Good article on UM basketball

CANEFAN83

Sophomore
Good article on future of next year's team. One difference between now and 2013, Larranaga may have had better assistants then compared to now. That can't be ignored.

Advertisement
I was thinking this during the season too, since we're gonna have 5 seniors and theoretically have some ballers coming back. Then we laid a bunch of eggs in the last month of the season with a mostly healthy roster. Now my pessimism is creeping back in.

Also, the most important bit from that article:

Larrañaga also noted he does not expect any returning players with remaining eligibility to transfer out.

Last edited:

I know the thought is that two transfers would balance out the roster but let's also consider that Wong, Beverly, Walker and Timberlake are pretty talented and they could turn pro at some point.
For the record, I still think two high school senior bigs would be a better use of the last two 2020 scholarships.

I was thinking this during the season too, since we're gonna have 5 seniors and theoretically have some ballers coming back. Then we laid a bunch of eggs in the last month of the season with a mostly healthy roster. Now my pessimism is creeping back in.

Also, the most important bit from that article:

He did, however, note that he anticipates three scholarship additions to the roster, including Brooks and Cross as two of them.

Correct me if I am wrong but this sounds like they are done with recruiting for this season.

One difference between now and 2013, Larranaga may have had better assistants then compared to now.

Yup. This has been known for a long time, the low quality assistants. If there is a season, don’t expect any changes to be made. By changes, I mean proactive changes (i.e. we fire/let go of someone and get someone better).

Expect Caputo, and that atrocious D, to still be out there.

Advertisement
Yup. This has been known for a long time, the low quality assistants. If there is a season, don’t expect any changes to be made. By changes, I mean proactive changes (i.e. we fire/let go of someone and get someone better).

Coach L gets a lot of credit for the 2013 team but correct me if I am wrong but I think most of those kids were recruited by Frank Haith.
The scary trend I also noticed is that Coach L can only reach the Sweet Sixteen (2013 and 2016) if he has 5 seniors on the roster. 2018 could have been the exception but the Bruce Brown injury changed that team.

Coach L gets a lot of credit for the 2013 team but correct me if I am wrong but I think most of those kids were recruited by Frank Haith.
The scary trend I also noticed is that Coach L can only reach the Sweet Sixteen (2013 and 2016) if he has 5 seniors on the roster. 2018 could have been the exception but the Bruce Brown injury changed that team.

I don’t care who recruited them, I am discussing coaching.

I don’t care who recruited them, I am discussing coaching.

Fair enough.
Is it fair, after 10 years to say that Coach L is only a good coach when he has 5 seniors on the team?
Given that his two most successful seasons (2013 and 2016) occurred when he had 5 seniors on the roster.

Someone needs to be held accountable for the atrocious D this year with regards to coaching. It can't just be blamed on injuries either.

Advertisement
After mentioning the FBI (hopefully) one last time, Coach L said " We are now finally where we want to be!"

Cut to next year as he is interviewed about another "seasonal" March Sadness - "We were finally where we want to be, but then that virus came by to affect recruiting".

OK OK it's just a joke. Next year this time we will be in the Final 4!

After mentioning the FBI (hopefully) one last time, Coach L said " We are now finally where we want to be!"

Cut to next year as he is interviewed about another "seasonal" March Sadness - "We were finally where we want to be, but then that virus came by to affect recruiting".

OK OK it's just a joke. Next year this time we will be in the Final 4!

SMH. Interesting how the Coronavirus is impacting recruiting when Rick Pitino can get 3 commits in a week for a team he has not coached and on a campus he has not set foot on.
Of course, I would then be the bad guy for saying anything negative about Coach L.

SMH. Interesting how the Coronavirus is impacting recruiting when Rick Pitino can get 3 commits in a week for a team he has not coached and on a campus he has not set foot on.
Of course, I would then be the bad guy for saying anything negative about Coach L.

L mentioned nothing about the virus, the dude you quoted was making a joke

Advertisement

Are you really talking about three 2 star recruits committing to a legendary, albeit, highly controversial coach who's now coaching in a mid-major conference?

Advertisement
Someone needs to be held accountable for the atrocious D this year with regards to coaching. It can't just be blamed on injuries either.

That...and let's be honest...inexplicable offensive sets at times where any semblance of ball movement or coaching was MIA .

Advertisement
Back