Golden in New Jersey today

Uggghh...why NJ?? and not hit Louisiana more, I know AQM is great but there is nothing special about Jersey talent as a whole

Uh, what?
Have you looked at the rosters of many ACC and Big10 teams? Lots of Jersey kids there and even schools like USC, UCLA and
Stanford recruit the state.
Lots of talent in that state plus kids are willing to leave the area.
You must not follow recruiting very closely.

And Louisiana kids go to LSU

Advertisement
Uggghh...why NJ?? and not hit Louisiana more, I know AQM is great but there is nothing special about Jersey talent as a whole

Uh, what?
Have you looked at the rosters of many ACC and Big10 teams? Lots of Jersey kids there and even schools like USC, UCLA and

That's a strong point.
The elite Louisiana kids stay loyal to their state, the rare exceptions don't stray
far and end up at Alabama or somewhere Ole ****, which are buying players these
days.
It doesn't hurt to go after the kids spurned by LSU, many of them can play at UM, but, again,
they tend to stick to SEC programs.
This is not the 1990s where we had Curtis Johnson and LSU was not very strong until Saban
showed up.

New Jersey has some decent talent. But what's most important is that Joisey kids generally do not have any allegiance to their home state. Schiano talked at length about this when he was at Rutgers. That was his primary pitch to the local kids; Stay home and rep your state.

I think its easy to pull kids from Joisey when the strongest in-state program is Rutgers.

Advertisement

there is talent in NJ, not to mention that is golden's 'home turf'. we have a much better shot at flipping elite guys in NJ than LA this late in the game anyways.

There is not a real big time powerhouse in NJ so it's relatively easy to pull kids out of there

I can hear Mrs Golden, "Al, honey. We are all outta Kiy. Can you please bring some back while you are up in Jersey?"

Golden putting in work, as expected.

Advertisement
New Jersey has some decent talent. But what's most important is that Joisey kids generally do not have any allegiance to their home state. Schiano talked at length about this when he was at Rutgers. That was his primary pitch to the local kids; Stay home and rep your state.

I think its easy to pull kids from Joisey when the strongest in-state program is Rutgers.

Happens to be a fact.

It doesn't matter how deep the talent is in New Jersey. Golden is not trying to live off of NJ talent, he's trying to cherrypick a couple of kids here and there. Most states produce at least a handful of elite players.

Played college lax with a bunch of kids from Jersey, crazy ******* humans

Uh, what?

That's a strong point.
The elite Louisiana kids stay loyal to their state, the rare exceptions don't stray
days.
It doesn't hurt to go after the kids spurned by LSU, many of them can play at UM, but, again,
This is not the 1990s where we had Curtis Johnson and LSU was not very strong until Saban
showed up.

Yep. We've been burned enough trying to recruit top flight Louisiana kids going back to the Curtis Johnson days. Really tough to compete for the top LA kids and if you don't ahve a guy who really knows the area like CuJo did, it's almost futile to recruit there.

Advertisement

Uh, what?

That's a strong point.
days.
showed up.

Yep. We've been burned enough trying to recruit top flight Louisiana kids going back to the Curtis Johnson days. Really tough to compete for the top LA kids and if you don't ahve a guy who really knows the area like CuJo did, it's almost futile to recruit there.

Plus, unlike SEC recruiters we can't drive up there with promises of bags of unmarked C notes.
We are, and will be out of necessity, the cleanest program in the history of college football.

Unless I win the Mega Millions tonight.

Total agreement. There really is no allegiance at all to Rutgers growing up. I'm 26 now (from NJ), and when I was a kid they were awful to the point where no one was a Rutgers fan. Now you see the block R's on cars all over and everything, but it wasn't until I was 18/19 that they were anything other than miserable. While the kids in HS now grew up with them being at the very least noticeable, their parents more likely than not had other allegiances. Just thinking about my block growing up, my friends were fans of Miami, Nebraska, Alabama, Oregon, Penn State, and Notre Dame. NJ kids basically all start out as front runners until they settle on a team.

Other, more interesting cases are when the parents and kids have no allegiances whatsoever because college FB is so far and away secondary to pro in NJ. Those kids legitimately pick the best situations for themselves. Just look at the draft class from 2009. NJ had SEVEN first round picks that year, with just one from Rutgers. The rest were USC, Ohio State, Virginia, Boston College, UConn, and Georgia. They go where they are going to make it on the field.

And the weather up there sux balls for 8 months a year...

Advertisement

Uh, what?

By contrast, very few get out of Louisiana that LSU wants, so there is far less return on investment. Virtually all the NJ studs head out of state. Makes perfect sense for Golden to capitalize on his connnections there.

As others have already said. There is a LOT of talent in Jersey. Its a big state with a big population. Its also one of the biggest states that doesnt really have a major college football team. Yes Rutgers has made some waves in the last few years when Schiano was there, but its not a major football power. The program that has really made a killing in Jersey has always been Penn State. The NorthEast as a whole is devoid of any major football powers, but in terms of the culture of the states, Jersey is the state where Football is taken the most seriously. And because of that, there IS a lot of talent in that state, and its usually up for grabs, as there isnt a dominant state program to keep them home. Weve done decently over the years grabbing kids out of Jersey, and I think its a great idea for Golden to hit it hard, the U has had a strong following up there for a long time.

As for Louisiana, that's a lost cause. Like Alabama, there is a huge, dominant state program that can lock down most of the kids they want. WORSE though, is that LSu and Bama are two of the dirtiest programs in the nation. The entire state is complicit in what goes on w/r/t the football teams at those schools, so players can be bought, paid off, get favors, family taken care of, ghost jobs, all kinds of perks, and NO ONE is going to blow the whistle, because the whole state rallies around the program. So when there is a kid they really want to keep home, they just do whatever they have to do to keep them. Miami CANNOT do that. It never has. Yes Im sure we have played dirty in the past in order to compete at some level, but Um has never had the alumni base, nor local support to pull that off. **** there are more UF, FSU and FIU grads in Miami than there are UM grads. So having the community rallying around and protecting the team, is something that just doesnt happen in South Florida.

As I have said 1000 times on these boards, people dont realize just how REMARKABLE it is that UM still competes at this level. UM's size and demographics are more on par with Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice and schools like that, then they are with FSU, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, Michigan, etc.

Advertisement
Back