Getting crazier(OT)

Advertisement
So does this mean universities wouldn't have to spend millions on womens programs and scholorships due to title IX?
Josh Pate made reference to this being a possible consequence of revenue sharing with players. He didn't specifically say Women sports, but he mentioned some sports will have to be cut as they are and have always been subsidized by the larger sports.

My mind immediately jumped to women sports as 99% of them are non-profitable.

Advertisement
There’s just gonna be school-sponsored semi-pro football and basketball teams. Athletic departments are gonna shut down because they cannot afford to pay potentially hundreds of athletes as employees plus benefits. Obviously they may be biased, but I’ve spoken to a G5 AD about something like this, and it sounded like a death sentence.

Josh Pate made reference to this being a possible consequence of revenue sharing with players. He didn't specifically say Women sports, but he mentioned some sports will have to be cut as they are and have always been subsidized by the larger sports.

What’s the 1% that are?

I read that Dartmouth will be fighting this ruling; the other thing to note is, which I just found out, Ivy League schools don’t give out Athletic Scholarships, so their situation is quite different than FBS football. They are more Div 3 sports vs. D-1. I saw an SC player tried to do this like 9 yrs ago & it was rejected upon appeal.

Advertisement
UF's football team
Lebron James Basketball GIF by NBA

****... I was here for a new crazy offensive tackle...

Probably stay to see if anyone else figures out the coded title...or if it merges with the conference mega thread therapy session...

Advertisement
I read that Dartmouth will be fighting this ruling; the other thing to note is, which I just found out, Ivy League schools don’t give out Athletic Scholarships, so their situation is quite different than FBS football. They are more Div 3 sports vs. D-1. I saw an SC player tried to do this like 9 yrs ago & it was rejected upon appeal.

this is true.

although I really don't know much about how it worked at the time, as I never received any, a decent group of my teammates at Yale did receive financial aid in the form of stipends, grants or loans. my impression it wasn't much different than what the general student population was getting, or had access to, if there was a need for it. and I couldn't tell you if it was being awarded to a greater percentages of football/basketball/baseball student-athletes, as opposed to non-athletes. but I suspect (knowing what I know now) that might have been the case.

of course, academic scholarships and awards that all students were eligible for worked differently than general financial assistance.

you're right though, the ivy league is prohibited from designating any student to be under an athletic scholarship.

Last edited:

And here's another set of consequences, which I'm sure the attorneys like @DMoney and @AtlAtty will opine on. if that ruling stands (which is more probable than not) and the athletes are truly employees, they would have all the rights attendant thereto. and so would the schools as employers.

Sure, there could be a union and collective bargaining, but that doesn't change the fact that this means individual schools will be able to set their own rules in privity of contract which each player/employee on:
  • Who is eligible to play --- do they even need to be a full time student?
  • What GPA or standards of academics are required --- no minimum academic coursework or achievement necessary, that's at the school's discretion
  • Who is accepted to the college and what those high school prerequisites are --- the school decides if they even need certain HS classes or grades
  • How much the student (employee) will be paid --- no salary cap or conditions
  • When they will be paid --- before or after enrollment, pensions, and deferred comp are on the table
  • What fringe/employee benefits can or will be provided --- who has a better health plan and more paid vacation, OSU or UM?
  • What they can pay to induce attendance and how much --- housing allowance, payments for visits, and signing bonuses
  • What non-competes they can or will enter into --- sign with us, you can't transfer to an instate school ... or maybe we agree you can as an inducement?
  • Whether the employee will be required to join a union (answer is no in a right to work state like Florida and 25 others)
The only thing that will govern is the laws of commercial contracts. End of story.

And by the way, here’s one more critical thing to consider:

if an act or policy of the NCAA is deemed illegal or anticompetitive, then it will be as equally problematic for conferences. The power of conferences to establish and enforce anticompetitive rules is also done. There’s no such thing as probation or enforcement for violating recruiting, academic eligibility, or NIL rules. That’s history. It’s in the hands of each of the schools to do as they see fit, as long as the contracts don't breach federal or state employment laws.

to say that we are about to walk through a colossal sh*tstorm is an understatement of the decade.

And here's another set of consequences, which I'm sure the attorneys like @DMoney and @AtlAtty will opine on. if that ruling stands (which is more probable than not) and the athletes are truly employees, they would have all the rights attendant thereto. and so would the schools as employers.

Sure, there could be a union and collective bargaining, but that doesn't change the fact that this means individual schools will be able to set their own rules in privity of contract which each player/employee on:
  • What GPA or standards of academics are required --- no minimum academic coursework or achievement necessary, that's at the school's discretion
  • Who is accepted to the college and what those high school prerequisites are --- the school decides if they even need certain HS classes or grades
  • When they will be paid --- before or after enrollment, pensions, and deferred comp are on the table
  • What fringe/employee benefits can or will be provided --- who has a better health plan and more paid vacation, OSU or UM?
  • What they can pay to induce attendance and how much --- housing allowance, payments for visits, and signing bonuses
  • What non-competes they can or will enter into --- sign with us, you can't transfer to an instate school ... or maybe we agree you can as an inducement?
  • Whether the employee will be required to join a union (answer is no in a right to work state like Florida and 25 others)
The only thing that will govern is the laws of commercial contracts. End of story.

if an act or policy of the NCAA is deemed illegal or anticompetitive, then it will be as equally problematic for conferences. The power of conferences to establish and enforce anticompetitive rules is also done. There’s no such thing as probation or enforcement for violating recruiting, academic eligibility, or NIL rules. That’s history. It’s in the hands of each of the schools to do as they see fit, as long as the contracts don't breach federal or state employment laws.

to say that we are about to walk through a colossal sh*tstorm is an understatement of the decade.

Wish I could like this more.

Things fall apart when too many chefs r in the kitchen, & ppl who think they are smart make dumb decisions. I know this first hand from a former company I worked for. It’s crazy to think about how alll of this could’ve been avoided, & still can be if egos r put in check. Politics needs to remain out of this, however.

Advertisement

You make great points. Being employees has some very real positives, and some very real negatives. I hope people understand what they have asked for.

Advertisement
Back