Golden vs. Shannon

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
I'm sure Golden isn't Randy Shannon, but wasn't Randy's first recruiting class ranked #1 in the country? Don't we need to see what Golden does in years 2,3 and beyond to really assess his recruiting? And didn't Randy prove that player development is at least as important as recruiting?

Advertisement
Considering the crap he was left with last off season and the possible NCAA sanctions this off season, I think it's tough not to give a ton of credit to what Golden is doing.

This Golden's Second Class

I wouldn't say 100% that this is Golden's second class. Last year's class was more of a scramble to salvage what was left of Shannon's class. I think Miami only less than 10 commits with Shannon got fired. So during that time perhaps Golden was in search of bodies to fill out the roster vs. having real time to evaluate players full.

This year is more of a 100% Golden class, in that time has been put into fully eyeball and evaluate players. Got to give Golden credit for the work him, his staff and hist recruits have put in with this class. I am anxious to see how these players develop over their careers.

Advertisement
I remember in 2008 everybody was crowning Randy for locking down all the best local recruits (I think Patrick Johnson was the only guy we missed), getting back to Schnelly and JJ style recruiting.

I'm sure Golden isn't Randy Shannon, but wasn't Randy's first recruiting class ranked #1 in the country? Don't we need to see what Golden does in years 2,3 and beyond to really assess his recruiting? And didn't Randy prove that player development is at least as important as recruiting?

ABOLUTELY! I was a huge Randy fan, and because of his obvious orange and green colored blood, I was all in with the guy. But Randy let us down in the player development part. The carousel of coordinators was the real problem I think. There are a lot of coaches that make it to "Big Name" status when they take their first HC job without prior experience, but STABILITY will be the backbone of any first time HC regardless of experience and if AL is able to keep his assistants, namely Fisch from bolting at the first sign of success, I believe this will be a rather quick turnaround.

I remember in 2008 everybody was crowning Randy for locking down all the best local recruits (I think Patrick Johnson was the only guy we missed), getting back to Schnelly and JJ style recruiting.

Except most of the idiots who put blind faith in Shannon had nothing to go on but hope.

Again, Al's track record and experience gives us reason to understand this is not a fluke.

There is every reason to be positive and toss the skepticism.

Except most of the idiots who put blind faith in Shannon had nothing to go on but hope.

Again, Al's track record and experience gives us reason to understand this is not a fluke.

There is every reason to be positive and toss the skepticism.

Hope and frustration from Coker

Advertisement

it's the day before NSD, let us have our fap for now.

I'll admit that Shannon did a great job in 2008 in stealing away guys like Holton from FSU, Buchanan from UF, and Brown from everyone. It was impressive on paper. Every coach has the first year bump when its easy to sell your pitch to kids while you have a clean slate. The difference between Golden and Shannon is that we can expect sustained success with Golden's summer camps and the relationships he's building/mending with local coaches. We don't have to worry about our head coach ****ing off guys at Plant, Central, North Miami Beach, etc.

Golden > Shannon

We can already see that. Had Corch been here last year with the suspensions and what not.........we'd have won 3 games

J12 was a highly recruited player but swam in the deep abyss under Shannon but the same highly recruited player swam the warm waters of South Florida last year....... Enough said.......

Advertisement
While any meaningful attempt to compare Corch to Golden is kind of a waste of time, I will say that coach Golden is going to face some serious head winds in his 2013 efforts. I think Randy faced the same thing in 09. When you go around landing kids with the lure of early playing time, you end up with a roster full of young contributors. Next year, coach Golden will not be able to offer much in the way of early PT. He will have to compete with other programs that are stacked AND WINNING. That's where Randy fell short as well.

While winning does cure all, Golden can sell "the best player will play" angle. All jobs are an open competition and if you want to play you come here an win a spot. RS talked about that but didn't practice it, hopefully AG practices what he preaches.

While any meaningful attempt to compare Corch to Golden is kind of a waste of time, I will say that coach Golden is going to face some serious head winds in his 2013 efforts. I think Randy faced the same thing in 09. When you go around landing kids with the lure of early playing time, you end up with a roster full of young contributors. Next year, coach Golden will not be able to offer much in the way of early PT. He will have to compete with other programs that are stacked AND WINNING. That's where Randy fell short as well.

And yet the star rating average was higher for 2009 than 2008. Just way too many misses and too much unbalanced recruiting.

Advertisement

And yet the star rating average was higher for 2009 than 2008. Just way too many misses and too much unbalanced recruiting.

At the time I felt the 2009 class would have more impact guys.

While winning does cure all, Golden can sell "the best player will play" angle. All jobs are an open competition and if you want to play you come here an win a spot. RS talked about that but didn't practice it, hopefully AG practices what he preaches.

Every coach tries to sell "the best player will play." But these kids aren't stupid. Look at our depth chart right now compared to FSU and UF (maybe UF is a bad example) for example. Our team basically consists of a few good rising sophomores, plus Randy Shannon's scrubs that weren't good enough to declare for the draft and leave early. Every single one of Shannon's players that could have left are now gone. We have unproven players at the skill positions. We have hot garbage in the secondary. We have Perryman at LB and Chick at DE. Other than a couple of spots on the offensive line, everything is up for grabs. These kids realize that they have an excellent chance of coming to UM and not just playing, but in a lot of cases starting, from day 1. It was the exact same situation in 2008. Speaking objectively and not as a Canes fan, if I'm a top recruit, I go to UM this year. It's kind of a no brainer. Next year is a completely different story.

If Golden is able to bring in a very strong class next year I will be impressed.

Last edited:

Every coach tries to sell "the best player will play." But these kids aren't stupid. Look at our depth chart right now compared to FSU and UF (maybe UF is a bad example) for example. Our team basically consists of a few good rising sophomores, plus Randy Shannon's scrubs that weren't good enough to declare for the draft and leave early. Every single one of Shannon's players that could have left are now gone. We have unproven players at the skill positions. We have hot garbage in the secondary. We have Perryman at LB and Chick at DE. Other than a couple of spots on the offensive line, everything is up for grabs. These kids realize that they have an excellent chance of coming to UM and not just playing, but in a lot of cases starting, from day 1. It was the exact same situation in 2008. Speaking objectively and not as a Canes fan, if I'm a top recruit, I go to UM this year. It's kind of a no brainer. Next year is a completely different story.

If Golden is able to bring in a very strong class next year I will be impressed.

Get ready.

In 2013 he's got 4-star WR Jayron Kearse 6'5" 205, 4.4---RB Alex Colins 5'11 195, 4.45---DT Keith Bryant 6'2" 290, 5.0---and WR Kermit Whitfield 5'8" 165, 4.35---all of them should be 3-star and up on talent alone. Next year maybe a small class, depending on sanctions, so there will be an all-out effort to get high-quality players, not quantity. And 2013 is loaded.

All he's got to keep this a South Florida thing, make MIAMI South Florida's team, and he's doing it. Worked for Howard and for Jimmy. Alonzo Highsmith said AG is a cross between the two. Scrimmages in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. Improved relationships with coaches. Round the clock work ethic. The camps. Getting high quality recruits on campus. Constant communication with parents, recruits, and commits.

He is going to get talent in South Florida.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back