Golden WQAM Signing Day Interview

CaneBoss

Bossman
Chad fell asleep last night when Golden was texting with him and Golden couldn't get a hold of him. Didn't really sleep all night due to it.

Kid's see an opportunity right now - the "cloud" is over

Class was about need - finally able to meet needs on the front 7 on defense

No question it is a top 10 class

Needed to get older inside - mention two JUCO DT's

Pass rushers - Smith, Harris, Jackson, etc

Young is 240
Owens is 235, 6'3''
McCray 228 right now
Biggest LB group he has ever taken

Walked out of a home in December - first time he realized he didn't discuss the NCAA thing with a family. Felt naked.

Big reception among HS coaches and Jr's.

Biggest Jr day turnout quality and quantity wise.

Day was over by 10am today. Lots of guys early.

Thought they had a chance with a few - won't name names.

Signed 26 - only had room for 1-2 more

Will work thru signing day (i.e. look for more Corn Elders) - Will look for OL

Said Miami lost NO players due to the PSU thing. Communicated with all the kids. Was not a factor.

Said the defense has improved. No longer relying on freshman. Need to get better - win more games. Offense was bad on third down and TOP. Both effect the defense. Will be more aggressive this year. Front 7 is improved. Deeper, faster, more athletic. Majority of playmakers are returning.

Kaaya/Rosier - Position depth now established. Competition will be fierce. Had to hang on for our lives with Kaaya down the stretch. Rosier is a great athlete, will also play baseball. Big hands, strong arm.

Country has gotten smaller due to technology. Kids can fly around easier and cheaper now. Miami takes care of the backyard first and then goes out of state.

Celebrity recruits
- Want to know what makes the kid tick. Not every 4-5 star goes to the NFL. Have to do your homework - does the kid love football, work ethic, does the team win, etc.

Most ready to play - defensive lineman. Chad, Moten, 3 Nose tackles, Yearby. Try not to have preconceived notions. Want to teach them football and get them in great condition.

Duke Johnson is doing great. ESPN is doing a piece on him. Will come out today or tonight. No cast, no boot, walking around in sneakers. Starting to jog and run.

Advertisement
two things...didn't realize it but kaaya was really torn with boise..wonder why. probably proximity to home. Moten..guy looks like a man. can he play like that right away?

Really hoping Moten doesn't HAVE to play until his R-Soph year, if you get my drift.

Advertisement
Said the defense has improved. No longer relying on freshman.

Am I missing someone?

Aside from Burns used sparingly near the end of the season, and AQM on 3rd downs, what freshmen played significant time, let alone were relied on?

Advertisement
Said the defense has improved. No longer relying on freshman. Need to get better - win more games. Offense was bad on third down and TOP. Both effect the defense. Will be more aggressive this year. Front 7 is improved. Deeper, faster, more athletic. Majority of playmakers are returning.
At least Golden mentioned this. I've said it for a while. As turrible as we were Defensively, our Offense didn't do them any favors as far as controlling the ball and sustaining drives like good Pro-style Offenses should.

two things...didn't realize it but kaaya was really torn with boise..wonder why. probably proximity to home. Moten..guy looks like a man. can he play like that right away?

Got a feeling Al was more concerned about UCLA than Boise.

Proud for how Golden pulled in what he did, upset obviously on how we missed out on some. But many of you have to realize that some kids may just not want to stay at home and play at Miami.

Advertisement
Corn played a bunch throughout. Carter and grace played towards the end. And im sure he was referencing back to bush tracy kirby mccord etc all playing as frosh.

Am I missing someone?

Aside from Burns used sparingly near the end of the season, and AQM on 3rd downs, what freshmen played significant time, let alone were relied on?

At least Golden mentioned this. I've said it for a while. As turrible as we were Defensively, our Offense didn't do them any favors as far as controlling the ball and sustaining drives like good Pro-style Offenses should.

Morris loved them 3 and outs.

LOL at blaming the offense for TWO CONSECUTIVE YEARS OF THE WORST DEFENSE IN UM HISTORY.

You can't make this stuff up.

If you honestly believe what this guy shovels................WOW......................I pray for our fanbase. WOW.......

Advertisement
Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 52m
I've honestly never encountered a head coach who is as smooth as Al Golden with his words. He's the ultimate used car salesman.

I hate this MF'er, but I lol'd at the bolded.

Am I missing someone?

My bad - pretty sure he was referencing where they came from two years ago. Saying how those guys are now all grown up and they are no longer in a position where 10+ freshman need to play a lot

Advertisement
Back