Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
Can't signees use this as an excuse to get out of the NLI?

That may only be for a HC leaving but they can still get out of it in two ways:

A. They go ahead and use their free transfer or;
B. Ask UF to let them out of their NLI and force their hand to choose between that and bad publicity/reputation. Antoine did this to us last year and we let him out of it so he didn’t waste the transfer and was able to re-sign one with ECU.

That being said they could technically just enter the portal if they really do not want to be there due to bateman leaving. It would cost them their 1 time freebie.
Currently there is no such thing as one time freebie because of the lawsuit - it could wind up as transfer at your will no sitting out

Advertisement
That may only be for a HC leaving but they can still get out of it in two ways:

A. They go ahead and use their free transfer or;
B. Ask UF to let them out of their NLI and force their hand to choose between that and bad publicity/reputation. Antoine did this to us last year and we let him out of it so he didn’t waste the transfer and was able to re-sign one with ECU.
I would never keep a high school kid who hasnt played in a NLI.

High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

Advertisement
It's been 30 years since I had business law, but there was for certain contracts. Does it only apply to financial contracts? This is why I asked you.

Depends on the contract. There are laws for somethings (such as Lemon Laws for used cars) that may grant special recission rights that are not available in other contexts.

I think that LOI "contract law" is very specific and unique, since it seems to be "governed" by the NCAA as much, if not more, than the actual court system.

Not so fast, my friend...

No doubt about it. NLI’s are water tight. The NCAA uses this language in the NLI document to assure the binding agreement is to the college.

“I understand I have signed this NLI with the institution and not for a particular sport or coach. If a coach leaves the institution or the sports program (e.g., not retained, resigns), I remain bound by the provisions of this NLI. I understand it is not uncommon for a coach to leave his or her coaching position.” (http://www.nationalletter.org/nliProvisions/coachingChange.html)

It will be an arduous process to get out of a binding NLI for those who sign but then has a coach leave the program. However, in some cases the NCAA does allow students to be let out of their NLI. It’s a long process that first is reviewed by the NLI Appeals Committee a on a case by case basis (http://www.nationalletter.org/nliProvisions/releaseRequest.html).
Which shows the two reasons I have zero sympathy for the kids in this situation:

1) you should ALWAYS be thinking about signing with a school, not a coach, and
2) if you sign with the gators, you deserve what you get

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back