GOAT RB - Vilma tweet

Advertisement
Actually this thread demonstrates that there is widespread disagreement among avid football observers. I think that was the original point.

There's disagreement over who is the best RB of all time. There's little disagreement (just you) that Walter was hands down a better RB than Allen (both as a "pure" runner and as a complete RB).

There's disagreement over who is the best RB of all time. There's little disagreement (just you) that Walter was hands down a better RB than Allen (both as a "pure" runner and as a complete RB).

My bad. Didn't realize I was the only one on the planet. That, of course, must make the others right....

I'm done with this now.

As much as I love Gore, that stat is absurdly inflated. He was mostly playing the second half, after the D was worn down by the spectacular Portis and McGahee combo, behind an all-time college OL. The opposing teams had by and large given up by the time Gore touched the ball.
When Gore came in as a Freshman (pre-injuries) it was something truly special to watch and his ypc were significantly higher than those of Portis & McGahee (and both of them were absolutely awesome RBs for us). Even after the injuries, Gore will likely end up in the Top 3 in the NFL for yards gained by a RB. There's no denying he was an absolutely amazing talent (and is still very productive). He should be considered as one of the greatest RBs of all time (the numbers absolutely support that already).

Advertisement
I am definitely not saying it's not impressive. It's just a bit of a statistical aberration that would regress to the mean before long. Which it did, as he averaged 5.7 YPC over his college career, which is still **** good injuries notwithstanding. It's excellent when you consider the knees. He's at a 4.6 YPC in the NFL, which is very good, but not elite.

That said, it's hard for me to say ANYTHING negative about Gore. He is a remarkable human being.
I was very interested to learn that Emmitt Smith had a career average of 4.4 ypc

I was very interested to learn that Emmitt Smith had a career average of 4.4 ypc

Not sure where you're getting 4.4ypc. He had 18,355 rushing yards on 4,409 attempts, yielding a yards per carry of a rather pedestrian 4.16.

This combined with the otherworldly OL he had for the majority of his career are my primary reasons for starting this thread. He ran forever on many very good teams, and has the most carries in history. Yes, he should be the all-time leader in rushing yards and TD's. But his stats on average are not that great.

Not sure where you're getting 4.4ypc. He had 18,355 rushing yards on 4,409 attempts, yielding a yards per carry of a rather pedestrian 4.16.

This combined with the otherworldly OL he had for the majority of his career are my primary reasons for starting this thread. He ran forever on many very good teams, and has the most carries in history. Yes, he should be the all-time leader in rushing yards and TD's. But his stats on average are not that great.
You're right it was listed as 4.2 ypc. The 4.4 was another player. I just confused the two. My point in bringing that up in the first place was just to underscore just how shockingly pedestrian his ypc was. Even more pedestrian in the context of comparing Emmitt Smith to the greatest backs in history.

Advertisement
Sanders
Payton
****erson
Bo Jackson if wasn’t injured may have been better than all of them.
Emmit is not in my top 5 but, I will say not sure if it was the playoffs or to get in. I think against the Giants he dislocated his shoulder and stayed in the game and ran for some tough yards. He may not be the best back but he earned my respect that day.

Not really trying to make this a debate about the GOAT RB, though I'm sure it will turn to that. But want to survey the board. Vilma tweeted the GOAT's are Barry then Peyton. I'd tend to agree.

Funny thing for me is, you almost NEVER hear anyone argue Emmitt as the GOAT. I personally wouldn't put him in the top 5.

So the question is, does ANYONE here consider Emmitt the GOAT? If so, why other than "because he's the all time rushing leader."
#1 Barry
#2a payton
#2b Jim brown
#2c ****erson
#2d a.d.
Than a bunch of also rans... emmitt ain't even top 10 in my eyes. Take him off that Dallas squad and see how this conversation plays out. Other than maybe payton none of the others had great teams around them and definitely not the oline,fb & te pairings he had... I'm convinced my grandmother wouldve been all pro with all he had to work with. With all that being said Bo dont see none of these dudes if he wouldnt have had that injury. Earl Campbell & Ltd could be discussed for the bottom tier of this.

