Gatas punter transferring to Miami

Barboni

Junior
UF punter Justin Vogel is in the final process of transferring to Miami, and while he was a Gator walkon he has plenty of talent. He will be a redshirt sophomore and will be able to play immediately because he's walking on.

"With his skills he's a great punter," said Vogel's high school coach, Dominick Ciao. "He's 6-5, weighs about 215 or so. He has a powerful leg. I think that he's got tremendous upside. According to the coaching staff at Florida he did a great job, was just in between a couple of players on scholarship there."

Vogel visited UM three weeks ago. He never punted in a game at UF.

"Miami's coaches said there's an open spot and they're looking for someone to come in and play right away," Vogel told CaneSport. "They said there's no punters there right now, that they were going to have to try to use their field goal kicker (Matt Goudis) to do punting. They said they saw my video, talked to coaches that have seen me punt - they want me to be their punter this season, said if I keep performing I can do that."

Vogel also said Cane coaches told him if he does well this year that they'll award him a scholarship.

"They're allotting a scholarship for a punter for next year, so if I'm good this year they'll just give it to me instead of giving it to someone else," Vogel said.

Vogel says he decided to transfer following last season when it became evident he wouldn't punt much at UF with the team having two scholarship punters.

Numerous schools asked him to come as a preferred walkon, including North Carolina, Texas and Florida State.

Vogel will arrive at UM for summer session I.

"I'm just in the process of finishing up all the transferring (paperwork), should be done soon," Vogel said. "I just felt Miami was the best fit for me. The opportunity is really good and I have family there."

Vogel competed in soccer and volleyball in high school while punting, playing safety, wideout and linebacker in football.

He averaged 45 yards per punt throughout his high school career. Vogel says at UF that his practice punts consistently average a minimum of four seconds hang time and 40 yards in the air.

https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1629018

Advertisement
Instant upgrade...our crop of punters this spring is atrocious..

Really wanna see what jon semerene can do at either kicker or punter..kid has a rocket leg

Advertisement
don't be excited. who cares? he's not taking up a ship right now. if he performs, he gets one. everyone wins. if not, we've lost nothing and we give it to someone else next year.

Advertisement
Can't really complain about our kicking/punting game since Golden has arrived. Obviously O'Donnell skews that view a bit but we've had solid special teams for the most part.

Take it. I was concerned about our punting for next year.

Advertisement
Great pick-up, being that he is a walk on. We have nothing to loose with this deal & everything to gain.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back