Give the defense credit

donutface

Freshman
Everyone has been killing them all year. Save for Kacey Rodgers deciding to watch a TD instead of break it up, they played pretty well. FSU's offense had been on fire the last few games.

Advertisement
they did play well. the game came down to a few critical plays that we blew.

the punt return for a TD
TB on the punt return muff
the dropped 2 point conversion
the pick in the endzone by J12 when we shoulda got 3

Killed ourselves. Plain and simple. And this might've been the worst officiated game I've ever seen. In the conference of bad officiating no less.

Advertisement
FSU is not a great team, they get fat beating up on bad teams. The D was ok.

This. Don't overrate the performance. All in all they stepped up for a big game considering their limitations but they and Mark No D Ofrio are far from excellent.

Last edited:
I agree FSU is not great, but you play the team you play and the defense was prepared for this offense. They completely shut down their offense in the fist half less than 10 rushing and about 50 or so in passing. 2 turnovers, penalties and horrid special teams cost us.

I was proud to see that kind of effort on defense. Thought our run defense was great, and we defended the pass much better than in previous weeks.

yepppppp.

defense gets major props. they were the least of our worries. special teams and boneheaded mistakes lost this game. we beat ourselves.

Advertisement
Really impressed with the pressure our front 4 were able to get at times, flushing Manuel out of the pocket.

Anyone else notice Vernon playing DT at times?

yeah. i think Vernon goes inside on obvious passing situations. that's smart. all the d'onofrio bashers can't knock that

Killed ourselves. Plain and simple. And this might've been the worst officiated game I've ever seen. In the conference of bad officiating no less.

You blew the game not capitalizing when we had only three first downs in the first half, and although the officiating was horrible, I think it was pretty much all horrible in your favor. You guys had the the joke roughing the punter call, the bradham hit on byrd that was clean, the KO return called back, the opening play fumble that went your way, and about 100 holds on our DEs that weren't called.

As for the guy who says FSU isn't great and just gets fat on bad teams...I think that goes without saying. We are 7-3 in a bad conference. We lost a tight game to the only good OOC opponent we had, and our conference just blows. Unless you're clobbering everyone in the ACC right now, I don't think you can say you're great. There are no great teams in the ACC right now.

Advertisement

You blew the game not capitalizing when we had only three first downs in the first half, and although the officiating was horrible, I think it was pretty much all horrible in your favor. You guys had the the joke roughing the punter call, the bradham hit on byrd that was clean, the KO return called back, the opening play fumble that went your way, and about 100 holds on our DEs that weren't called.

As for the guy who says FSU isn't great and just gets fat on bad teams...I think that goes without saying. We are 7-3 in a bad conference. We lost a tight game to the only good OOC opponent we had, and our conference just blows. Unless you're clobbering everyone in the ACC right now, I don't think you can say you're great. There are no great teams in the ACC right now.

The roughing call should have been 5 yards. Not 15. Couldnt believe that. The kickoff that got returned was the right call though. Clear holding.

The holding on the kickoff return was clear as day. And Vernon was being held just as often as your DEs were...they just weren't calling them either way on Saturday. Also not giving us the TD on the play where Morris went in motion and sneaked it in was a joke.

Advertisement
FSU is not a great team, they get fat beating up on bad teams. The D was ok.

This. Don't overrate the performance. All in all they stepped up for a big game considering their limitations but they and Mark No D Ofrio are far from excellent.

I don't think anyone is calling our defense good or even average but we are only 29th in the nation in scoring defense. Thought that was pretty amazing considering.

FWIW I think Coach D'onofrio is a very good defensive coordinator.

The holding on the kickoff return was clear as day. And Vernon was being held just as often as your DEs were...they just weren't calling them either way on Saturday. Also not giving us the TD on the play where Morris went in motion and sneaked it in was a joke.

The commentators made the following comments during the replay which showed your man flopping his arms as he was falling: "Might have been embellished a bit by the Miami player," and "He may get an Emmy right after this."

That and the opening play that was reversed which should not have been (clearly not conclusive video evidence to overrule), and the drive after the called back KR resulting in a FG instead of a TD is an 11 point swing in your favor given as a gift by the referees (and was almost 13 with the botched safety call). That being the case I really think you have no right to complain about any officiating in the game.

Last edited:
Really impressed with the pressure our front 4 were able to get at times, flushing Manuel out of the pocket.

Anyone else notice Vernon playing DT at times?

I don't think he's playing DT, from what I have seen this season they usually go 3-4 or 3-3-5 with an over or under look, meaning the line shifts strong or weak and the backer for the appropriate side sets up in a rush end position. So in reality he's playing DE in a 3 man front.

Advertisement
Back