Tears Gator Tears

People don't understand power ratings unless it is their team who got upset. Oklahoma State beat Oregon earlier this year, maybe the biggest upset so far. Even though Ok State dominated Oregon in the trenches, Vegas and most people on this site would have Oregon favored if they played again. Now would Oregon be favored by as much as they were before Ok State beat them? No, but Oregon would still be favored. Which means in a Power Rating, Oregon should be ranked higher. Why is that so hard for fans to understand? Your 2002 Miami vs Ohio State game is the perfect example.

The question is whether power ratings actually accomplish what they purport to do.

Here's FPI's final top-10 ranking at the end of last season.

Should a rational power ranking have ND #2? They played no one during the regular season except us and they lost. And they didn't add to their power ranking in the playoffs because they didn't make it. There's no support that had ND made the playoffs they'd have beaten every team up to championship game. They don't have anything that would support an end of season power ranking of #2. They lacked any kind resume or accomplishment that would suggest they should even be considered for a high power ranking.

Us at #5 after running through a gauntlet of the best teams in the country to make the Championship game. Us behind Oregon?

Texas Tech at #6? They played no one outside an overrated Big 12 last year and then got waxed when they finally played a decent Oregon team.

Etc from that final ranking

I understand what power ratings purport to do. I don't see that they do a good job of it.


1791733120694.png
 
I said this when the hire was made. Sumrall is not the profile of G5 to step up to P4 and succeed. He doesn’t do anything elite.

Tulane, compared to its G5 peers, is well funded with a strong NIL program. He walked into a rolling machine with those advantages and, I would argue, did less with more. Tulane struggling this year is more of a result of their truly idiotic hire of Will Hall than Sumrall leaving.
 
There’s a way to stop that.

Just pay them A LOT more to stay.
If the boosters will up the budget. Reports are that the budget is currently somewhere in the $30-35M range. As far as I know the (Edit - I mean UAA) university's cash isn't just sitting around; it's tied up in projects and investments, so the money has to come from the boosters. Any net cash left over after all expenses are paid (usually there's just a couple million) has to go back to the university for academics.

And one of the other issues is that (allegedly) there's been some acrimony behind the scenes with the Gator Boosters. I talked about this last year, when one of the prominent members of the Gator Boosters org suddenly left after Gary Condron (#1 booster) took over the coaching search.

It's so weird though, right? Their budget should be higher, and they shouldn't have to keep hiring G5/6 coaches. Why are they being cheap?

Imagine if behind Miami's AD, there was another athletic office (the UAA, or University Athletic Association) behind the scenes, controlling everything and pulling all the strings. And the UAA is structured as a wholly-owned nonprofit subsidiary of the university. The AD technically runs the UAA (and is CFO), but the majority of the UAA is made up of the previous long-time AD (Jeremy Foley) and a bunch of his buddies, who set themselves up with Emeritus positions. It wasn't a bad idea in the beginning, as originally they just wanted to cleanly keep athletics and academics separate, but over the years it's become a mess and it's backfiring. Over the past ten years, there have been small movements to overthrow the UAA, but nothing more than message board fodder, and it needs to be done from the top of the university.

And below is a present for @TheOriginalCane - the UAA's 2025 Financial Statement (since Accounting was my worst subject in business school). I'm sure he'll find something interesting in here for us.

I checked booster donations, and they went up 33% from 2024-2025, and down 20% from 2023-2024. So then I went back and checked the 2024 report, and they went up 52% from 2022-2023. Billy had quite a tumultuous reign. And I'm sure a lot of that last year's donations can be attributed to the basketball championship. 2025 donations were $11,150,000, and 2024 were 8,403,000, just for a frame of reference.

 
Last edited:
I don’t get it? I thought VB III is their best wr, who is this referring to?
It's referring to VB3. He's been medically cleared to play for the past two games and has chosen to sit out.

Edit: I explained in this post last night...

 
Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong about the boosters and they are ponying up the money...



Sorry for the non-tears news in the Tears thread. But I thought it was relevant given all the Stockton and VB3 news.
 
Back
Top