Gino

This is an embarrassingly silly statement.

And an empty cliche.

Except, of course, that he is right about the type of player we recruit. When is the last time you can say that a Miami team raised itself up to a higher level? 2006? Since then, the MAX effort we get is playing to seed.

We're a #2 seed? Then who cares if we beat Florida in game 2 of the regional? We're going to lose the regional anyway.

You refuse to admit anything is wrong with the coaching, so it has to boil down to the players. Again, we're signing the local travel ball heroes. Alex Toral hasn't stood out since his sophomore year of high school? So what? Perfect Game has him rated as a beast.

Advertisement
Then you agree that we f'ed up in the area of roster management. You're going to have to commit to one side or the other.

I've never had a problem assigning responsibility for roster management to the coaching staff. I can just weigh it along with other things, like a rational person.

You, however, have had a serious problem admitting that anything else matters or that things happen that mere mortals can't plan adequately for.

Except, of course, that he is right about the type of player we recruit.

Did you even read what I quoted?

He made some silly cliche about "hard-nosed" players which is such a fanboy thing to say and one that people post when they have absolutely no idea how to respond to the question.

When is the last time you can say that a Miami team raised itself up to a higher level? 2006? Since then, the MAX effort we get is playing to seed.

So you think it's better to underachieve (for lack of a better word) for an entire regular season and then overachieve for 10 days at the end then it is to merely play like a #1 seed the entire time (2008, 2015, 2016)?

And, by the way, the 2006 team went 1-2 in Omaha. That's not an acceptable result according to you.

But you do this all the time. You pull these weird metrics out of your ***.

Like "record vs. team with a higher seed."

Or "Raised itself up to a higher level" standard.

Advertisement
Did you even read what I quoted?

He made some silly cliche about "hard-nosed" players which is such a fanboy thing to say and one that people post when they have absolutely no idea how to respond to the question.

Except, again, that he is right. Successful recruiters don't just evaluate a player's physical tools. We pretty much let Perfect Game do that for us anyway. A successful recruiter identifies the kind of player he wants for HIS program. A successful recruiter doesn't call the coach at Monsignor Pace and say "give me errbody you got".

You can look down on the idea of a hard-nosed player, but ****, give me a couple of hard-nosed players already. Quit giving me guys who look great in a uniform while trying to look good for the draft.

So you think it's better to underachieve (for lack of a better word) for an entire regular season and then overachieve for 10 days at the end then it is to merely play like a #1 seed the entire time (2008, 2015, 2016)?

Unless you've found someone who is giving out regular season RPI trophies, the answer is absolutely and unequivocally yes. Give me a team that may not have the best talent but wins when it counts. And, contrary to whatever you're trying to sell us here, the postseason is what counts (when we get to the postseason).

And, by the way, the 2006 team went 1-2 in Omaha. That's not an acceptable result according to you.

That team wasn't supposed to be in Omaha. That team went on the road and pulled an upset at the most important time. That used to happen around here.

Like "record vs. team with a higher seed."

That's only weird to you because you have no answer for it. We have not played higher than our seed in over a decade. No heart.

Or "Raised itself up to a higher level" standard.

Again, that's a foreign concept to you. We can't always be a national seed. But it would be nice to compete in years when we're not a national seed. Maybe go on the road and take down a better team. But that never happens.

You refuse to admit anything is wrong with the coaching, so it has to boil down to the players.

And that assessment has basically been proven correct.

No, I don't think there were many problems with the coaching staff of Morris, DiMare and Arteaga.

Now, they're responsible for the players so that's a fair criticism. But when Gino came back in 2012 and his first two full classes basically put us back in Omaha for two straight years, it should've put to rest some of this nonsense.

But it didn't.

Now after a short stint in roster purgatory, we've got a really good roster but somehow people still think he can't recruit and can't coach.

Again, we're signing the local travel ball heroes. Alex Toral hasn't stood out since his sophomore year of high school? So what? Perfect Game has him rated as a beast.

We're signing the best prospects in South Florida from the best high school teams. Just like we always have.

Advertisement
And that assessment has basically been proven correct.

No, I don't think there were many problems with the coaching staff of Morris, DiMare and Arteaga.

Now, they're responsible for the players so that's a fair criticism. But when Gino came back in 2012 and his first two full classes basically put us back in Omaha for two straight years, it should've put to rest some of this nonsense.

But it didn't.

Now after a short stint in roster purgatory, we've got a really good roster but somehow people still think he can't recruit and can't coach.

Funny how "two full classes" and "two straight years in Omaha" are monumental feats, but two years without even making the postseason is a "short stint".

So we have only had a "short stint" among top-tier teams in the past decade.

We're signing the best prospects in South Florida from the best high school teams. Just like we always have.

Yes, based on Perfect Game's rankings. You're agreeing with me. The problem is that relying on Perfect Game gives you a Yonder Alonso clone who hits singles and strikes out a lot.

You can look down on the idea of a hard-nosed player, but ****, give me a couple of hard-nosed players already. Quit giving me guys who look great in a uniform while trying to look good for the draft.

You want a team full of Michael Burns' more power to you.

But don't complain and blame the coaches when they don't win.

Advertisement
You want a team full of Michael Burns' more power to you.

But don't complain and blame the coaches when they don't win.

I complain and blame the coaches now with the players they recruit, since they don't win. So anything different would be a good start.

Advertisement
Unless you've found someone who is giving out regular season RPI trophies, the answer is absolutely and unequivocally yes.

The 2006 and 2015-16 teams got to the same place. I don't think losing more games and putting yourself in a tougher position is unequivocally better, or even better at all.

Give me the blue chip teams every time. I'll take my chances.

The 2006 and 2015-16 teams got to the same place. I don't think losing more games and putting yourself in a tougher position is unequivocally better, or even better at all.

According to you we are signing the best players from the best high schools in South Florida. Then why do we suck? It's either the players or the coaches, and the coaches are responsible for recruiting the players.

The 2006 team, which went into the postseason as a #2 seed, won as many games in Omaha as the 2015-16 teams combined. Give me the team that plays better than it is when it counts. 2015-16 went through the motions in Omaha even though they were supposedly a national seed.

Advertisement
Back