Tears Gator Tears

problem is trying to convince an up-and-coming OC to give up the secure job he has to come work for a coach that might get fired at any time would be almost impossible.

If the guy is that good, he knows that he will be getting other more desirable jobs and even a HC job, so he'd be crazy to jump into this blast furnace which is Bayou Billy's situation.
I agree, but Manny got Rhett. So it’s not impossible.

Advertisement
I don't think Manny was on the hot seat when he hired Rhett was he?

But I guess there's always somebody that thinks he can come in and save the HC's job and have job security.
Not as hot as Napier’s could be. But it was clearly his make or break year. As much as it may pain some of us to admit it, coming in and saving UF’s offense would be a good springboard into a decent G5 or lower level P5 HC job.

Advertisement
I would not want Prime here. Thats a sugar high. And when he leaves u could be in a worse place. But it would be funny to see them FSU go at it and of course it would impact us. But i would neg the **** outa Prime and tell the kids, he aint staying there.

of course I’m there.

giphy.gif

@FrostyVFL @flagator86

Lets get it on! Loser has to use an avi of the winners choice for 1 week.

Napoleon Dynamite Fighting GIF

me after Saturday when we outgain them by 150 yards and still lose lol....

i-still-fill-like-i-won-winner.gif

Advertisement
The funny thing is, they ALREADY gave Slingblade Billy a huge payout number for job security and they STILL might fire him. Same with aTm and Jimbo.

What is sad for The Gaytor is that this is going to be their Al Golden moment. They hired a mid G5 coach who had some success but who really hadn't established any true bona-fides to be able to run a top P5 program. Sure, he corched with Saban for a little bit, same as Fat Al did with Joe Ped-terno. Big ******* deal...

You can be a mid G5 coach, and take the step up and be successful. What comes to mind are guys like Jim Tressel (Youngstown St. directly to a natty at O$U), and Urban Meyer (from Utah in the Montain West conference to a natty at UiF), and Jim Harbaugh (from U of San Diego in the Pioneer League to Stanford at a top 4 BCS finish).

If you have it, you have it.

But it's just like evaluating players. Rankings and stars don't guarantee success. And where the AD's fail, is that they focus to much on the numbers, and not enough on the intangibles that allow a coach to be successful, and set up the program accordingly.

Your example of Al Golden Shower is perfect. A guy who interviews well. Says all the right things, can plan and is organized, but if you dug deeper into him, you would have seen the deficiencies that made him wrong for UM. Even if he was a coach with a history at power 5 and in the NFL, he'd still have those holes in his game. Not easy to spot, and given how weak our AD was at the time, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Advertisement
You can be a mid G5 coach, and take the step up and be successful. What comes to mind are guys like Jim Tressel (Youngstown St. directly to a natty at O$U), and Urban Meyer (from Utah in the Montain West conference to a natty at UiF), and Jim Harbaugh (from U of San Diego in the Pioneer League to Stanford at a top 4 BCS finish).

If you have it, you have it.

But it's just like evaluating players. Rankings and stars don't guarantee success. And where the AD's fail, is that they focus to much on the numbers, and not enough on the intangibles that allow a coach to be successful, and set up the program accordingly.

Your example of Al Golden Shower is perfect. A guy who interviews well. Says all the right things, can plan and is organized, but if you dug deeper into him, you would have seen the deficiencies that made him wrong for UM. Even if he was a coach with a history at power 5 and in the NFL, he'd still have those holes in his game. Not easy to spot, and given how weak our AD was at the time, it was a disaster waiting to happen.

Uhhhh...no.

Jim Tressel was not a "mid G5 coach". He won four national championships in Division I-AA. Tressel would likely have been offered the Miami job earlier than the Taint job if not for some of his issues.

Urban Meyer took that "Mountain West" team to a final #4 AP ranking and the Fiesta Bowl. Florida secured his services over interest from Notre Dame.

Jim Harbaugh had helped his father coach college football for years before spending two years at San Diego BEFORE GOING TO STANFORD. Before Michigan.

Billy Napier won the Sunbelt once, legitimately (and once by default). He got his Louisiana teams to the "First Responder Bowl" and the "New Orleans Bowl". Nobody was competing against Florida to hire Billy Napier.

Please, for the love of God, do not EVER compare Billy Napier to Jim Tressel or Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh. There is no comparison.

The issue is not whether a coach has ever spent time at a G5 school. Your context-free citation of the names of three future College HOF coaches does not suddenly render Billy Napier a "good hire" or a potentially great coach at the P5 level.

