Golden's end of the year presser

wacane

Sophomore
Some highlights via twitter

- Told his wife when he took job he wanted to be first long term coach here
- Believes from what he knows the worst is past us in regards to sanctions
-Would like offense to run 72 plays a game. Averaged 61.4 this year
- Zone defense was bc of personel and expects it to change with talent infusion
- There are too many times when you look on the field, we're getting pushed around and we need to get that fixed
-Does not expect any changes with the coaching staff
-Made alot of progress on conditioning. Still have a long way to go
-Not enough depth. Got worn down at the end
-I believe in coach swasey. He's one of the best. We need to change the culture
-Wants a big fast strong team. Cant run out 208 pound linebackers
-Team had alot to overcome at cornerback. But 6 ints is not acceptable
-I think this is the craziest year on record
-6-6 is not good enough. I'm here 18 hours a day
-Spring game is scheduled for april 14th
-Confident ojomo will be back
- "we cant ***** up this recruting class"
- Singled out eddie johnson, gionno paul, corey king & dallas crawford on scout team
- "Thanks guys, gotta go recruit"

I know people are going to be upset about swasey. But a poster on here mentioned they though it was more of a culture problem than swasey himself. Looks like golden thinks thats the case too

Last edited:
Advertisement

- There are too many times when you look on the field, we're getting pushed around and we need to get that fixed
- Singled out eddie johnson, gionno paul, corey king & dallas crawford on scout team

It truly is black Monday...smh

I know people are going to be upset about swasey. But a poster on here mentioned they though it was more of a culture problem than swasey himself. Looks like golden thinks thats the case too

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the case. Some guys want to work and others don't. At the end of the summer I saw a noticeable difference in the size of Ricardo Williams compared to when he came in.

W/r/t coaching changes, I'm not saying he isn't keeping Kehoe around, but if he weren't, I don't think his end of season presser would sound any differently.

Let's see what happens.

Advertisement
I'd like to see Kehoe slide into some sort of office role at the Hecht. I'd love to keep him near and around the program...he's Art f'n Kehoe...but I really think the game has passed him by a bit...he didn't have a great stint at Ole Miss, and then he went to coach the UFL and this season Miami's offensive line really underwhelmed when they have a plethora of highly touted players.

I think the biggest knock on Kehoe is that he has never been a coach with offers outside of Miami and Ed O; even after Miami guys got jobs none hired him (Butch, Tubbs, Richt, Erickson, Cristobal etc) . It is plausible to believe that if he were at the top of the profession, his services would be in demand.

I'd like to see Kehoe slide into some sort of office role at the Hecht. I'd love to keep him near and around the program...he's Art f'n Kehoe...but I really think the game has passed him by a bit...he didn't have a great stint at Ole Miss, and then he went to coach the UFL and this season Miami's offensive line really underwhelmed when they have a plethora of highly touted players.

i agree with this. love the guy but holy ****.

we have one of the biggest OL in the country and a star RB. We should have rushed for 2000 yards and just mauled DLines on run plays. Our pass protection was very good all year but our run blocking was horrible.

That would be me. I specifically mentioned that when the staff has to make a point to make sure guys are eating breakfast, that minimal gains in the weight room can't be blamed on the S&C program. These kids should be eating 6 or 7 times a day, moreso for the freshman, and not crap either. Seantrel specifically mentioned that he cut 40 lbs. just by eliminating fast food! REALLY? the former number one recruit in the nation had that much fast food weight on him?

Advertisement
I think the biggest knock on Kehoe is that he has never been a coach with offers outside of Miami and Ed O; even after Miami guys got jobs none hired him (Butch, Tubbs, Richt, Erickson, Cristobal etc) . It is plausible to believe that if he were at the top of the profession, his services would be in demand.

This is a great point. That being said, I don't really see how the O-line underachieved. The most talented player was out the whole season, our best lineman was playing out of position, Horn disappointed as a leader, Feliciano was a freshman and made freshman mistakes. all in all they did well for the most part, outside of a few plays in short yardage and the USF game. but USF has a great D-Line. They pass blocked well all season. I think Art deserves another season.

"I'd like to see Kehoe slide into some sort of office role at the Hecht. I'd love to keep him near and around the program...he's Art f'n Kehoe...but I really think the game has passed him by a bit...he didn't have a great stint at Ole Miss, and then he went to coach the UFL and this season Miami's offensive line really underwhelmed when they have a plethora of highly touted players."

agree 100% -- very well written and accurately sums up how I feel...

So many people lately have been so disrespectful to Art Kehoe.... that dude is a bigger fan than anyone on this board and has given SOOOOO much more to the U than any of us... it sure seems like his time has past.. but I really want him to still be a part of the program

I wonder if coach Golden isnt going to install a program for Art Kehoe. He should send him to a handful of other universities over the off-season to learn how they handle their O lone coaching.

My biggest concern with the OL going forward is recruiting. How hands-on will Golden be in recruiting OL? Is Kehoe going to be given free reign to bring in any 260 lb. Canadian with dancers' feet to be our starting LT?

Advertisement

i agree with this. love the guy but holy ****.

we have one of the biggest OL in the country and a star RB. We should have rushed for 2000 yards and just mauled DLines on run plays. Our pass protection was very good all year but our run blocking was horrible.

Teams stacked the box and dared Jacory to throw. Miller still ran for 1300 yards.

We need a new QB guys plain and simple. Jacory just wasnt it and teams still felt it was our weakness. We get a QB that isnt afraid to punish teams for stacking the box and we'll be ok.

Another transcription from toe :

"I believe in coach Swasey. I think he is one of the best. I think it's a function of the culture. We're changing that. I felt that way when I got here.
We're vastly improved from where we were last January but we need to get stronger, we need to educate the kids better on dietary and nutrition choices.
Again, you can't go out there with 208 pound linebackers out there and think it is ok. It's not ok. We're playing against teams that have 230, 240, 245 pound linebackers and were going out there with guys that are 208, 212, 216, 218. Can't do it. Can't do it. There's obviously been a shift in philosophy in what I'm looking for. I Want a big, strong powerful team. It's not just all "Hey swasey, get them bigger". There's going to be a shift in what we're looking for. The type of size and strength that we want to be. There has to be a culture here that puts a premium on strength and conditioning and size and being at the appropriate weight"

Interesting. Especially considering there are still idiots who think that strength is not an issue with our team...nor is proper dieting and us being undersized.

Advertisement

I wonder if coach Golden isnt going to install a program for Art Kehoe. He should send him to a handful of other universities over the off-season to learn how they handle their O lone coaching.

First 2 stops, Alabama and Wisconsin. Those are 2 OL that I would love to play like.

You have a lot of "coach speak" there w/r/t the Staff. I can easily see a "Kehoe has decided to pursue other opportunities" down the road. Its not like he is going to just throw that out there until he has a plan in place.

Since continuity is so great for the program we should have kept Shannon right?

The continuity excuse is old and tired. **** outta here with that BS. Michigan did fine this year with all the "continuity" they had.

The dreaded vote of confidence

Advertisement
Back