Going against the grain

I get the sarcasm... but, yeah. This is a physical *** sport. We need to be more mentally & physically tough. This thing is moving at too slow of a pace though. I don't know what happens if in year 3 we see the same 6-6 type of team. Miami probably doesn't know. The only thing I do know is that no one... and I mean no one wants to be the guy that fixes it more than Mario. No one is working harder than Mario. No one.
Can I please throw out the work smarter not harder cliche here.
Mario recruit and be the face CEO type
Somebody else please analyze & coach

Advertisement
Sometimes the answer is working harder. I think that's what this team needs. That's kind of how UGA is built, that's what Mario wants and our locker room has to accept it. No one is gonna save you, you just have to work to get bigger stronger faster.

I can understand not having the players but why does it always feel like he gets out coached continuously.

This has been our fate for last 6 regimes here.

At this point playing dumb, accumulating absurd amounts of penalty yards pg ( whether warranted or not ), not maximizing players skillsets, and worst of all flat out getting exposed by opposing coaches is just standard issue for this U.
BDC3DCE3-C58F-45B5-A099-7623FB0BBC7B.jpeg

Well, judging by what we're seeing in bowl games, talent is 80% of the formula. Maybe because Mario is so bad as a game day coach he gets an additional handicap. But he's still the better option for Miami. Keep bringing in Top 10 classes and we don't get gashed like we did vs. Buttgers when a handful of starters opt out of a bowl game, because the next man up is good enough.
Well, judging by what we're seeing in bowl games, talent is 80% of the formula. Maybe because Mario is so bad as a game day coach he gets an additional handicap. But he's still the better option for Miami. Keep bringing in Top 10 classes and we don't get gashed like we did vs. Buttgers when a handful of starters opt out of a bowl game, because the next man up is good enough.
I think talent is marginalized by bad coaching. We have highly ranked recruits but we don’t develop players so ultimately our classes are overrated.

I get the sarcasm... but, yeah. This is a physical *** sport. We need to be more mentally & physically tough. This thing is moving at too slow of a pace though. I don't know what happens if in year 3 we see the same 6-6 type of team. Miami probably doesn't know. The only thing I do know is that no one... and I mean no one wants to be the guy that fixes it more than Mario. No one is working harder than Mario. No one.
I don’t care how badly he wants to fix it if he’s not equipped to do it…he’s stubborn and surrounded by like minded people with a contract that enables him to have little to no accountability.
Focusing on physicality at the expense of actual schematic improvements is not a net positive or gain, and thats his problem…well one of them

Advertisement
More bro ball. Exactly what we need. Put 5 blocking TEs on the field next year

Just curious how everyone feels about Michigan's offense. To me this is what Mario is inspiring for. I would not exactly call it Bro ball, but it is pretty darn close. They want to out physical the other team and throw in a few wrinkles. They throw in just enough wrinkles to keep the defense on their toes, but by and large they are trying to run it down the opponents throat. In one game this year they did not throw the ball once in the second half. Yes, that is correct. To do that you need an elite OL and some elite RB's. They have that and Mario is trying to get that. One thing they do is use their TE's. Dawson does not do that enough. If Mario can emulate that offense than we would win a lot.

I don’t care how badly he wants to fix it if he’s not equipped to do it…he’s stubborn and surrounded by like minded people with a contract that enables him to have little to no accountability.
Focusing on physicality at the expense of actual schematic improvements is not a net positive or gain, and thats his problem…well one of them
I only know of a couple that actually coach the sport, that thinks he's not equipped. Most of what I have heard about him is that he is very much equipped for this. So far, the results have been very meh.

Last edited:
I am stereotyping, but if you know Cuban men Mario's age, self-awareness and innovation are not usually the answers. They tend to be stubborn and tend to think every problem can be solved with more discipline and more work. Those are good qualities but not always the answer either.

