Gattis is Calling Plays from the Box - Is this Heaven or ****?

That's how the pros do it.
NFL coordinators are usually upstairs because:

1) every team has a separate quarterback coach who is already on the field, most colleges don't.

2) plays are relayed to the quarterback through a radio most of the time so there's no time lost when running a two minute drill

3) professional players, specifically quarterbacks shouldn't need a ton of in game, face to face coaching

4) pro quarterbacks are trusted to make their own audibles, most colleges use some sort of "check with me" system where the QB looks to the sideline for changes

Advertisement
Would probably be different if he was the QB coach. He can communicate with TVD and Ponce from the box, on what he's seeing, and Ponce can work with TVD face to face. Seems to make sense, instead of having someone relay what they're seeing from the box. He also said in the presser that it gives him time between series to make adjustments to his gameplan, away from the emotion of the sidelines.

Advertisement
I mean, I think we all should’ve seen this coming.

Most OCs double as QB coach and choose to be on the sidelines to be able to be with the QB. Since our set up is different I figured Gattis would be in the booth from the start and Ponce on the field.

There is literally nothing that proves one is better than the other. It's just preference.

The uptempo guys don't care because their concern is running their stuff fast and getting you stuck on the field in bad personnel or tired.

The check with me guys in theory would be upstairs unless they have someone they really trust up there. Teams have a whole crew in the box to give you any info you need.

NFL guys are talking directly into the qb's helmet.

Advertisement
They should put coach O in charge of transferring information from Gattis to the players on the sidelines.

Last edited:
I don't see it being an issue with Ponce already being on the sideline. Actually gives the OC a better viewpoint of the entire field and what the defense is doing so they can adjust.

Advertisement
What if the elevator is broken

Bed sheets...

1661893707096.png

Advertisement
Does it matter? I always thought this was a matter of preference. Is there any proof that either being on the sideline or being in a booth is more effective?

Who cares! Whether he coaches in the box,sidelines, or from his bathroom. This team does not have the playmakers and that is hurting The U!

Advertisement
Back