Good News for Canes Fans that want Golden to Stay

Guys, it isn't possible to say he will stay if we dont get major sanctions vs Penn State offering him.. Penn St will make a move for new football coach in next 30 days. UM investigation decision from NCAA is nowhere near being done. Al will have to decide on his own if offered, with best guess on what will or wont happen to UM by the NCAA. Inside sources or no.

Advertisement
Apparently, Joe Rose says Golden is not going anywhere (going to get extended), according to sources that he (Rose) trusts.

Stop using logic or sourcing Joe, it doesn't matter when the bleeting is going on.....just sayin

Not sure why any established coach would head to Happy Valley right now. Maybe 2-3 years after everything dies down a bit. Would not want my name associated with that anytime soon. Not to mention recruiting may be difficult for some time. Hard to sit in a living room and convince mom and dad their son is safe.

Advertisement
Why is everyone automatically assuming Monkey boy wouldnt be ahead of Golden for the PSU gig? He's having a pretty decent season, has done pretty well at RU... has NFL and broader college experience... is already up there in that region, so at least as familiar with recruiting PA and NJ, and has strong ties to PSU.

I have to think Monkey boy would be at least as high as Golden on any list PSU has, if they are going that route.

That said, PSu has the money to go after a BIG name.... I could easily see them going after someone in the NFL... maybe try to "modernize" and shake things up a bit.

If offered, I think Golden would have a hard time turning down PSU. I mean its his alma mater. Its a VERY high profile program. Its his roots. They could probably pay a lot more than we can. ONLY thing that might work in a our favor is that it may happen so fast... that he may not end up as high on the list. Had this happened next year, and he had a much better season.... I think we would be a deep trouble.

At this point, have to hope they go big and look for someone proven and a "big name" type.... if they do, and he stays.... the timing of the PSU debacle may be the best thing that happend to our football program in a long time.

If offered PSU job, Golden will take it and could you blame him. He is an alum, top 10 job, plenty of money and support. Golden won't be concerned about scandal, he would be trading one scandal for another and the PSU scandal, while horrific, won't carry any sanctions. If offered he is gone. The real question is will they offer? Will they want to hire a coach who hasnt won anything? Can they do better?
I think we need to start looking for a coach.

It's not remotely a top 10 job....I'd argue that it BARELY top 25.

If offered PSU job, Golden will take it and could you blame him. He is an alum, top 10 job, plenty of money and support. Golden won't be concerned about scandal, he would be trading one scandal for another and the PSU scandal, while horrific, won't carry any sanctions. If offered he is gone. The real question is will they offer? Will they want to hire a coach who hasnt won anything? Can they do better?

Says who?

Advertisement

i'd agree with this
Pretty sure these two are talking to himself

Penn State's story is far from over. Depending on what comes out, they may well have to shut the program for a year or two. And the NCAA is going to pile on at some point, if only because why not. Going to PSU now is a sure-fire way to get fired and ruin your career.

What makes something a top ten job?

The money that the University is willing to pay, and the likelihood of success at the school and access to recruits?

We aren't top ten in money, but we are top 4 in access to recruits with ND, USC, and Texas. *I would think that, if Golden can be the next Jimmy, or Howard, or Butch we will find the money to keep him here.

Like most business decisions it will come down to money. I hope UM has its check book out.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back