Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
Isn't this how every granny-**** starts?
I wouldn’t know about that

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

It's funny you mention that. A part of the article (that I didn't quote) indicated that Sunbelt Billy realized this, but he said "they had not prepared the QB to pooch punt it".

Here's the key takeaway, particularly since Slingblade Billy has built a cottage industry out of the phrase "scared money don't make money". Too many coaches out-think themselves, and take actions that are unnecessary in order to prevent a particular outcome that is highly unlikely or avoidable.

This is what I mean.

When Billy Karl Childers called that play, he was guaranteeing a safety instead of taking the chance to snap the ball to the punter and THEN take a safety if his worst fears were realized. You see from the QB shotgun snap in the video that they had a safety-man BEHIND the QB. Why? To cover in case the snap was bad. That safety-man could have ALSO taken a safety if the shotgun snap went bad. As it turned out, the shotgun snap was perfect.

Now, contrast that with what happens if you are in punt formation. Yes, the snap is a bit longer, but nothing prevents you from putting a safety-man back to assist with the POSSIBLE safety in the WORST CASE SCENARIO of a bad snap. But if you have a GOOD snap? Then everything goes perfectly, you punt the ball, and you don't automatically give up the two points.

And, sure, there are a couple of other POSSIBILITIES. A. The snap is bobbled. TAKE THE SAFETY. B. The punt is blocked. With a safety-man, you have a better chance of preventing a TD or taking the safety yourself, depending on the bounce of the ball. C. The return goes for a touchdown. Hey, that could happen under any circumstance.

In fact, taking the "free kick" after a safety only eliminates the "blocked kick" scenario, though it was pretty clear that App State was setting up for a return, they were not in a max-block-punt formation. On the other side, a "free kick" is more likely to result in a long return, given that you can't send gunners down the sidelines to make the tackle shortly after the kick is fielded. And if the PUNT was returned for a TD, Louisiana is only down by 2 with nearly 2 minutes to go, plenty of time to win it with a FG. But if the FREE KICK was returned for a TD after the safety, Louisiana is down 4 and has to score a TD to win.

Someone needs to hire me as a sideline logic/decision-making/clock management coach. I could win any coach an extra one or two games per year just by making better decisions than most of these coaches ever make on their own.
If Troy hired you, I'm sure you would have not only advised against taking the safety up by 4, but also not to squib the free kick into almost field-goal range.
****, they did everything possible to give that game away.

Advertisement
They were a bad snap away from losing to USF. Tennessee is going to manhandle them in Neyland. They probably end up 8-4 overall (losses to UK, Tenn., UGA, and A&M (game is at Kyle Field, AR is one dimensional, that'll be good enough)).

They were a bad snap away from losing to USF. Tennessee is going to manhandle them in Neyland. They probably end up 8-4 overall (losses to UK, Tenn., UGA, and A&M (game is at Kyle Field, AR is one dimensional, that'll be good enough)).
Yeah I think tamu gets them unless Richardson gets healthy. Ufag offensive line isn’t at our level either

Advertisement
Yeah I think tamu gets them unless Richardson gets healthy. Ufag offensive line isn’t at our level either
They're one-dimensional on O, and A&M has a good defense. It'll be a problem for them. LSU can also give them fits, and they've had their number for a few years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back