Advertisement
You lost me at the staff reacting to this by essentially just doubling down on needing to be fizikal lol. Like yes, obviously a football team needs to be physical. But you also have to out scheme opponents and put your players in the best position to succeed. Not for example, just allowing the opponent to stack the box all game and continually run your RBs right into it.

Just curious how everyone feels about Michigan's offense. To me this is what Mario is inspiring for. I would not exactly call it Bro ball, but it is pretty darn close. They want to out physical the other team and throw in a few wrinkles. They throw in just enough wrinkles to keep the defense on their toes, but by and large they are trying to run it down the opponents throat. In one game this year they did not throw the ball once in the second half. Yes, that is correct. To do that you need an elite OL and some elite RB's. They have that and Mario is trying to get that. One thing they do is use their TE's. Dawson does not do that enough. If Mario can emulate that offense than we would win a lot.
This is not the offense we should aspire to be. That is a midwestern football team and that is the correct style for their region and it does work when you have the right pieces, but you have to have a bunch of guys with the blue collar, bring the lunch pail out to the field type of mentality. That works for them because that's the region they recruit. Its not a sustainable blueprint for us, nor should we be trying to be that.

We are Miami, and while we definitely need to be physical, we shouldn't be aspiring to be a tough, 3 yards and a cloud of dust mid western type team. Our recruiting base is loaded, year after year with skill position guys. When we were at our best we were obviously physical (that goes without saying for a successful football program) but we were explosive and had SPEED. That is OUR base. We are not Michigan, we are MIAMI. And while I am all for getting the trenches right and becoming a more tough team, physically and mentally, and being able to run the football, we need to be EXPLOSIVE. That is what made us successful in the past, and while you cant follow the exact same blueprint decade after decade, that is in our DNA.

We will never get back on top playing bully ball, it just wont happen. Mario should understand this, whether he does remains to be seen.

This is not the offense we should aspire to be. That is a midwestern football team and that is the correct style for their region and it does work when you have the right pieces, but you have to have a bunch of guys with the blue collar, bring the lunch pail out to the field type of mentality. That works for them because that's the region they recruit. Its not a sustainable blueprint for us, nor should we be trying to be that.

We are Miami, and while we definitely need to be physical, we shouldn't be aspiring to be a tough, 3 yards and a cloud of dust mid western type team. Our recruiting base is loaded, year after year with skill position guys. When we were at our best we were obviously physical (that goes without saying for a successful football program) but we were explosive and had SPEED. That is OUR base. We are not Michigan, we are MIAMI. And while I am all for getting the trenches right and becoming a more tough team, physically and mentally, and being able to run the football, we need to be EXPLOSIVE. That is what made us successful in the past, and while you cant follow the exact same blueprint decade after decade, that is in our DNA.

We will never get back on top playing bully ball, it just wont happen. Mario should understand this, whether he does remains to be seen.
Fully agree. Hopefully Mario learned this from the Rutgers game.

Advertisement
The end of year 2 and we are already at the phase of this guy sucks but maybe he can be the CEO.

Of misery incorporated maybe.

Michigan runs power but they generally aren’t lining up and trying to manhandle the guy in front of them blocking straight up. They are using jet motion, traps, counters and ton of misdirection in classic power run schemes to get leverage on defenses.

There is a good Oregon blog that looked at Mario’s “power” scheme while he was there and determined he got less YPC with his brand of physicality than the prior “finesse” regimes. I doubt he will learn from any of this tho.

this is really a must read and damning IMO

Advertisement
Larry Coker was crucified here and labeled one of our worst coaches ever. Despite all that he took a team to the championship and won a national championship. No one can argue that he did that with probably the best team ever. Why can’t Mario build a team and do the same? In 2000 Coker was the OC the brawl and shalala castrated the program under Coker’s watch. Mario has a plan of what he believes through recruiting etc can win And despite any short comings he also has to contend with NIL the portal and high school prima Donna’s.
You realize building that team was literally one in a million?
Multiple NFL HoF and GOAT at S

Advertisement
Back