Tears Gator Tears

It's stunning, actually.

Since I was a little kid growing up in Central Florida, all I ever heard was that Florida is the flagship state school in the best conference and everyone wants to be a Gator...

Now it's "if we don't overpay for every recruit, nobody will want to come to Flagship University in Titletown".

It's pathetic. They have zero pride. Everything they've ever told you about their program is a lie. They got lucky with ONE coaching search (Spurrier was a Gator alum, that's like pretending that hiring Mario was some genius move that nobody could have foreseen).

Just think about that. "We just don't have enough money to attract talent and win". That's a direct quote. Flagship University, with all the wealthy alums and decades of taking all the taxpayer funding at the expense of the directional schools like UCF and USF, and they are broke. Decades of being the "men's college" while F$U could only admit women. Empty pockets. Decades of being the only program in the state that was in a conference. BROKE.

"We don't have enough money".

And all the attributes they could sell, if only they had a recruiting guru for a coach. One of the best state schools (academically) in the country. Recent national championships. Hall-of-Fame alums (both of them). But, NOPE, without overpaying, there's no way to get talented players to go to Flagship University in Titletown.

Sad...

Advertisement
That’s just an excuse to throw the fans off. They have money they just have the wrong leadership. Same thing we went through when we didn’t want to take it serious. We had money it just people want to pocket it.

Shhhh...just keep it a secret...

In honesty, they "have" enough money. But when UM started to spend again, it was juuuuust at the front end of NIL.

Just being direct, right now, all the wealthy Gator alums have no DESIRE to contribute to the NIL side of the house. It's rational, and the alums are reasonably intelligent. They know **** well that every dollar donated to "Florida Victorious" is a wasted dollar that they could have set on fire and received more pleasure and enjoyment in the process.

The UNIVERSITY (because this part is THEIR money, not NIL money) needs to bit the bullet: fire Stricklin, and pay the Slingblade buyout. Then, they need to hit back-to-back homre runs in hiring a new AD and a new HC. And I've already approximated the cost will exceed $100M, between buyouts and payouts to get rid of the old and bring in someone who already has a good job somewhere else.

Right now, I'm happy that the Gator alums are tight-fisted with their NIL money. It's the wisest use of their money AND it helps us.

I actually heard that when he was at Bama he was the main recruiter on all their top targets. Saban wouldn’t have a legacy without SDB’s recruiting prowess. That’s what @flagator86 told me at least

1708263016204.png

Advertisement
Not to quibble with you, but you've mentioned the bolded twice, yet the article you linked states the following:

"In that scenario [i.e., termination without cause], Napier would be paid 50% of that buyout within 30 days of being fired while the remainder would be paid in equal installments (12.5%) over four years. The first installment would be paid on the first July 15 following his ouster and each July 15 after that until he has received the full buyout."

The buyout figure is 85% of his remaining contract. The payout of the buyout is 50% within 30 days, followed by 4 installment payments of 12.5% per year beginning the next July 15 after his termination.

All still money those clowns don't have to spare.

If they fire him after the season, they'd still have to pay 62.5% of the 85% within six months.

Plus the assistants.

Plus buying out a REPLACEMENT coach. Don't forget, if you have to pay another guy's $20M buyout, it actually costs $30M after the income tax gross-up.

Plus, you know, actuallyl paying the SALARY of the replacement coach and his staff.

This is a $100M commitment, easily. Much closer to $150M. Possibly $200M, assuming they could even attract a guy who is established.

Is anyone hearing that the gators are paying guys to make an early commitment simply to try and create some energy and drive fund (nil) raising? How in the world can they be hurting for cash?

They pay a recruit a little bit to commit, drive up donations, pocket the rest, lose recruit when they realize they aren’t good for a real NIL deal. Rinse and repeat

Advertisement
They thought they could spend money on early commits to build some momentum but they were counting on having a good year on the field to maintain that momentum. Once they flopped on the field, their class fell apart like a cheap suit.
FSU as well I think and even though they won on the field it still didn’t work. Paying for announcements of commitments in advance for the purpose of building momentum is smoke & mirrors recruiting.

If they fire him after the season, they'd still have to pay 62.5% of the 85% within six months.

Plus the assistants.

Plus buying out a REPLACEMENT coach. Don't forget, if you have to pay another guy's $20M buyout, it actually costs $30M after the income tax gross-up.

Plus, you know, actuallyl paying the SALARY of the replacement coach and his staff.

This is a $100M commitment, easily. Much closer to $150M. Possibly $200M, assuming they could even attract a guy who is established.
Plus a major NIL commitment

Advertisement
FSU as well I think and even though they won on the field it still didn’t work. Paying for announcements of commitments in advance for the purpose of building momentum is smoke & mirrors recruiting.
That playoff snub killed FSU’s reputation. It essentially said “the college football world doesn’t think enough of you to give an undefeated team an automatic invite to the playoff. Second tier program status.

Advertisement
It's stunning, actually.

Since I was a little kid growing up in Central Florida, all I ever heard was that Florida is the flagship state school in the best conference and everyone wants to be a Gator...

Now it's "if we don't overpay for every recruit, nobody will want to come to Flagship University in Titletown".

It's pathetic. They have zero pride. Everything they've ever told you about their program is a lie. They got lucky with ONE coaching search (Spurrier was a Gator alum, that's like pretending that hiring Mario was some genius move that nobody could have foreseen).

Just think about that. "We just don't have enough money to attract talent and win". That's a direct quote. Flagship University, with all the wealthy alums and decades of taking all the taxpayer funding at the expense of the directional schools like UCF and USF, and they are broke. Decades of being the "men's college" while F$U could only admit women. Empty pockets. Decades of being the only program in the state that was in a conference. BROKE.

"We don't have enough money".

And all the attributes they could sell, if only they had a recruiting guru for a coach. One of the best state schools (academically) in the country. Recent national championships. Hall-of-Fame alums (both of them). But, NOPE, without overpaying, there's no way to get talented players to go to Flagship University in Titletown.

Sad...
No Money GIF

Yea if I heard a place was giving out money just to pass through with my hand stuck out I’m passing through no matter what to get that free money.

It’s not binding and they can’t hold me into coming back so let’s get the crew together,load up the van and go get us a little free spending money….

Advertisement
Back