Golden's Post-Game Conference at Kansas State

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Just getting this out of the way now:

On immediate reaction:

"Well, you guys saw the same game I did. We took a punch in the mouth today. Now we have to see how the guys respond. This is a character builder. There have been many teams blown out in the past and they bounce back."

On getting down early:

"Look, it's our second road game to open the season. We have a lot of young guys. It's our job as coaches to have them prepared. Obviously, we came out early and got down. We had a turnover there that hurt us. We were immediately playing from behind. It's tough."

On Stephen Morris:

"I thought Stephen played a nice game and did all the things we asked of him. You can see he was very accurate. What was he like over 70%? He made a lot of good decisions."

On Offensive Line:

"They didn't have their best game today. We allowed some big sacks. We allowed Stephen to get hit more times than we want. They have to be better focused and execute the gameplan. We'll get this thing rectified. Next week is a good opportunity to clean some things up against some speed guys."

On more vertical plays:

"Yes, I think we moved the ball upfield nicely today. It's just a matter of finishing drives. The opportunities are there and we had some explosive plays in the middle of the field today, as you saw. We also missed a few."

On stalling inside the redzone:

"I thought we moved the ball pretty well today. We have to do a better job of punching the ball in when we have the opportunity. We missed a couple of blocks down there on plays that would have gotten us 7. Guys have to stay focused for the entire drive...for 60 minutes."

On the defense in the second half:

"I thought we fought a little. Got placed in the hole a couple times. But, we fought, adjusted. We have to keep fighting."

On Duke's tough game after a big first week:

"Yeah, Duke had a few drops. It happens. He's a young guy. It's not going to be all roses like last week. He'll bounce back. The thing about Duke is that he's mature. We'll count on him."

On defense letting Klein and Kansas State run wild:

"We have to do a better job of wrapping up and making the play when we're in position. We have guys in position, but they have to make the play."

On going forward:

"Look, we're playing a lot of young guys. We have 50+ freshman and sophomores. We're going to keep playing a lot of guys. You're going to be seeing guys coming in and out all the time. They'll have to compete. We have to compete for all 4 quarters. I think we saw guys still playing hard at the end. There are going to be bumps in the road. We all know that."

Advertisement
Bet that's accurate, except for the defense. He's going to get on those guys for quitting and he should.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Archive this, cuz I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot of this again this year. We just don't have the horses to compete at a high level right now. Pretty embarrassing loss and there's no other way to put it.

Golden has to stop the coddling press garbage and man up and call a spade a spade. Awful performance, defence is pitiful, and coaches own it. Say it and move on. Sometimes coaches get too sensitive about throwing players under the bus, but when you have the WORST defence in D1 football you take responsibility as a coach and move on.

I know we have a quality coaching staff from top to bottom. Coach D is a stud - given time he will turn this D around.

Golden has to stop the coddling press garbage and man up and call a spade a spade. Awful performance, defence is pitiful, and coaches own it. Say it and move on. Sometimes coaches get too sensitive about throwing players under the bus, but when you have the WORST defence in D1 football you take responsibility as a coach and move on.

I know we have a quality coaching staff from top to bottom. Coach D is a stud - given time he will turn this D around.

lol wut

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back