Golden going at blake

Advertisement
I don't think the field thing is going to be considered "gross negligence". The field didn't have potholes and landmines. Guys get hurt playing football.

That's not entirely true.
Yeah, Shapiro had been busted before Golden took the job, but there wasn't really a connection established between his crimes and his role as a UM booster until that Yahoo expose.....as a matter of fact, in the days leading up to that expose, alot of UM fans were giddy thinking it was about fsu or if getting busted so, yeah, UM was not honest with Golden...no surprise as the school has the ethics of carnival gypsies.

You're off-base.

Here's an article in Sporting News in August of 2010 referencing the Herald piece from a few days before. (I can't find the actual herald piece, but whatever...)

"A former Miami football booster charged with running a Ponzi scheme claims the Hurricanes' program is guilty of major NCAA violations involving at least 100 former players over the past decade.

Nevin Shapiro told The Miami Herald he has put his allegations into a "tell-all" book titled "The Real U: 2001 to 2010. Inside the Eye of the Hurricane". He said he will provide details once the work is published."

So in my 30 years of being a very prominent business attorney I would love to have this case. If the accusations are true, Golden, for all purposes, could sink the university. Donna is known for being a crook in the legal world, she ranks up there with the clintons.
I would advise Golden to seek financial recovery but also file a civil case to bring the feds for a federal investigation into money laundering private donation funds.

Advertisement
I think this is more of a poor reflection on the school than the AD who is nothing more than a useless figurehead. I mean, haven't we had several coaches sue this school over the years? Not a good look.

I'm surprised that you hadn't already reported the dangerous practice fields to both OSHA and the NCAA.

Whatever it takes to get James fired I am all for. This would be great if it happened.
Scary thought Blake does get fired , and they give the job to Strawely ..... UM is a highly political operation that thrives
on internal promotions nepotism if you will..... need new blood bad......

Advertisement
Advertisement
“He’s done a great job of fundraising, won awards for athletic directors,” the trustee said. “Our student graduation rate is one of the highest in the country.”

That trustee said school president Julio Frenk “supports Blake. [Former president] Donna Shalala would fire an athletic director she wasn’t happy with, but Julio would leave it to the board. He’s not a sports enthusiast like Donna was.”

Let's break this down.

Fundraising? Great? We had to do a GoFundMe and multiple rounds of begging to fund the IPF, which any alum/booster could have told you was the TOP priority. So why all the struggles? What else have we raised funds for? A new football stadium? Nope. Buying out Willie Taggart? Nope. To use the word "great" would suggest he exceeded goals/expectations, but if you are doing just enough to keep the lights on, why call it "great"?

As for increases in HC contributions, let's think about this. Hard Rock Stadium has decreased seating capacity and parking capacity, while converting several areas of the stadium to "club access". And none of these upgrades are on Miami's dime. So the ability to command more from the HC membership on the football side is NOT due to anything that Blake has dome.

Won awards? Allow me to cut-and-paste from Blake's bio: "This year he was one of five nominees for the 2019 SportsBusiness Journal Athletic Director of the Year. In 2017, James was selected as one of four Division I recipients of the 2016-17 Under Armour Athletic Director of the Year award from the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA)." So, he was NOMINATED for one award and was one of FOUR recipients for another award (no idea what the criteria were).

Student graduation rate? Come on, I have previously documented that Jimmy Johnson created our academic support program (as we currently know it) and it has been incredibly successful since the 1980s. Blake has nothing to do with this metric and has not INCREASED our success in this area in any measurable fashion.

As for what I have said about Shalala for quite some time, she loved and supported athletics, even if we did not attain the results we wanted. You can criticize her for favoring "on the rise" coaches like Coker/Shannon/Golden, but you can't say that she is responsible for our decline. The City of Miami destroyed the Orange Bowl, not UM or Shalala. And Frenk cares EVEN LESS than Foote did, if that is humanly possible.

Wake up, people.

The previous commercial was paid for by the
  • COMMITTEE FOR THE PRESERVATION OF MEDIOCRITY,
  • The B. JAMES FAMILY FOUNDATION
  • The ACC COASTAL DIVISION members
  • NCAA's "KEEP MIAMI A LAUGHING STOCK DIVISION"

Don't try to confuse us with facts...we're on a mission from GAWD ....LOL

Last edited:
You're off-base.

Here's an article in Sporting News in August of 2010 referencing the Herald piece from a few days before. (I can't find the actual herald piece, but whatever...)

"A former Miami football booster charged with running a Ponzi scheme claims the Hurricanes' program is guilty of major NCAA violations involving at least 100 former players over the past decade.

Nevin Shapiro told The Miami Herald he has put his allegations into a "tell-all" book titled "The Real U: 2001 to 2010. Inside the Eye of the Hurricane". He said he will provide details once the work is published."

Yeah, I remember this and no one in the media seemed to follow up until the following year....it was written off as another wannabe Cane booster poser, at least publicly....the local soFla media were caught with their collective pants down when this blew up in August 2011....if they didn't know how would you expect Golden and his people to know.

golden sued the U saying that they were paying him the wrong severance amount (which is paid monthly). golden says he is owed $6MM in severance. the U says he is owed $2MM in severance. there seems to be an ambiguity in the contract, which will be resolved by a jury.

golden believes that his agent might have screwed up the language and according to at least one letter I saw, he ain't none to happy with him.

i downloaded the documents, including james', shalala's and folden's depositions. fun reading.

