Off-Topic Gone too soon.

Advertisement
This is in the weeds here but imo there's a special place in **** on this front for individuals like Don Goldsberry.
I have an intense dislike for zoos. I understand keeping some animals for research and if they’re near extinction. But there’s no excuse for a 6-9 ton orca kept in a swimming pool so it splash idiots and do tricks for food. There’s no excuse for elephants, lions, tigers, gorillas, almost anything. We wonder why orcas sometimes go crazy, slamming in their heads into a wall, or elephants finally saying enough is enough and stomping a human. One of my favorite stories of the past several years was an anti-poaching group finding the mauled and partially eaten bodies of several poachers.

We can be a sick ******* species sometimes.

Advertisement
This is in the weeds here but imo there's a special place in **** on this front for individuals like Don Goldsberry.
Man at the risk of sounding like a doofus, I’ve spent the past two days deep down the rabbit hole of southern resident orcas, the 1970 penn cove incident, and any and everything tokitae related … Goldsberry and Griffin really failed that species in the matter of a few hours. I’m glad griffin got out but the lack of regret in his interviews in recent years irks me.

Advertisement
Man at the risk of sounding like a doofus, I’ve spent the past two days deep down the rabbit hole of southern resident orcas, the 1970 penn cove incident, and any and everything tokitae related … Goldsberry and Griffin really failed that species in the matter of a few hours. I’m glad griffin got out but the lack of regret in his interviews in recent years irks me.
It doesn't surprise me that you went down that rabbit hole and imo is emblematic of being the polar opposite of a doofus.

The Penn Cove stuff is nauseating. Agreed about Griffin and Goldsberry. I omitted Griffin from my original comment because it seemed like at least he was shameable at the time but the credibility that came with that enlightenment/remorse definitely was diminished by his much later attempts at reputation repair. Goldsberry was just a consistent complete p-o-s.

I'm sure you came across it your dive but it's interesting that a politician arose as one of the heroes in this front in Ralph Munro, the Republican lt. gov. of Washington at time that accidentally witnessed Goldsberry in action. Washington State and then Alaska shortly after really acted quickly and strongly to at least put an immediate end to that garbage off of American coasts.

I have an intense dislike for zoos. I understand keeping some animals for research and if they’re near extinction. But there’s no excuse for a 6-9 ton orca kept in a swimming pool so it splash idiots and do tricks for food. There’s no excuse for elephants, lions, tigers, gorillas, almost anything. We wonder why orcas sometimes go crazy, slamming in their heads into a wall, or elephants finally saying enough is enough and stomping a human. One of my favorite stories of the past several years was an anti-poaching group finding the mauled and partially eaten bodies of several poachers.

We can be a sick ******* species sometimes.
Having the animals be accessible in zoos and aquariums raises the public’s interest in them. You can debate about what is a good environment to keep them in. Though in the end if you want the public to take an interest in protecting a species and it’s habitat then you need them accessible for them to see.

There is also the issue of places like sea world and zoos rescuing animals and then housing some that could no longer survive in the wild. Nature is far more harsh and unforgiving than people understand since we have detached ourselves from it.

Animals in the wild go crazy as well.

Having the animals be accessible in zoos and aquariums raises the public’s interest in them. You can debate about what is a good environment to keep them in. Though in the end if you want the public to take an interest in protecting a species and it’s habitat then you need them accessible for them to see.

There is also the issue of places like sea world and zoos rescuing animals and then housing some that could no longer survive in the wild. Nature is far more harsh and unforgiving than people understand since we have detached ourselves from it.

Animals in the wild go crazy as well.

As with many topics, its complicated, there isnt a simple answer or solution.

Advertisement
1692917250071.png

Advertisement
Follow the buzzards, brother.

Bray wasn't the same guy, admittedly, after Brodie Lee died. Also rumored to be dealing with a real health issue for a long time.

He had a lot of hardcore fans. RIP to the man.

Also RIP to a GOAT, the Funker. Could not tell the story of my wrestling fandom without him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back