GOAT RB - Vilma tweet

CashMoneyCane

Mahoney 7
Not really trying to make this a debate about the GOAT RB, though I'm sure it will turn to that. But want to survey the board. Vilma tweeted the GOAT's are Barry then Peyton. I'd tend to agree.

Funny thing for me is, you almost NEVER hear anyone argue Emmitt as the GOAT. I personally wouldn't put him in the top 5.

So the question is, does ANYONE here consider Emmitt the GOAT? If so, why other than "because he's the all time rushing leader."

Advertisement
Emmitt Smith is a Croc, so he automatically gets bumped down a few spots on the all-time list. That’s just how it works.

Pretty sure all the older dudes would say Jim Brown is the GOAT.

I think it's naturally generational, but nowadays most people say Barry IMO.

I didn't watch Brown play but I know he was a monster. But Barry was superhuman. He's the only person I'm certain I've seen teleport and he did it on live TV in front of a national audience.

Advertisement
What makes Barry Sanders amazing is that he changed his style of running. In college he was a simple one cut and go north and south runner.

In the NFL he became the most elusive shake and bake runner of all time.

Watching highlights even today on YouTube, leaves your mouth open wondering how did Barry even find the hold to squeeze through.

Emmitt Smith is a Croc, so he automatically gets bumped down a few spots on the all-time list. That’s just how it works.

Pretty sure all the older dudes would say Jim Brown is the GOAT.
My uncle swore JB was the GOAT. From what I see on film, I'd take Sayers over Brown. I don't think his game translates well to today's game. Although Derrick Henry reminds of Brown and he's doing just fine.

My top 5 in no particular order.....

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Earl Campbell
O.J. Simpson... (say what you want about his non-football life transgressions, but rushing for over 2,000 yards in a 14 game season is an unbelievable football accomplishment)

I'd agree OJ is probably on this list. I tend to be with Vilma that there's 2 or 3 that are definitely top 2-3 and then after that there's 10 guys who you can debate.

Advertisement
My top 5 in no particular order.....

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Earl Campbell
O.J. Simpson... (say what you want about his non-football life transgressions, but rushing for over 2,000 yards in a 14 game season is an unbelievable football accomplishment)

Can't argue with this.
Cambell was incredible.
The definition of giving all you got.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
A lot of the old heads have told me that Jim Brown is the GOAT and the same guys usually talk about how OJ at his peak was better than any other RB at their peak, but that is different than being the GOAT.

I'm old, but not that old.
When I was a kid, the best Jim Brown performance I saw was in The Dirty Dozen.
Classic.

I'd put AP at his prime right there with LT. They were both monsters. But LT seemed to be more consistent over the years given AP's injuries and child abuse LOL

Ya AP was a beast, but like you said wasn't as consistent as LT. Ricky Williams was another one that could have been a great if he just stuck with his craft.

Advertisement
Back