Good article on 1 vs 2 gap defensive line philosophy

One-gap stuff is simple to teach though. I don't think we have anything to worry about. The front-7 looked remarkably better in the spring game. Granted, against our OL, but they were in the backfield all day.

just spoke to a DL on the team. he said they were told to not go around talking about changes but they have been made. they will be more aggressive. also, hinted at some of the s & t results being a little off. said like misinformation. I also asked how he likes Coach Melvin. he said "This man is a a great teacher man."

Not getting my hopes up tho.

Jesus wept.

Advertisement
One-gap stuff is simple to teach though. I don't think we have anything to worry about. The front-7 looked remarkably better in the spring game. Granted, against our OL, but they were in the backfield all day.

2- gap stuff is simple to teach as well. The problem is that while even you yourself have stated that Dorito knows his schit, he hasn't even once shown the ability to successfully teach that information to our players in such a way that they actually learn it and apply it on the field.

That's why I think the whole thing is one big shell game.

Advertisement
our DL stands up and plays patty cake with teh OL. we do not even try to pressure the QB on most downs, and when we do we are beat pre-snap because we signal blitz.

the defense is the most aggravating and pathetic "defense" I've ever seen. I hate it and I hate Al Golden. get him the **** outa my face

Advertisement

just spoke to a DL on the team. he said they were told to not go around talking about changes but they have been made. they will be more aggressive. also, hinted at some of the s & t results being a little off. said like misinformation. I also asked how he likes Coach Melvin. he said "This man is a a great teacher man."

Not getting my hopes up tho.

I hate you for this. everytime I am ready to walk away, they pull me back in.

I would love to see CT99 and AQM line up opposite of eachother, and race to the QB.

I was under the impression our DL was running the Cumberland gap, after all there was plenty of space for the offense to maneuver in.

2-gap is harder to teach...

And even worse...

Harder for the athlete to execute.

I don't see how it's harder to teach. Can you explain that a bit more?

Obviously It is much harder for the athlete to execute and added to that it's even harder to find guys that physically CAN execute it.

Which is why it's a **** poor scheme for our recruiting base. As has been said here millions of times.

Advertisement
We had crap for talent on the 2012 D-line. It's night and day compared to then. Also, our secondary is FAR better now than 2012.
UM ran a 1 Gap in 2012...the worse defense realistically & statistically in UM history.

And even worse...

Obviously It is much harder for the athlete to execute and added to that it's even harder to find guys that physically CAN execute it.

Which is why it's a **** poor scheme for our recruiting base. As has been said here millions of times.

Cause you're teaching your D-linemen to read the Offensive Lineman across from them, step accordingly (match the O-lineman's step) then completely control the O-lineman and move him from the gap.

And even worse...

Cause you're teaching your D-linemen to read the Offensive Lineman across from them, step accordingly (match the O-lineman's step) then completely control the O-lineman and move him from the gap.

Right. That sounds more of a physical limitation than a mental one.

Understanding how to do it is easy. Having the physical abilities to do it is a whole different thing.

Advertisement

Mirroring the OLmen & TE(s) is true of ALL the front 7 positions in a 3-4.
Particularly the ILBs, they're basically glorified DTs given how much they have to take on the OGs.

Some ppl seem to misunderstand and make this about alignment. 43 or 34 means almost nothing, the important difference is the gap philosophy.

Start in the trenches first. No Coverage will look good with out pressure. NOT 1. If they drop the 2 gap philosophy they will automatically give us a BETTER CHANCE to be disruptive against run or pass. After that then they can address the alignment and coverages they will mix in .

Advertisement
Back