Gentlemen, D-Money on the latest podcast...

k9cane

Senior
Great job, you guys are sounding much more definitive and assertive than the first few editions of the pod-cast. Just wanted to let you know I tweeted Jason Whitlock( who's been a very big alley of UM in this whole Charles Robinson saga) and he said he'd try and listen to it. Say what you want about Whitlock- I know he's a polarizing guy- but he's taken Robinson to task for his seeming obsession with trying to put college programs on probation for really inconsequential things.

And D-Money, you are spot-on, as a writer one of the things you have to be careful of is becoming THE story. I think Robinson has absolutely fallen into the trap and now he's in a position where he needs to be vindicated. He long ago stopped becoming a neutral third party observer in this. He has a vested interest( and a yearning to win the Pulitzer, yes). And you have seemingly to put the dots together better than he has. I know this from experience, it's great to have sources- you just better have good ones and you still have to vet them and their intentions.

I had a feeling that story( the latest one) was a bit of a farce, it just didn't add up( and perhaps I'm naive, but I have great faith in Al Golden) and it looked like a designed hit piece, all the way to the timing. Ironically, it was Golden's alma mater that was THE story that day and week as ACC media day convened.

I think Miami gets some sanctions, really for PR sake IMO, as it relates to the NCAA but nothing like the death penalty( I did a few radio shows last year around this time and I was actually asked about this possibility). My gut feel is that we don't get nuked. And with Golden running the show, I think UM will be OK in the long run

But fellas, nice job on the pod-cast.

Advertisement
Thanks niner, means a lot coming from you.

I think your last point was the most important one. Golden was basically trained to deal with this kind of adversity coming from Temple. It's almost destiny that he was put in this spot. And he's actually been quoted lately saying that- he was put in this spot for a reason. Now that the shock has worn off, he has embraced the challenge.

D, your point about the last few recruiting classes of ERRickson vs those of Butch were spot on. It really points to the fact that you need the right man in charge. I'll never forget that Bryan Bippen class and how Ferman would say every year it was UM's best class in Canesport- I still have those yellowed editions somwhere.I(Ironically, those classes with Cameron Binion- Gatorade Player of the Year in Michigan- were actually more lauded than the ones JJ had.) ERRickson's greatest mistake was not retaining a guy like Soldinger who knew the So Florida terrain. It also didn't help that he and his staff were lazy.

I remember years ago doing player by player breakdowns of those recruiting classes on Canestime, it was comical how bad those classes were given where UM stood at the time. Jimmy's classes, especially his last two, were amazing.

The fact that Golden and Co. are doing as well as they are with the shackles on is really amazing. UM just has to keep this guy in Coral Gables for awhile, I truly believe the Canes are on a collision course with greatness with this guy

I think your last point was the most important one. Golden was basically trained to deal with this kind of adversity coming from Temple. It's almost destiny that he was put in this spot. And he's actually been quoted lately saying that- he was put in this spot for a reason. Now that the shock has worn off, he has embraced the challenge.

I saw a quote a while back, somebody had met Golden at one of those "meet the coach/fundraiser/dinner" things and they asked him "Why didn't you leave Miami when the Shaprio allegations broke?"

And he said "Because if I left, then the man in the 6 foot cell would win."

I mean ****, what an answer. That is a man on a mission there.

Golden at absolute minimum, a beast with the mouthpiece.

Advertisement

I saw a quote a while back, somebody had met Golden at one of those "meet the coach/fundraiser/dinner" things and they asked him "Why didn't you leave Miami when the Shaprio allegations broke?"

And he said "Because if I left, then the man in the 6 foot cell would win."

I mean ****, what an answer. That is a man on a mission there.

Golden at absolute minimum, a beast with the mouthpiece.

Al had me at hello, now this answer....

I'm telling ya, we're going places with this guy

Advertisement
Back