The issue is that prior to hiring a coach at a very high-level P5 program (and, yes, I hate the Gaytors, but they HAVE won national championships recently), a G5 coach had better do something pretty special to merit that consideration and promotion.

Tressel was a great I-AA head coach. Perhaps one of the greatest I-AA coaches of all time.

Urban Meyer head-coached at TWO lower-level programs prior to Florida. He worked his way up by proving himself twice. There was serious competition to hire him.

Harbaugh worked his way up through both the NFL and college ranks, and was a head coach at a lesser P5 school before joining Michigan, his alma mater.

Billy Napier is none of those things. He's a guy who got a shot at a G5 program after looking good coaching Mario's recruits. He had a couple of good years, but the P5 wasn't beating his door down.

Uhhhh...no.

Jim Tressel was not a "mid G5 coach". He won four national championships in Division I-AA. Tressel would likely have been offered the Miami job earlier than the Taint job if not for some of his issues.

Urban Meyer took that "Mountain West" team to a final #4 AP ranking and the Fiesta Bowl. Florida secured his services over interest from Notre Dame.

Jim Harbaugh had helped his father coach college football for years before spending two years at San Diego BEFORE GOING TO STANFORD. Before Michigan.

Billy Napier won the Sunbelt once, legitimately (and once by default). He got his Louisiana teams to the "First Responder Bowl" and the "New Orleans Bowl". Nobody was competing against Florida to hire Billy Napier.

Please, for the love of God, do not EVER compare Billy Napier to Jim Tressel or Urban Meyer or Jim Harbaugh. There is no comparison.

The issue is not whether a coach has ever spent time at a G5 school. Your context-free citation of the names of three future College HOF coaches does not suddenly render Billy Napier a "good hire" or a potentially great coach at the P5 level.

The issue is that prior to hiring a coach at a very high-level P5 program (and, yes, I hate the Gaytors, but they HAVE won national championships recently), a G5 coach had better do something pretty special to merit that consideration and promotion.

Tressel was a great I-AA head coach. Perhaps one of the greatest I-AA coaches of all time.

Urban Meyer head-coached at TWO lower-level programs prior to Florida. He worked his way up by proving himself twice. There was serious competition to hire him.

Harbaugh worked his way up through both the NFL and college ranks, and was a head coach at a lesser P5 school before joining Michigan, his alma mater.

Billy Napier is none of those things. He's a guy who got a shot at a G5 program after looking good coaching Mario's recruits. He had a couple of good years, but the P5 wasn't beating his door down.
then I misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying a coach couldn't go direct from G5 to P5, REGARDLESS of the success they had at G5.

and for the love of all that is holy, do not think I would ever compare Napier to ANY good coach. that's like comparing pearls to swine. (Napier had some success coaching with Saban, but then again, so did Dan Enos, so I'm not sure I would put much stock in those lines on his resume')

Uhhhh...no.

I believe Jim tressel was basically offered the Miami job before we settled on butch, but he was hesitant because of the sanctions

Advertisement
I’m happy to have the place within CIS that we have here in this thread… it’s always been a sanctuary from whatever chaos and bludgeoning is going on out there. This thread turns 7 in March of 2024. It was @Dwinstitles idea as I’ve made sure to mention before.

Me, you and @TheOriginalCane were here Day 1 on page 1. You were the 1st post after the OP and TOC was the 3rd. Who’d ever think it would go on this long. A credit to the group here really.

1694724272394.gif

We still have another 5k pages to add in 2024 when these ***** only win 3-5 games this year.

then I misunderstood your point. I thought you were saying a coach couldn't go direct from G5 to P5, REGARDLESS of the success they had at G5.

and for the love of all that is holy, do not think I would ever compare Napier to ANY good coach. that's like comparing pearls to swine. (Napier had some success coaching with Saban, but then again, so did Dan Enos, so I'm not sure I would put much stock in those lines on his resume')

All good, sir.

No, I was just pointing out that I think it was crazy for the Gaytors to compete against NOBODY ELSE to get Napier, when he really hadn't proven himself to be a guy who was ready to lead what is (while I hate UiF) a program with recent national championships.

But you are correct, guys can get started in G5 or I-AA, but to make the jump directly to a top-top P5 program is incredibly rare. I think Tressel and Meyer are the only guys to do it with such success, but I think they also built better track records than Billy did before he left Louisiana.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Back