Get used to the abbreviation CTE

Advertisement
CTE happens in hockey, boxing, MMA, soccer, NASCAR, some cases in baseball (hitting wall, catcher, hit by ball). Basketball may be the only major sport that has limited connections with it. As such, I can't see football going away. The NFL appears to be taking the most agressive approach to reducing chances of CTE for future generations.

Yeah, lol by owning ALL OF THE research on the brain and making sure no one REALLY knows how fuqed these dudes are.

Dont fall for the propaganda, please. The NFL does not give A fuq!!

FYI, pretty hard to determine how fuqed these dudes are without their death first. Even Dave Mirra had CTE so I don't think we can simply point the finger at Roger and blame him for a major cover-up. We are talking about 1700 active players in the NFL vs. the millions across all sports. I'm not falling for any propaganda as my dad likely had CTE. Fuq, I've had my brains scrambled a few times playing sports (football, bmx, mountain biking, baseball).

The real debate should be at the local level. Are high schools who spend hundreds of thousands to potentially millions on sports linked to CTE at all responsible for the long-term health of the kids?

There are more and more studies around this showing the impact of CTE and the link to ALS, suicide and other mental illnesses. It is scary to think about all the things we do not know about related to CTE and what football, soccer and other athletes might be dealing with. I have a hard time watching hits these days that used to make football so exciting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/...n-trauma-disease-in-a-soccer-player.html?_r=0

https://theconcussionblog.com/what-is-cte/

Yes I agree... and I think continued teaching the fundamentals at every level and the appropriate ways to tackle is important. You can still delever a hard hit that separates the ball carrier from the football using your shoulders, and delivering the hit from the neck down. Also continued research so that our equiptment becomes 21st century stuff. Helmets need to reach another level of technology. So that the head is protected. Applied research. NFL money can do this..."IF" they want to.

I'll bite...

I'm wondering why the NFL is getting all this flack. These athletes are getting their head banged around since pop warner football. Then get banged around some more on the high school and collegiate levels. By the time they turn pro, most are already damaged. I never got to the collegiate level from my injury I sustained in high school and I'm still feeling the wear and tear from playing football from the age of 6 all the way to 17.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, so it's real easy to attack them, but what about the high school coaches who run Oklahoma drills? Shouldn't they be held accountable? What about the college coaches threatening a player's position if they sit out? Shouldn't they be held responsible? Why is it that the NFL is the only entity we hear about in the news when High School Coaches and College Coaches have done the same thing that created this mentality before these guys get to the NFL?

Kids are taught to use their helmets to tackle. The term, "Head Up" starts at the pee wee level where kids would use their helmets as weapons. Fans going crazy when they hear the crack of the helmet on the Jr. levels. The problem is not the NFL; the problem is before you get to the NFL. The fundamental of tackling needs to start younger. Like at [MENTION=17156]STORM_FRONT 1964[/MENTION] stated, you can deliver a great hit using your shoulder to body. However we have to remember, it's a contact sport. There's risk rewards with this dangerous sport, just like boxing, and MMA.

Strong post. I cant imagine how many concussions i got in high school alone, not to mention other injuries.

Sometimes when i look at NFL players and I think " God, how can you even sleep at night ?" I know most of them HAVE TO BE addicted to pain pills. Gotta be.

At the end of the day you will never be able to make football safe and exciting.

Its a spontaneous collision sport where the physics and angles are so random youre bound to be injured no matter how safe you try to be.

****, ive seen countless players( J.Carter-FSu), ejected for legal hits because theyre so vicious they look illegal and STILL give concussions due to whiplash and Head to ground impact.

Its just dumb af to try to make football safe. Its an oxymoron, really.

You want to play? Well, you know the risk.

The game shouldn't stop because people CHOOSE to play.

no one is forcing them.

It's not that simple. Putting aside the liability exposure, the public health policy trajectory is evident. Everyone focuses on the NFL and makes these assumption of risk arguments. But the real threat to the game lies at the high school level. And the argument (among others) against football there is that kids can't make that decision or assume that risk for themselves. Once school districts start banning football, which will happen, it will be the beginning of the end.