Advertisement
#1 Barry
#2a payton
#2b Jim brown
#2c ****erson
#2d a.d.
Than a bunch of also rans... emmitt ain't even top 10 in my eyes. Take him off that Dallas squad and see how this conversation plays out. Other than maybe payton none of the others had great teams around them and definitely not the oline,fb & te pairings he had... I'm convinced my grandmother wouldve been all pro with all he had to work with. With all that being said Bo dont see none of these dudes if he wouldnt have had that injury. Earl Campbell & Ltd could be discussed for the bottom tier of this.

Don't all RBs get the benefit of having HOFers on the OL? Yes, Emmit may have had 1-2 more, but all those guys had at least 2 HOFs blocking for them. Besides, Emmitt shattered records in HS, shattered records in college, shattered records in the pros. Doesn't that count for something? At some point, gotta give him his due and to say he's not even top 10 is ridiculous, d. you can argue all you want about not being top 3-5, but 10? Cmon mane.

Don't all RBs get the benefit of having HOFers on the OL? Yes, Emmit may have had 1-2 more, but all those guys had at least 2 HOFs blocking for them. Besides, Emmitt shattered records in HS, shattered records in college, shattered records in the pros. Doesn't that count for something? At some point, gotta give him his due and to say he's not even top 10 is ridiculous, d. you can argue all you want about not being top 3-5, but 10? Cmon mane.
Not even comparable when you look at oline,FB & te. No one was even close at oline. Entire starting oline and 2 back ups that were monsters. Than u got moose and novacek.... c'mon. Far as high school and college that's absurd. Then what are we supposed to start talking about travis Henry and danyell? Or the adrian Peterson from georgia southern? We all got opinions. It's cool. Personally that's mine. I dont even discuss him in the same class as those dudes... I'd literally just walk away from that conversation if someone tried to go there.

Not even comparable when you look at oline,FB & te. No one was even close at oline. Entire starting oline and 2 back ups that were monsters. Than u got moose and novacek.... c'mon. Far as high school and college that's absurd. Then what are we supposed to start talking about travis Henry and danyell? Or the adrian Peterson from georgia southern? We all got opinions. It's cool. Personally that's mine. I dont even discuss him in the same class as those dudes... I'd literally just walk away from that conversation if someone tried to go there.

Henry dominated HS but not college (he had one decent season at UT). The original AP barely made a dent in the NFL. I'm talking collectively at all levels - for a guy who dominates at every level, at some point, you got to give him his due.

Btw, were you at UM when James Stewart was there? I recall the Eric D comps when he was a freshman. Kid was a beast.

Advertisement
Henry dominated HS but not college (he had one decent season at UT). The original AP barely made a dent in the NFL. I'm talking collectively at all levels - for a guy who dominates at every level, at some point, you got to give him his due.

Btw, were you at UM when James Stewart was there? I recall the Eric D comps when he was a freshman. Kid was a beast.
I get it & while I agree he dominated in high school and cant have it held against him he did play against kids from Pensacola for God's sake. We cant have it both ways where we knock on a kids tape because of his comp level(not saying you in particular do this brother, dont know)then give all this credit to a kid who played against the pcola traveling team Klan all stars... I'll take a kid like troy Davis or Frank gore or even Sean taylor when you speak about dominating high school because I know what he went against every week was quality atleast. Far as college ur taking this narrative and running with it. He was good especially his last year but he never came anywhere close to dominating on the collegiate level. Eric Rhett was a far better back at uf then him and so was fred... I'll give people credit that I feel deserve it. But again the discussion is all time greats not **** good. I left out alot of **** good backs that for me are on the same level as him from herschel to Tony dorsett to gale sayers & earl Campbell. All of those I'd take over emmitt. But it is just me and that's my preference. I understand where people are coming from who see the other side of the coin.

Advertisement
Back