Advertisement
Imagine working under a guy like Flake. Thinking he's going back on his word and lying to you but the reality is that he actually never had the power to give you his word in the first place.

This completely confirms that he's nothing more than just a puppet. The longer we keep this sycophant, two-faced puppet around misleading his own coaching staff and dancing to whatever tune the administration wants him to, the longer we'll continue to be a complete disaster of a program.

WE ARE NOT A REAL PROGRAM PEOPLE.

Blake had the chance to offload Golden after 2013 and didn't do it. Can this guy be any more incompetent. Half the fan base knew Golden was a failure even after the 9-3 record. All the signs were there and the beat down at the hands of UL simply solidified it.

So he had a chance to get rid of a ****** coach and the contract that came with it and he didn't take it.

Please fire blake James. I don't think I've ever seen anyone so incompetent at their job.

What did he say guys, I cant see it

It is a lot but cliff notes:

1. Golden wrote an email saying he wanted severance money, that he has a bunch of additional claims but has decided to take the high road but wants what was promised to him by Blake James and Shalala

2. Golden wanted Nebraska off the schedule, and specifically requested scheduling help and that UM could not handle that schedule due to him being hired on Dec 10, 2010 and the recruiting class had 2 commitments, 0 OV scheduled, and NCAA investigation. He was told he was promised Nebraska and K-State would be off the schedule and that Tony, Blake and Strawley were responsible for finding replacements and someone behind the scenes "killed the deal" and he never knew about it until the schedules came out and he saw Nebraska.

3. In Dec, 2013 after the 9-3 season Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez contacted Blake to talk to Golden about the HC job. Blake told Golden Alvarez called, asked if Golden was interested and Golden said "How can I not be" and rambled about being George Bailey in its a wonderful life and wanted more severance pay to protect his family. Wisconsin offered Golden a 5-year 16 million dollar contract, and Golden told Blake that he would have 85 scholarships, no NCAA investigation, home stadium on campus. Later that same day James walked into Golden with a 1-page revised severance deal. Golden thought this was fair and he knew he was going into his most tumultuous seasons at UM.

4. Alludes that UM is now saying that severance offer was ambiguous. But that Blake went to Shalala office and they called him on speaker to say severance was approved, his family was protected, Shalala was going to ask Nebraska to move its game back or buy them out for 1 million. Says that is the second time he was promised Nebraska would be moved (first was after JoePa was fired from Penn St. in 2011) Says UM sends his wife checks for $0.24 and its cruel and unusual. His wife/fam live in NJ, he lives in Detroit. Basically he turned down a 16 mil. contract from Wisconsin for a 2 mil severance payment.

5. Um HR is sensitive and Golden wants to dig into why. Says never offered an HR Case Manager, not notified about insurance being terminated, not given any notice. Golden made decisions for his family off making 2 mil in 2016 and not $480,000 (I am guessing his coordinator salary) Wasnt until July 2016 that James called his attorney and said they only owe him 2 million which made a 4 million dollar gap.

6. Golden talks about Fair Market Value of other p5 coaches who were fired and says "no one, I mean no one, got screwed like my family and I did. They should pay heavily for this buill****" He worked 25 years to be HC at a place like Miami and was lied to before (ncaa investigation) during (scheduling of Nebraska and Kstate) and after (buyout/severance) and wasted 7 years of his life in his prime.

7. He believed his contract allowed his coordinators (coley and NoD) additional 2 years on their contracts, states UM went behind his back and only offered 1 year without his knowledge. and says it cheated his coordinators out of 1.3 million when they stuck with UM through the NCAA scandal. Golden also called his coordinators "excellent"

8. Claims he should have sued Blake for libel/false misrepresentation when Blake ordered the press to release a false quote attributed to Golden. Alludes it was taken out of context and he didn't have opportunity to clarify which hurt him professionally. Thought after Clemson team would go undefeated, went 5-1 in division, said they had a sophomore/young team and starting out 3/5 of the first games on the road was ridiculous and he decided to stay through 14-15 penalty seasons because with Nebraska off the schedule he believed UM could turn a corner.

9. he did not encourage Ryan Williams to sue UM for gross negligence and career ending injury suffered in 2014. Said the fields at UM were a danger all the way back to 2012. UM tried 3 times 3 consecutive years to fix field but always took cheap option. Said Williams getting hurt also impacted the makeup of the entire team. 4 days after injury field was finally torn up and replaced by turf. Says Herb Waters, Erik Flowers and Devon Johnson also suffered injuries related to the field.

10. UM lied to him and did not disclose they were under investigation and clearly hid that during his pre contract negotiations.

11. Blake told him FAU game in 2015 would be home game to give them 7 home games. Offered to buy them out if they wouldnt move to sunlife, then Golden was blindsided when schedule came out @FAU.

12. Alludes to what his investment portfolio would be like if he got his severance pay in one of the "bullish markets in histroy"

13. Concludes with looking at other angles and using all the above as leverage, "if UM doesnt want to pay severance, the lawsuit will be much more than a severance case" Appears it may have been an email to his attorney??

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back