Goldens Salary

This thread is so fuucked up.
When you hear Golden speak the last 3 years, the last thing that comes to mind is "mercenary."
He's said many times that Miami is a destination job and that he's here for the long haul.
He's basically winning the lottery every year, pulling in a couple million. He, AND HIS FAMILY, love South Florida.
With the recruiting hotbed in Miami, as well as our national pull with recruits when we are winning, means he's creating a 10+ year dynasty ala Saban at Bama.

Again, how can a thread like this even exist?

Advertisement
Not crazy to think he bolts for the NFL or even PSU should O'Brien leave for the NFL. People should be prepared for that. Don't delude yourselves, this is a job, nothing more.

It's a job, but Golden is a man of conviction.

He's not going to lie to all these kids that have come to the U whilst it's under the threat of heavy sanctions by bolting at the first chance of a 'better' job.

He's here to win a National Title. After that, and only after that, then you can think about worrying. Personally I think he's here for as long as he wants to be - don't see him as an NFL guy and the SoFl recruiting hotbed that Miami sits on makes it the best job in college football if you know what you're doing.

I didn't mean to imply that I think he'll leave after this year or next. All I'm saying is it's a decision like any other very high paying job. Three things come into play, money, overall opportunity, and family/lifestyle.

Not crazy to think he bolts for the NFL or even PSU should O'Brien leave for the NFL. People should be prepared for that. Don't delude yourselves, this is a job, nothing more.

It's a job, but Golden is a man of conviction.

He's not going to lie to all these kids that have come to the U whilst it's under the threat of heavy sanctions by bolting at the first chance of a 'better' job.

He's here to win a National Title. After that, and only after that, then you can think about worrying. Personally I think he's here for as long as he wants to be - don't see him as an NFL guy and the SoFl recruiting hotbed that Miami sits on makes it the best job in college football if you know what you're doing.

I didn't mean to imply that I think he'll leave after this year or next. All I'm saying is it's a decision like any other very high paying job. Three things come into play, money, overall opportunity, and family/lifestyle.

Let's start from the bottom of that list:

1. Family/lifestyle. Golden and his wife have both publicly stated that they love So Fla. Al's parents live across the state in Sarasota or Naples, I think. Al's brother was a walk-on for UM back in the Schnelly days.

2. Overall opportunity. We all know that UM has the capacity to be in the hunt for NCs on a regular basis. We all know that UM sits on one the premier recruiting hotbeds in all of CFB. The only "opportunity" that would seem a potential challenge to this environment is if Al has aspirations of being an NFL coach. Not all college coaches do. Al seems to genuinely care for the kids and enjoy being a mentor for these young men as they grow. The NFL is a different animal altogether, one that chews up and spits out coaches even faster than the college game, and one in which coaches don't have the same impact on player's lives.

3. Money. This angle seems to be getting a lot of play. Eveybody's worried that UT (or somebody) is going to step up and offer Golden some astronomical sum of money--and I just don't see it. Should Golden succeed at UM (as in, get us into the national title picture next year or so), the UM admin will reward him handsomely, just as they've done in the past when coaches have won big.

Those points are all good.

1. We have really no idea. His kids are very young.

2. CFB is the JV and the NFL is Varsity. People guess that Al has no designs on the NFL, but that's a guess.

3. Hope you are right, because NFL salaries for a guy like Golden are north of $5M. UM needs to pay up if he keeps winning.

Advertisement
3FW -
Al has stated on more than one occasion that in college you have the opportunity to shape, mentor, etc young men. In the pros you can't do that. That particular reason has made Al say he has no desire to coach in the pros.

Those points are all good.

1. We have really no idea. His kids are very young.

2. CFB is the JV and the NFL is Varsity. People guess that Al has no designs on the NFL, but that's a guess.

3. Hope you are right, because NFL salaries for a guy like Golden are north of $5M. UM needs to pay up if he keeps winning.

I disagree with a lot of this.

1. Yeah, his kids are young. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Again, since he and his wife have both publicly stated they love it in So Fla and they have other family ties in the area, it seems like their words speak for themselves.

2. Not really. They are two totally different animals, as has already been pointed out, and the gap between salaries in the NFL vs. college is lower now than it's ever been.

3. Not really. NFL salaries for a guy like Golden--with no previous NFL experience and no national titles in CFB--are more in the 3-4 million range. Schiano's contract with the Bucs was reportedly 15 mil over 5 years...3 mil/yr. Harbaugh got 5 mil/yr from the '9ers, but was a known commodity within the NFL, as he'd played in the league many years and had been a QB coach with the Raiders for a couple years. Given those two as gauges, Golden would probably be looking at somewhere around the 3.5-4 mil mark. Which I think UM could come close to matching if Golden continues on his upward trajectory. He's already reportedly somewhere between 2 and 2.5, and we haven't even won anything yet.

Last edited:
Advertisement
1. How much does he make now?
2. What does he deserved to be paid? 3. How much will it take for him to stay put (if NFL/Texas) comes calling?
4. Does any coach turn down Texas or NFL?
5. What do we offer him at end of year?

1. 650 million per year
2. 37, 500 with 2 weeks paid vacation and 50 hours sick time
3. 800 million per year
4. potato
5. 1 year extention worth 41, 000

Advertisement
Back