ed us off ... We played with a little more juice after that.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co.../2003-fiesta-bowl-oral-history/#ixzz2H2JZhaue

Advertisement
I almost puked reading that. Losing that game is like finding out santa isnt real at 4 years old. You just live in denial for a while.

Advertisement
The oline never knowing what was going on and not being able to adjust all game is the biggest issue I took away from that...

smh... @ corch kehoe

Carlos Joseph was the weak link. Was getting beat constantly, which is why Quad Hill has to take on 270 DE's.

Advertisement
We all know who really won that game... As for Terry Porter, all i can say is he better be ready ehat is waiting for him in the next life

If the entire nation besides OSU fans think Miami won, doesn't Miami have a 6th championship? I mean, what does "official" really mean anyway its all perception.

The oline never knowing what was going on and not being able to adjust all game is the biggest issue I took away from that...

smh... @ corch kehoe

Yep. Some people still insist that Kehoe is a great OL coach. He simply isn't.

Advertisement

smh... @ corch kehoe

Which is funny because a guy like kehoe with how he always wants to coach will always be like Patrick Nix if he leaves miami, a downward spiral to high school volunteer.

He left miami and a few years later he could not find a job anywhere... surprise

****ed up how they gave that dual possession to that ***** ***** Clarrett. **** HIM, **** OHIO, **** FIESTA, **** MEXICANS, **** THE MIDWEST. ****EM, ****EM ALL.

Advertisement
Never 2 b rewatched ! If it were not for that game and the ensuing month of wandering like a zombie I would not have resorted to lurking hours a day on these boards for 10 years..... At least this one is tolerable ... ;-)

Like a lot love you have said, since that night have yet to see one highlight or replay of the game and never will.

smh... @ corch kehoe

What..........no blame goes to Coke head? I swear I'd like to slap anyone who mentions Larry being a "good offensive coordinator when he was here just not head coach material". Dude was a ******* moron. It was his responsibility. He was the "alleged" offensive minded head coach here.

More proof of Coke heads genius:

DOSS: We had 45 days to prepare. We'd call out the play before they snapped it. 'Power right!' 'Stretch right!' ... I shot my gun and Willis shot his and we hit. And right then I knew: We can play with these guys ... Everyone was looking for that first contact between me and Willis. After that, those guys had to know it was going to be a long night. It was like, you better buckle your chin strap because we're right here.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co.../2003-fiesta-bowl-oral-history/#ixzz2H5iysvLg

Advertisement
Back