Well It isn't entirely on the NFL anymore. The NFL is ****** af for withholding the info and trying to pass it off as if theres no problem. But since it came out, they've made rule changes, and every level of football is required to teach better technique. However theres always a risk while playing football. But as a player you should do everything you can to reduce that risk, yet some players don't change their hitting style, or don't choose to use the newer helmets....you have players that choose to use the old *** shutts and ridells instead of the new Ridell Speedflex or the new Shutts. This is a major problem since the newer helmets can literally reduce the impact on you head by like half.

1. change the rules.
2. teach better technique.
3. improve the equipment to protect the head.

Thats pretty much all that can be done. And for the most part if you do all three things, you can drastically reduce the amount of concussions or big hits to the head you receive.

This is nothing new, but definitely has turned me into a soccer mom watching these games. The mental checklist after every big hit starts with "don't be hurt, don't be hurt"...and then I analyze what happened on the play.

Advertisement
Question for the board: a lot of people throw around the "take the helmets away and players won't use their head anymore" logic. Sounds silly to me, but I also don't have much background in any of this stuff...anyone have an educated opinion one way or the other?

one point is that many concussions occur in practice when players tackle

one way around it is to limit tackling in practice or use moving robot dummies to tackle in practice

hopefully this can reduce the # of concussions

another problem is that many players sandbag initial baseline cognitive testing so that they won't look concussed when they don't do so well on repeat testing post-concussion (it'll look like the sandbagged "baseline"). the issue here is that repeat concussions before a prior one has comfortably cleared is really not good long-term

NCAA has taken action with penalties for hits in targeting and using the helmet to the head. New equipment and further hitting prohibitions may be coming to address this issue.
Hope we don't end up playing Division 1 Flag football.

CTE happens in hockey, boxing, MMA, soccer, NASCAR, some cases in baseball (hitting wall, catcher, hit by ball). Basketball may be the only major sport that has limited connections with it. As such, I can't see football going away. The NFL appears to be taking the most agressive approach to reducing chances of CTE for future generations.

Yeah, lol by owning ALL OF THE research on the brain and making sure no one REALLY knows how fuqed these dudes are.

FYI, pretty hard to determine how fuqed these dudes are without their death first. Even Dave Mirra had CTE so I don't think we can simply point the finger at Roger and blame him for a major cover-up. We are talking about 1700 active players in the NFL vs. the millions across all sports. I'm not falling for any propaganda as my dad likely had CTE. Fuq, I've had my brains scrambled a few times playing sports (football, bmx, mountain biking, baseball).

The real debate should be at the local level. Are high schools who spend hundreds of thousands to potentially millions on sports linked to CTE at all responsible for the long-term health of the kids?

You only THINK its determined post mortem because the NFL keeps it that way.

Its not an agenda by Goodell, the fact that you even mentioned his name proves you fall for the propaganda. Its an agenda by the owners who pay Goodells salary and make billions off of the non profit org that is the NFL.

The NFL owns all information, patents, copyrights, trademarks, and research on brain science and health. They even paid a settlement to former players in order to keep the records closed.

They wouldn't go through those great lengths to keep NOTHING a secret. They know **** well how this shid affects the human body way before a man dies but they want that cash to keep flowing.

Follow the money, it never lies.

Advertisement

High school programs are responsible for the health of their players, at least in the short term. The programs should be required to have a concussion review protocol similar to the NFL and NCAA. A review protocol for a teenager might even be more rigid, given the age of the child. Programs and parents ignoring the known risks and allowing kids to play through concussions is negligent.

Concussions can be serious injuries and no one would want their child playing with an injury that puts long term health at risk. A kid suffering a knee injury would not be allowed to play until medically cleared. A kid with narrowing of the spinal canal or a heart condition would be barred from participating. Concussions should be handled in the same manner.

Didn't Al Golden have a LB recruit who chose to pass up a scholarship after suffering multiple concussions?

Smart kid and smart parents.

Last edited:
CTE is overstated i played football for my whole life and do not have any major issues. How would you explain the hundreds of successful nfl players who go on to lead happy lives after football? i believe some people are suceptable to the effects more than others which causes people to believe it is a blanket effect when it is not. You only live ONCE might as well live gloriously and live to the limit MMA, boxing, football and even extreme sports all have risks but why live your life like a GODDAM pu*** when we are all gonna die one day anyway?

