Give JW his INT

Advertisement
Those refs are brain dead. Miami obviously gets to decline the penalty. The other was after a change of possession so they weren't offsetting penalties. It should have been a just a 15 yard penalty from the spot of 51's block.

Also if they said both penalties were declined how did the play not count? Lol even if they accepted the penalty, the pick still stands. After the pick, it's essentially a punt return and should have been treated as such.
You are 100% correct. Rule 10-1-4.

Once there is a change of possession there is no such thing as offsetting penalties if each penalty happened before and after the turnover. Once again this was botched by the refs. This kind of thing happens all the time with a interception. Never have I seen a scenario the offense retain possession.

It was an absolutely botched call, & I’ll say it again; the ACC & PAC-12 have some of the most incompetent officials who literally look lost and unsure of anything.

Advertisement
If this wasn’t going into halftime, it may have been the biggest rape of the year by the officials on us - which is saying something. The safeties were bad - especially against FSU. But just getting such a basic call like that wrong is so inept.

Once there is a change of possession there is no such thing as offsetting penalties if each penalty happened before and after the turnover. Once again this was botched by the refs. This kind of thing happens all the time with a interception. Never have I seen a scenario the offense retain possession.
Exactly. It’s basic football rules.

If we followed the ref’s logic, then if there is a block in the back after a team possesses a punt then the punting team should get a first down.

ACC refs = absolute incompetence

Advertisement
It was an absolutely botched call, & I’ll say it again; the ACC & PAC-12 have some of the most incompetent officials who literally look lost and unsure of anything.
I thunk you're 100%. We have the worst officiating. I don't even think it's G5 level.

I do think this situation should be correctable in that JW should get his interception.

However, I don't think the ACC will do anything as they never want to admit fault. This is such a cut dry error. It doesn't change the outcome of the game, but give our guy JW credit for his efforts.

The BC coach may have looked surprised because he may have thought he had one more untimed down due to the offsetting penalties and one more play with one second left in the half. One more chance at another Hail Mary.

He didn’t.

Mario declined the holding penalty on BC which meant BC had to decline the block in the back on the interception. Otherwise Miami would have retained possession. We all know Mario would’ve taken a knee and go into the locker room with a 28-7 lead, but Hafley wasn’t going to take a chance.

I think the play is nullified but no time is put on the clock and the half ends because there is insufficient time to run a play.
Look at rule 10-4-1. The ACC refs messed this up.

Advertisement
Here’s another way to break this down. Suppose BC did not commit the holding penalty. So we have an interception with an illegal block well after the pick. This happens all the time. Pretty cut and dry. Defense keeps the ball and the penalty is marked off. Even the ACC officials cannot mess that situation up. But yet, because BC committed a penalty before the pick that somehow muddies the water and they almost rewarded BC with another down. You honestly cannot make this scenario up.

Advertisement
It’s not even that tough…

It’s Miami ball, with the 10 yard block in the back enforced from the spoke of the foul. First down.

I just wanted to chime in on something that is incorrect in the official stats from the Boston College game.

The James Williams interception just before halftime was bizarre.

First of all, if JW stays on the sideline where he has blockers, he likely scores and there's no blocking penalty. Because of the angles, the block wouldn't have been attempted.

The rulling by referee was bizarre. The ref ruled the offsetting penalties as declined. The BC coach looked absolutely surprised. I don't see how that was even possible unless both coaches actually declined the penalty. It appeared as though the referee s made an independent decision.

Because they ruled the penalties as declined, the play should have stood and JW credited with an INT. The official stats show BC with 2 INTs not 3. The BC QB had 3 interceptions in the game.

1. The tip ball Moten INT.
2. The James Williams Hail Mary endzone INT.
3. The Marcellius Pulliam game ending INT.

Mario, at his post-game presser, said they had 2 interceptions. Someone should contact the staff and have the ACC correct the official stat line.

In any declined penalty, the play counts. Give JW his INT. He deserves it.

EDIT: I just reviewed NCAA rule 10-1-4. The interpretation version in the link below explains our scenario quite clearly.

Our scenario is Team A (BC) commits a penalty during a play in which they turn the ball over to team B (UM) who commits a penalty after the change of possession during the play.

One option is both teams accept the penalties and the down is replayed. Another option which I think Mario employed is that Team B (UM) declines the penalty against Team A (BC), but retains possession of the football with the penalty yardage enforced against them.

Because the the half ended, no offensive play occurred. However, the turnover play counts and James Williams should have been credited with his INT.

I think the ACC messed this up in the referee explanation and a failure to record the correct statistic.

Take a look for yourself. I think you'll agree.
I was thinking this to myself. Thanks for posting

Advertisement
Back