CTE is overstated i played football for my whole life and do not have any major issues. How would you explain the hundreds of successful nfl players who go on to lead happy lives after football? i believe some people are suceptable to the effects more than others which causes people to believe it is a blanket effect when it is not. You only live ONCE might as well live gloriously and live to the limit MMA, boxing, football and even extreme sports all have risks but why live your life like a GODDAM pu*** when we are all gonna die one day anyway?

young-dolph-just-keep-it-real-with-yo-dogg-no-matter-what-preach.jpg

There are more and more studies around this showing the impact of CTE and the link to ALS, suicide and other mental illnesses. It is scary to think about all the things we do not know about related to CTE and what football, soccer and other athletes might be dealing with. I have a hard time watching hits these days that used to make football so exciting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/...n-trauma-disease-in-a-soccer-player.html?_r=0

https://theconcussionblog.com/what-is-cte/

Yes I agree... and I think continued teaching the fundamentals at every level and the appropriate ways to tackle is important. You can still delever a hard hit that separates the ball carrier from the football using your shoulders, and delivering the hit from the neck down. Also continued research so that our equiptment becomes 21st century stuff. Helmets need to reach another level of technology. So that the head is protected. Applied research. NFL money can do this..."IF" they want to.

I'll bite...

I'm wondering why the NFL is getting all this flack. These athletes are getting their head banged around since pop warner football. Then get banged around some more on the high school and collegiate levels. By the time they turn pro, most are already damaged. I never got to the collegiate level from my injury I sustained in high school and I'm still feeling the wear and tear from playing football from the age of 6 all the way to 17.

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, so it's real easy to attack them, but what about the high school coaches who run Oklahoma drills? Shouldn't they be held accountable? What about the college coaches threatening a player's position if they sit out? Shouldn't they be held responsible? Why is it that the NFL is the only entity we hear about in the news when High School Coaches and College Coaches have done the same thing that created this mentality before these guys get to the NFL?

Kids are taught to use their helmets to tackle. The term, "Head Up" starts at the pee wee level where kids would use their helmets as weapons. Fans going crazy when they hear the crack of the helmet on the Jr. levels. The problem is not the NFL; the problem is before you get to the NFL. The fundamental of tackling needs to start younger. Like at [MENTION=17156]STORM_FRONT 1964[/MENTION] stated, you can deliver a great hit using your shoulder to body. However we have to remember, it's a contact sport. There's risk rewards with this dangerous sport, just like boxing, and MMA.

Plain and simple, the NFL is getting the flack because they have all the power and authority, and because they've been well aware of the research for a couple decades and have done everything they can do ignore/deny it, downplay the danger, etc.

Everybody at every level of football takes their queues from the NFL. If the league says it's not dangerous, that such-and-such a study about brain damage is untrue, there isn't a Pop Warner or HS coach in the country who's going to call BS and try to discourage players from leading with the helmet.

Advertisement
I thought the real problem was the repeated, mini-concussions, that Linemen receive, not the massive KO blows you see WRs taking.

Butting heads play after play - not hard enough to concuss themselves, but hard enough to cause damage (something about the repeated blows causing the generation of proteins for healing which then block synapses in the brain?) is the real killer.

I think ultimately this research will kill the game of football. It'll happen at the grassroots level - parents just won't let their children play the sport anymore. Eventually the talent will dry up and the pro game will crumble.

That's cause you weren't a hitter.

Advertisement
Everybody keeps focusing on the tackling.

The main cause of CTE is the constant banging that happens play after play. People aren't getting CTE from the occasional big hit, they're getting CTE from the minor car crashes that they experience every play.

They can improve/regulate tackling all they want but the guys on the front-7 will continue to bash each other in the head. Only way to prevent that is to take helmets out of the game.

Truthfully I think we'll see less and less cases of CTE in today's players mainly due to the fact that the game is played differently than it was back in the day. No longer are Linebackers smashing Fullbacks with a 8 yard head-start anymore. And with all of today's zone blocking the OL/DL aren't banging like they used to either. Practices aren't as physically grueling as they used to be, when coaches used to line players across from each other and just have them bang over and over again.

Advertisement
Back